Runners: Half Marathon Training Programs

Options
I'm going to register for half marathon on april 20th. first half i've done in 4 years. anyone have a favorite training plan?? i'd like something that isn't completely overwhelming time wise, but i am already fit and can easily run 5-6 miles. TIA!

Replies

• RunsInTX
    Options
    Hal Higdon's plans worked pretty well for me and my schedule. His website has different levels of training (beginner, intermediate, advanced) for both half and full distances.
  • mleonards
    mleonards Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Did you incorporate cross training into them too? I will look him up!
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    I am currently training for a half in February and use the Hal Higdon intermediate training plan since I have a goal time that I am trying to achieve. I tweaked the running days a bit so that; 1) I can cross-train three times a week with this schedule, doubling up workouts on certain days, 2) take two rest days a week and 3) do my long runs on Saturday mornings. I refuse to work-out on Sunday's :noway:
  • sandgrass
    sandgrass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Hal Higdon as well. I am about 3 months into the Novice Supreme for the full marathon. Things are going great so far---I feel like I can do more but, I have been careful to follow it pretty closely. This guy knows what he is doing for sure!

Pick a plan of his that fits into your schedule and stick with it----

Yes there is cross-training as well.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'll also recommend Hal Higdon's plans.

I have used his Novice 2 twice this year for my first and second HM (I started running back in January) and found them to be good, challenging, but not overwhelming.

I have a third half in January, so right now, I'm really just maintaining that level. The next Half will probably be some time in late spring, and I plan to move up to his intermediate plan for that one.

Next year, or 2014, I may look into the marathon - and I plan to use HH's plan for that as well.

Ted
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am doing this as well! But not until next spring, I can really only run 4 miles now as it is.. :ohwell:

Some people have recommended Hal Higdon, does it cost anything to use his plans?
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    They have similar apps as C25K for marathons and halves. (Last I remembered) Not sure if that is something you are interested in taking a look at.
  • wiglett
    Options
    I'm on RunDisney's Tinkerbell plan cause I am running the Tinkerbell HM in few weeks!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on the 3plus2 system these days. I am just beginning running again (I am an ex-infantry sgt, so I have run in the past), but this system allows plenty of recovery time but is challenging at the same time. Good luck with your race!

Keith
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half in March. I looked at several training plans, then decided on continuing to run 3 days a week. I run 6.2 miles twice a week and a progressively longer run (last one was 12.33 miles) once a week. I eat before the long run and carry water. Happy running!
  • RunsInTX
    Options
    Yup. I go to the gym on my lunch hour 4 to 5 times a week. I probably should have taken it easier on the workouts but it's more of my therapy.
  • mleonards
    Options
    thanks everyone.... I do want to prevent injury... the last time I trained for a half i ended up with IT band issues...

I just looked at Hal Higdons' plans... not sure which one would fit me best. I've done 3 halfs in my history, but it's been 4 years....

I am fairly fit right now... I workout 5 days a week -- usually 3 runs and 2 cross training days.

So would Novice 2 or Intermediate fit me better do you guys think? I would love to finish the half with a 9 min/mile pace. I ran my last 5K in under 25 minutes.
  • RunsInTX
    Options
    I think the intermediate plan might work well for you. But stick to the rest days. No sense in aggravating the IT band again.
  • mleonards
    Options
    I think the intermediate plan might work well for you. But stick to the rest days. No sense in aggravating the IT band again.

Thank you I really appreciate it! And yes I don't want to aggravate my IT band. It's been really nice running and not having it hurt :) I think a big thing for me will be not doing other high impact cardio in addition to running. Just sticking to running, strength traning and then maybe one day of swimming or spinning....

Also the plan is 12 weeks... this half isn't until April 20th so I wouldn't be starting the program until the end of January. What the heck do I do until then? LOL I am one that just works best with a plan but I don't want to over train obviously :)
  • RunsInTX
    Options
    I've stretched out training plans before; copying/repeating lower mileage weeks in between higher mileage weeks. Especially if I know I have to work around holiday weeks when I may be otherwise preoccupied. The positive to doing this is you slowly build your mileage and confidence leading up to the longer runs. The downside is it makes for a really long training period. But, that's just me. And I'm by no means a professional at this :D
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am using the SmartCoach plan on Runnersworld.com - you set it to start from your current avg mileage per week, input your race data and past race times and set it to moderate, hard or very hard. It gives you paces to run at as well. I just started it, and am running a half in April as well. I was already running 25 miles per week, and 10 miles on the weekend, so it is starting me from that level, which is nice.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like the SmartCoach plan on Runner's World also. I used Hal Higdon's plan for my first several halfs, but lately I've started using Runner's World. I like that you can customize it a little bit and I like to run on less days per week because I also do CrossFit and yoga. Running about 4 days a week (typically 2 easy runs, 1 speedwork run and 1 long run) I feel prevents injury more effectively for me.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon all the way. I used his training schedule for my first half and I am agian for my second half coming up in January.

Good luck on your half.