Routine..what do you do/recommend?

Options
Ok so, I am constantly changing the exercises I do, and whilst this is great for not getting bored it's not so good for progress!! Oh and I am talking strength training here- not cardio. Basically the reason I never have a set workout routine, is becuase I'm never really sure what I should be doing for a good total body workout?!

What do you do? And can anybody recommend a routine?!! I'm particularly all about the abs, bum and inner thighs!! Thanks in advance :o) x

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X is good as it hits all major muscle groups and incorporates muscle confusion (changes routines every 4 weeks).
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    All three of those areas will be hit greatly by cardio. RUN BABY!!! :happy: The elliptical has done wonders for my assets :tongue:

This is what my week this week will look like:

Monday - cardio (25 minutes on the elliptical, burned 250 calories)
    Tuesday - strength training and light cardio (20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill)
    Wednesday - cardio (60 minutes of turbo kick class)
    Thursday - strength training and light cardio (15 minutes on the treadmill)
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - cardio (40 minutes on the elliptical)
    Sunday - strength training and light cardio (20 minutes on the treadmill)

I may also throw in some random routines at home since I miss doing them since I've started exclusively working out at the gym. I find my routines on Self.com and in Shape magazine. They're great. I like the 8 Minutes to Slim which is mainly for your lower body. I did it Sunday & felt it EVERYWHERE. :happy:

Hope this helps!
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For weight training, the best thing you can do is change it up. Muscle confusion is the key to not letting the muscles get used to a routine, therefore always having to work.

I agree that P90X is a great program with a lot of muscle confusion.
  • Tubbyangel
    Options
    hey there a friend of mine (she is marrying a personal traniner) has a website where she puts up quick routines using either ketlebells or bodyweight, some concentrate on certain areas and other do full body work outs, give it a look it gives varied workouts you can pick and choose from and most of them you can do in your livingroom. you might find our northern ireland accent a bit hard to listen to though lol

www.myomytv.com

maybe this will help
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A couple of suggestions: Check out stumptuous.com for weight training info including routine ideas. Second, check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Schuler, Cosgrove, and Forsythe. Excellent workout routines and meal ideas, on top of the outstanding information on our body, health, and lifting.
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    I'm not posting on here with advice, I'm just making sure I can find this thread again tomorrow!
  • sparklepants
    sparklepants Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to have a good look!! Good to know that different exercises are actually beneficial- I kind of figured that I'd need to repeat to build on that area!! So my mixture is probably doing me good :)

Becky- hilarious!