Hello... new to myfitness pal

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Joyce and I live in Cleveland, TN. I am 39 years old and on the start of a new path on my weight loss journey. I am so tired of being tired. I signed up today and am not realizing just how many calories that i put into my body. This is NOT good. When i thought i really didn't eat much, and i don't as far as amount of food, it is the amount of calories that i really need to change. So far today I have consumed more than 1400 calories and that is just 3 slices of toast, and some ramen noodles. I didn't realize how many calories those things actually have. WOW!!! so now that I see it, I can change it... thank you myfitnesspal.

Replies

• xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    Welcome! and good luck on your journey! Dont give up :)
  • grundyk
    grundyk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here to and only have one friend. I did'nt really relize either what i was doing to myself until i looked in the mirror.

I'm married with 2 kids both boys. So far i've lost 4 pounds but i may have gained it back i don't know i haven't weighted in a

few days. I usually get on my ipad and fool with this but i'm here on my computor today. If we become friends maybe we can help each other work our way through this and we can lose the weight together.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It is all about choices, choice of wanting to lose weight and then every bite you put after that is a choice, learn to make better choices and you can eat more and lose weight.

Today I have /and wil eat(en):
    Breakfast: oatmeal and a banana with a touch of brown sugar, shake of cinnamon and a quarter cup 2% milk = 303 calories
    Lunch: 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced, 1/2 orange sweet pepper, 1 whole tomatoe, 1/2 cup refried beans with 1 TBLS shredded cheese and .8 ounce tortialla strips = 345 calories
    For Dinner: Mediterranean chicken stew, Everyday Food Magazine 1.75 cups with 1/2 cup parmesean polenta = 469 calories
    Snacks: baked chips, 1 cup grapes and 2 clementines = approximately 315 calories
    This puts me at about 1433 cals, my daily goal is 1410 and I got to eat a lot, maybe not perfect but also fairly balanced.

I will do some exercise today, walking, yoga and/or roller skating so I could eat even more. Add to this some tea and 8-12 8 ounce glasses of water.

Find some friends, cruise healthy recipe websites and plan, for me that is huge having on hand loads of food choices so I can make meals and better choices throughout the day. For me my biggest factor to weight gain is portions, all the above I might have eaten 6 months ago the difference is I would eat 2-5 x (or more of everything). I measure and weigh everything that goes in my mouth, maybe not as much on veggies but it is hard to overeat strictly on veggies.

Good luck, it can be hard but as you said you are tired that is hard too.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me for motivation :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how many calories we mindlessly consume? You could have had a bowl of cereal, a banana, milk and almond slivers and Trop 50 orange juice with calcium and vitamin D for under 400 calories! A much better(if not perfect) start to your day. I believe it is better to make small changes at first. Look at other members food diaries to see how they get the most VOLUME out of their calories for the day.Start with a quick 10 minute walk and then build on that each week as you get stronger. Read the posts, blogs and forums for information.(Ignore the useless comments and haters here). Good Luck and God Bless!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me, my diary is public, so you can see what I choose to eat daily, it is a good way to see how people consume their calories. goodluck
  • tbarnett24
    tbarnett24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the open food diary thing, it's awesome you can see what is working for some and get other meal ideas. Mine is open your always welcome to check out what I'm eating!
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1400 calories seems like a lot for three slices of toast and some Ramen noodles. Do you have the right quantities?
  • KayKounts
    Options
    Hey there. My name is Kayla and I was recommended to this site by a co-worker who is aiding me in trying to get to a healthier weight and lifestyle. I had bariatric surgery about 3 yrs ago and lost a HUGE amount of weight but kinda fell off and now I am in need of getting back on the right track. Thankfully my portions are relatively small to begin with but I needed to UP my protein intake and eat a bit more frequently since I was only doing 3 meals a day which was not working out for me. Now I am highly motivated and ready for the challenge. Havent started my complete workout at this time due to scheduling, but starting next week, I will be back in the gym. Wish me luck ladies!! My goal is April 3,2013. 15-20lbs to start!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck!
  • sossoft
    Options
    12/12/12 Make a wish! And my wish, my goal is to live a new healthy lifestyle. Last year I lost few kg (I'm not overweight) and this year when I start to think more about food (learn about vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan etc) I started to gain weight. And it didn't go away. It's just a few pounds but I won't wait to pack on more to change. So, I eat healthy, 'cheat' occasionally when I feel like but mainly, I started to work out and want to keep it as an habit. I'd like to have a partner who is in the same situation, looking to stay fit and healthy and maybe lose few pounds along the way. I purchase the 8-week weight loss program from Fitness Blender, I watch workout videos on line, go to the gym and sometimes to fitness classes. I started only a week ago so let's see how it goes.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    It's so easy to take in way more calories than you think are. There are so many foods that I used to think of as really good choices that are surprisingly high in calories. Until I started logging everything I ate and looking at the nutrition info before eating it, I made sooo many wrong choices. Add that to my fondness for liquid libations and it explains why I'm here.

Congrats on taking the first step, as you learn it'll be easier to make better choices. Best of luck. Sending FR, but anyone on here can add me. : )
  • Joyce37312
    Joyce37312 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PaulFields56 : 1400 calories seems like a lot for three slices of toast and some Ramen noodles. Do you have the right quantities?

Yes the quantities are right... the problem is i ate 3 packages of ramen noodles... i didn't realize how many calories were in it. well i know now.