Not sure why I am not seeing any results...

Options
I've been going to the gym and trying to eat better for the past few weeks...my net calories are rarely over 1200, and yet I am gaining weight...what is going on?

Replies

• Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Muscle adds weight as well. Try measuring your body and see if you see results that way. If that doesn't work take away some calories slowly until you start to see results. But don't starve yourself.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Muscle adds weight as well. Try measuring your body and see if you see results that way. If that doesn't work take away some calories slowly until you start to see results. But don't starve yourself.

Uhm... No.
    She's right, don't starve yourself.

Muscle and fat weigh the same, muscle just takes up less room.
    If you really want some help.... let me know. I'm part of the eat more to weigh less motion. It works. ...... Unless you're short, eating that little is not a smart idea. Just sayin'. Msg me and I can help ya :flowerforyou:
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am going through the exact same thing as you! Im getting sooooo annoyed!!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle, you can not build muscle on a calorie deficit. If you're gaining you are either not in a deficit or you are retaining water. What kinds of workouts are you doing and how are you tracking your calorie burn? If you are eating back all of your exercise calories and you're over estimating what you burn then you could be eating at a surplus.

Also if you make your diary public we can see what you are eating and be able to offer better advice.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It takes months to put on muscle weight not weeks so thats probably not it, but you need to give us more details. How much are you exercising and what are you eating? If you've lost almost 70 lbs already, you may just be hitting a plateau and adding a new exercise routine like HIIT training or a completely new workout can help bust through a plateau. You could also be exercising too much and eating too little, but you need to add more details for people to give you really good advice.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Did you pick 1200 cause that's what MFP said? Figure out your BMR and TDEE then go from there. Losing takes time but you need ot make sure you're eating enough. Also, do you wear a HRM and know that you're really burning what you think you are? Food scale?

Check out Dan's post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have read of this thing happening before. When they started eating more they started losing weight.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

STOP! Don't overthink this process. You're going to hear one hundred ideas here, some correct, some flawed some simply false. But in the end, you're doing the right things. Keep working, keep sweating, eat as cleanly as possible. The results aren't fast in the mirror, but they should be in your heart and head. It's a long, tough journey. You've just started, so don't expect the physical until you're 90 days in.

Now stop reading posts, and go get an extra workout in.
  • marypatmccue
    Options

THIS.

It works. I am one of them.... !

I rarely, if ever, eat less than 1700 calories a day.
  • daninicoleshreck
    Options
    I do cardio 3 days a week, and strength 3-4 as well. Some days I do both. I go by the machine which probably isnt the most accurate, but I'm not eating that much....the only time I have ever lost weight was eating 500 calories a day and working out 2 hours a day 4 times a week..and i gained that back.
    PLus, I'm on a birth control that is notorious for causing issues with weight :/
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    PLus, I'm on a birth control that is notorious for causing issues with weight :/

So am I but I'm still losing-I feel like that's a myth. I think part of your problem is the 1200 calories-if you're working out that much you need to be giving your body enough fuel. Read the post I did the link for before
  • 281rocky
    Options
    I fight this every day. But I have found when I think the scale is never going to budge. It drops. Your body takes time to work out this diet change. and I lost a bunch at first and now lucky to lose 1 lb in two weeks. Keep it up and watch your protein it will fool you. :smile:
  • kmumansky
    Options

STOP! Don't overthink this process. You're going to hear one hundred ideas here, some correct, some flawed some simply false. But in the end, you're doing the right things. Keep working, keep sweating, eat as cleanly as possible. The results aren't fast in the mirror, but they should be in your heart and head. It's a long, tough journey. You've just started, so don't expect the physical until you're 90 days in.

Now stop reading posts, and go get an extra workout in.

This!!

Your body will catch up with you, just keep going!!
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    I do cardio 3 days a week, and strength 3-4 as well. Some days I do both. I go by the machine which probably isnt the most accurate, but I'm not eating that much....the only time I have ever lost weight was eating 500 calories a day and working out 2 hours a day 4 times a week..and i gained that back.

Sooooo... then what are you aking? it seems like you've got it all figured out! You know that apparently, you're a unique snowflake and that starving yourself and working out like a fiend are the ONLY things that work for you. Just do that, then! Besides, birth control makes us fat...

*sigh* :noway: :noway:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i wish that 1200 number would fall off the planet.

Its like people think weight loss is on imperial measurements. 12 aint magic just cause it looks like ti fits well with days and months.

we're all different sizes, we all need to eat different amounts.

stupid 80s scientists
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are eating more than you think. MEASURE your portions and track EVERY SINGLE THING that goes in your mouth, for starters. 1tbsp of peanut butter easily turns in to two if you don't measure, but you want it to be one, so you track one, and before you know it, you say you're eating 1200, but it's really 1800...
  • daninicoleshreck
    Options
    I'm only 5'1 and a half, so my BMR is only like 1588....so 1200 sounded about right for me o.o
  • daninicoleshreck
    Options
    I do measure what I eat; we have a food scale. ha
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    and more importantly- give it time. You're not going to see major changes in a couple weeks.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    As you gain muscle, your body hoardes water temporarily. It's not a gain of fat you see on the scale, don't worry. You've only been at it for a few weeks, give yourself more time. Also watch your sodium intake, it can make to retain water and blat, making you look and feel bigger than you are.