Any Tips for getting on the exercise bandwagon?

Options
Hi Everyone, I am trying to motivate myself to start exercising to help with my weight loss and health improvement program. I am currently in week 4 of the weight loss program and have been making pretty good progress just with diet. But i know that I need to exercise. I typically spend close to 12 hours a day in the office which is no really conducive to an exercise program.

Any tips or ideas on how to motivate myself would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    In the morning, put shoes on.... open front door.
    Go outside. Walk for 30 min. Repeat 5x per week, for starters.....

Seriously.... that's how I got back into the swing of things.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    In the famous words of Nike, Just Do It!!!! :) Good Luck!!!
  • DawnIP25
    Options
    I spend 8 hours a day in an office. I get to work an hour earlier and go to the gym which happily is just over the road.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Find something you like or go with a friend. If I had Zumba classes that were available every day when it was convenient to me I would go every day! Also if your finances allow, buy some cute workout clothes that make you feel good. Good luck!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Baby steps.

Try to incorporate more movement in your day. Take the stairs do a lap around your office to get where you need to go instead of going directly. At lunch at a 10-15 minute walk outside or around your building if possible. Once you get solid with that add a few more steps.

I also suggest a walking dvd. I personally love Leslie Sansone and she has some great 1 mile/15 minute walks. Requires you getting up 20 minutes earlier but it will make a difference. I like the Burn Body Fat dvd the best for cardio/weights. Between walking and changing eating habits that's how i lost all my weight.

It will be slow but the weight loss will happen.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It really is a matter of just "fake it til you make it". At first you just do it because you're forcing yourself to do it. After a while you realize you love the way you feel when you do it and hate the way you feel when you don't.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Find something that fits your schedule and you will enjoy. For me I loved zumba but the classes where I live are limited and it was not enough or flexible enough. I found a friend who loved the gym and started going with her just to try it out and wound up really liking it. The more I go, the more I keep going because it becomes routine and not as "tough" because I have built up some strength and endurance. It is about finding a groove that works for you and staying in it.
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    The key for me is just making it part of my routine. My gym is really close to the office, so I bring workout clothes with me every day and go straight to the gym after I leave the office. Going to group classes (like Spinning or Zumba) is great for me because those are scheduled; if I have something at the gym that I need to get to by a certain time, I'm more likely to go. Try to find something that you like, so you can look forward to it.

And like other posters have already stated above, it's really a matter of just getting off your butt and doing it. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. Make exercise a priority in your life--it's one of the best things you can do for yourself!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I believe in diving in headfirst...if you just ease into it, there's a greater chance you will stop. Find a friend who can work out with you so you are accountible to someone other than youself to make sure you show up. The buddy system really works.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Sounds cliche, but JUST DO IT! You can try to psych yourself up, buy new clothes, blah, blah, blah...but just get off your butt and do something...anything. If you don't like that thing, then try something else, till you find something you can do and stick to. Once you've done that and established a routine, then you'll eventually want to start challenging yourself to do more.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Usually once I change into my gym clothes I'm fine so my mantra lately has been "just put the shoes on".

When I started working out my goal was 3x/week, and once that became a habit I increased it to 4-5x/week. Now it's at 5-6x/week.

Small changes worked for me. Going from not working out at all to 6x/week was just way too much for me.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Find something you like or go with a friend.

That! Go with a friend. It is a support system. If you could "dive in" like others suggest, you wouldn't need to write the post in the first place.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options

What I was going to say! Just start- 5 minutes into your workout you won't want to stop!
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1. Find something that you like and WANT to do.
    2. Do it.
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as something that's optional. Make it as much part of your routine as brushing your teeth or paying the bills.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    kimosabe.....jump on it....jump on it...jump on it......\m/
    BAT-JUMP-2.gif
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it until you love it.

It'll happen.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^^^ Don't sit around waiting for motivation. Do!!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    It takes about 3 weeks to form a habit. Make a plan and commit to doing it for 3 weeks. Find something you like doing. Personally I love lifting, running & ice skating so that's what I do.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Jump in with both feet! & dont look back!