Stretch Marks (Before and After)? Anyone with pictures?

Options
Hey All!

Just starting my journey - however I can't wrap my head around what my stretch marks will look like when I lose this weight!

I never had stretch marks - then I got pregnant. 38 weeks and nothing, then WHAM! All over my stomach (from my belly button on down).

I gained 55 lbs during my pregnancy due to the fact that I barely ate 500 carlories prior to pregnancy and killed my metabolism, once I started eating again, I PACKED IT ON.

Now my sweet (and oh-so-worth-it) daughter is 12 months old. They are less red now, but not faded. I was wondering if anyone had a picture of their stretch marks before and after?

I know that tanning will help fade them, but I try to stay away from tanning beds.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• chrisilouhoo
    chrisilouhoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump.

I'd really like to know what to expect with this too...

(congrats on your one year old!)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Never been pregnant, but i look as though i was, especially with the marks!
    Then
    sets-5.jpg?w=560

Now
    snap1.jpg?w=560
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The EXACT same thing happened to me! No stretch marks til the last second, then everywhere! I used "Elastin3" 2-4 times a day until the bottle was gone, and now my marks are just silvery little white lines that are barely noticeable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDOYxbaIy0rMsOplhkDxxcgeremJLUCy-rHqi0rWSHjmA3rLVS
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, I kind of wonder about this as well...I have horrible horrible marks from having my kids...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    They will fade - I promise you! It seems to be a different amount of time for everyone though. (So many factors - age, skin elasticity, etc.). Mine were the angry, dark red marks, and they were completely back to my normal skin colour by the time each baby was 18 months old. And I'm an older momma... ;) Eat healthy, nutritious foods, and get lots of fluids - these building blocks will give your skin it's very best chance of repairing itself!
  • heathernub
    Options
    I've spoken with a Surgeon (specializing in Bariatric surgery - and thus dealing with this issue a lot) and a Dermatologist...

Basically - stretchmarks are "damaged skin" - when they are "red" they are still possible to minimize the look - the same way you can minimize the look of a scar with creams, etc. However, once white - they are just that "scars" and you can't really do anything.

So if they are still red - then use creams - speak with your dermotologist - they have some creams that can minimize the look - but again - keep in mind that they are likely not going to be 100% gone.

Good Luck

Also - when losing/gaining weight rapidly - the more water the better - and weight training is best - not necessarily "weights" - but resistance - rather than cardio - to help with skin elasticity and bouncing back...think - pilates/yoga, instead of only cardio, or boxing, or pushups against your own body weight, work with resistance bands - etc.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mommy of 7 here. I have gotten stretch marks from each of the pregnancies. Some more than others. As you lose the weight, they turn more silvery and then even closer to your normal skin tone. Some of mine have completely disapeered ( minor ones), others are much less noticable, but they are still there. It does look so much better after the weight is gone. I never done the tanning thing, so I don't know how that would affect them.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't have photos (I tried to avoid them!) but my kid is now 2.5 and my stretch marks are exactly the same. Light pink and or silvery but still very noticeable. I think they are a little more noticeable with the weight loss since my skin has lost elasticity in general on my stomach and the skin just kind of looks gross in general.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    They will fade - I promise you! It seems to be a different amount of time for everyone though. (So many factors - age, skin elasticity, etc.). Mine were the angry, dark red marks, and they were completely back to my normal skin colour by the time each baby was 18 months old. And I'm an older momma... ;) Eat healthy, nutritious foods, and get lots of fluids - these building blocks will give your skin it's very best chance of repairing itself!

^This.

Also, be careful of stretch mark creams if you are still nursing/pumping because some are not safe for nursing mothers. I remember looking into them when I was still nursing. It turns out I just needed to give them time, which meant no money leaving my wallet.

Mine are still there, but you have to look pretty hard, and my son will be 2 in a month and a half.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Price we pay for being mothers! From my experience, I am sorry to say, these stay put! but on the other hand it depends on your skin whether you scar easily or not. I have myriads of stretch marks on my thighs and under arms from putting on weight at various stages of my life. Unfortunately, mine are here to stay:cry: Some people have "growth spurt" stretch marks too.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    come on stem cell people! sort this out!
  • chrisilouhoo
    chrisilouhoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have no pictures but mine have faded a little it really just depends, every body is different. I was in the same boat as you though, 38 weeks I had a few but not many then BAM as soon as I had her I was covered in them :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!