Eating out for lunch today!

Options
OK- so I forgot my lunch and I am in a panic! What suggestions do you have for a quick lunch that will not kill my calories and the sodium intake for the day?

Replies

• stargirlJJ
    Options
    Are you able to heat anything up?
    Soup, slightly high on sodium but look for ones with less...
    A pre packed salad..
    Im not sure if your in the UK...but sandwiches, check again labels, but many tuna mayo on wholegrain are around 300 cals here..i got one from M&S the other day for 275 cals, turkey and cranberry coselaw, was amazing!?
    Buy already cut and peeled carrots, and a pot of low-fat houmous, obviously not eat the whole pot!
    Just a few suggestions :)

xxx
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would probably just think of some things you may want and test log them to see what how much sodium and calories are in the food item. That way you can do process of elimination. Subway is usually okay, I believe the grilled chicken and/or turkey has the lowest cals and sodium. You can also do a chick-fil-la grilled chicken strips with a fruit cup. But to be honest if your getting fast food the sodium is usually high.

Oh and never forget about the trusty salad with lemmon juice or a light dressing.

Hope your able to stay within your goals for today :-)
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A big ol' salad with some grilled chicken or tuna on top. Avoid dressing and cheese if you can! If you put enough of a variety of veggies in, I find that dressing and cheese gets in the way of the delicious taste of the veggies :)
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Double-grilled chicken chopped salad from Subway. I think it's about 300 calories and 40ish grams of protein with lots of veggies. I usually get mine with vinegar to avoid the dressing and some pepper.
  • bthewes2
    Options
    A nice salad goes a long way with some grilled chicken maybe for protien. Being as your ordering out though, they probably will put 9 ounces of chicken so you may want to skip on some of that and eat a half portion. Get the salad with fat free dressing normally (5-20 calories per 2 T.) or another old trick is dip your fork in the dressing first before picking up the lettuce etc...Just my thought.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you usually eat for lunch?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Even though the sodium content was high (pickled veggies make things tasty but have tons of salt), I had a Oven roasted chicken chopped salad at Subway for the first time yesterday and it was really good and low in calories. I had a hard time even finishing it all...

If you just add fresh veggies and avoid dressing the sodium content will be much lower.

OR

If you have access to a grocery store with a prepared food section, pick up a grilled chicken breast and a box of frozen veg to pop in the microwave. Avoid sauces and cheese...
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    What options are close to work?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If there is Jimmy John's in your area, try an unwich, hold the mayo. If not, maybe stop at a grocery for some Greek yogurt and apple slices or peanut butter and carrots or celery.
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How about sushi?
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you usually eat for lunch?
    around 400-500
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Chickfila, subway, wendy's, taco bell, mcdonalds... not good choices... lol. That is usually why I "pack"
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    If I have to eat out, I usually go for the chains because their nutritional info is posted online. You can pretty much eat anywhere--you just need to look up the info and fit it into your budget for the day.

I usually do pretty well with Jimmy John's, Wendy's, or Chick-Fil-A.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Chickfila, subway, wendy's, taco bell, mcdonalds... not good choices... lol. That is usually why I "pack"

I really like the Cobb salad at Wendy's, I think a full sized one is about 450 calories and 45 grams of protein. You could get it without bacon and cheese to save more calories, but the deliciousness level goes down.

Or a small chilli with a plain baked potato....pour the chilli on top....delicious.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Chik-fil-a is the only fast food I eat. Chicken nuggets and carrot raisin salad or a fruit bowl are good choices.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    chick fil a grilled chicken is 290 calories..and side salad is like 90 i think, always works for me
  • leslie4302
    leslie4302 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chik-fil-a grilled chicken sandwich and a fruit cup!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Wendys, something with bacon and chicken
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    One day won't kill ya.

Go eat something dang delicious.

Don't worry about sodium as it will just cause temporary extra water retention. Well, if you have a medical condition that wants you to watch it then do so.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    OK- so I forgot my lunch and I am in a panic! What suggestions do you have for a quick lunch that will not kill my calories and the sodium intake for the day?

i suggest a fresh n fit meal from Subway... they are yummy and low in calories