Losing Hope

Options
Do you ever think of what makes you make the decisions that you make, even though you know there are negative consequences? I have been struggling with my weight since I had my daughter in 2009. In my mind, I know that I shouldn't eat certain things, but I end up BREAKING and doing it anything... Then I feel so BAD about it afterwords... If I avoid the things that I'm not supposed to eat, I become sad or angry... What's up with that? I am trying to live a heathier life for me and my family. :o/ I TRULY have been trying hard, even if my logs may not look like it to some of you. One thing that I have changed was the amount of times that I go out to eat. I used to go out to eat every weekend with my fiance', my daughter, and sometimes my friends. That I have cut down SIGNIFICANTLY, but there are still problems. What motivates everyone to be on their Healthy Life Journey and how do you overcome the rocks thrown in your path? Maybe I can grab some motivation from someone here, because I am starting to lose all hope for weight loss for me...

Thanks again in advance! :smile:

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    dont stop eating the things you love- its all about moderation, log and as long as it fits in your macros, your fine!! if you cut everything you will binge eventually!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    A big part of this for me was either eating smaller portions or finding acceptable substitutes for things I loved. I love food, wine and beer. And I'm not talking light beer, I'm talking 11% alcohol Belgians and Stouts. Before I lost the weight I'd drink 3 beers, now I have one. I'm a salt craver, so I needed to find subs for chips & fried salty foods that were lower in calories. Pringles has a Fat Free version of their chips where you can eat a ton for not a lot of calories. I had to cut out fried foods and soda totally, I knew they were trigger foods. I'd have one and the day would be ruined because I'd figure oh well, I just ate/drank something I shouldn't, day is shot, might as well eat whatever now.

All in all, I can reassure the journey is worth it. You will look better, feel better, do things you never thought you'd do and you'll be so proud of yourself when it's all over - adopting good habits takes time. You can't just jump in and assume you'll never want ice cream again...
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A major thought that I kept in the back of my head during my weight loss journey was "What's the alternative." I mean really, give up and do what? Get bigger and then be more depressed and hate how you look (even more) and possibly get all kind of diseases? I mean as long as you are trying it will eventually come together...you just have to keep fighting.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is your daughter; I have two, and one struggles with her weight (she's 13). I wish that I had started eating healthier and exercising regularly sooner so that she would have had a better model as she was developing her eating habits. It's just something to keep in the back of your mind as motivation.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey, you stick with it some days are harder than others, look at my diary Saturday and Sunday were awful. If you give up and quit you know what happens, we all do. You got this, keep on trying! Figure out what works for YOU and not every one else. :flowerforyou: you keep it up! and keep that wedding date in mind and fitting in that pretty dress. You go girl! be your daughters biggest insperation in working hard for what you want.
  • phenetra
    phenetra Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This isn't the time to lose hope, we have come to far to turn back now.. you might need to sit down and reeval self, I know I have to do it .. exam my food log and my exercise log then I needed to redo my goals so with that being said, pick yourself up and do your self evaluation and I bet it will start to come together again,

Good Luck on your journey!

Stephanie
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You can still enjoy the same things you used to, just in different ways.

Sweets are my weakness! Now instead of baking full calorie/fat/sugar brownies, I've found a healthy brownie recipe with all natural ingredients (and only 80 calories per piece!) I can still have my chocolate fix but not feel so guilty about eating 2 pieces at 400 calories each.

You can still go out to dinner, as well. A lot of people here do "treat days" where you can abandon your healthy choices for one night of pleasure:wink: Order what you want, as long as you don't go crazy, and pick up your healthy habits the next day. At restaurants, you can also ask for half the normal portion (they'll pack the other half for you in a to-go box.) You can also order salads, soup, grilled chicken, etc. Look at restaurant menus ahead of time online, where the calories are listed. It'll keep you focused on the goal of eating something decent.

Let me just say... I've been trying to lose weight since I was 13, but always give up after a few weeks because I decided that food was too delicious to abandon. You know what? I've been promising myself for almost 10 YEARS (I'm 22 now!) that I'll lose the weight, and I still haven't. It's time to stop fooling around. Do it for your health. If you commit to weight loss right now, you'll reach your goal in no time. Time will pass anyway, and nothing will change unless your habits do!
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you beat yourself up... you eat more. I have had to come to that realization. If I am craving something... I have a portion size or half and then if I don't have cals for it I get my buns out for a walk. I'm starting to think of it as a bank account... if I don't have enough money (cals) then I need to work (exercise) so that I don't overdraft.
  • khowlett1
    khowlett1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you beat yourself up... you eat more. I have had to come to that realization. If I am craving something... I have a portion size or half and then if I don't have cals for it I get my buns out for a walk. I'm starting to think of it as a bank account... if I don't have enough money (cals) then I need to work (exercise) so that I don't overdraft.

Pretty much this...... workout a little more that day to get the treat that i wanted.. .... alll in all if you stay consistent on most days under calorie goal.. you will lose the weight. HANG IN THERE!!!