Older Men Success Stories?

Options
Hey there, this is my first topic posted on MFP, and it is in regard to my father. I don't want this to be a crazy long post so I
ll try to keep it short and sweet.

My entire family has changed their lifestyle recently. My brother has lost 50 lbs, my mom has lot 40, and I have lost 40. The one person who needs it the most though is my father. He is a large man, 6'2" and probably around 350+ lbs, he is also 62 years old. He started eating right and dropped a few pounds then stopped. He always says to me "I'm too old and too fat." I really want him to get healthy and live a better life. I know I can not make someone change their lifestyle, they have to do it for themselves, but I want to try. I want him to be around when I get married, and be around for my future kids. At the rate he's going, he will not be.

The reason for this post: I was hoping to get some older, larger men's success stories that I can share with him. I have found a few from prior posts and they are great. I want to show him he is NOT too old and NOT too big. He CAN do this. And he needs to do this for his family.

Men, (or those who know of men with results) can you post your before and after photos on here with age and weight? Maybe an inspirational story I can pass along to my father? Or, if you'd like, you can message me.

I am hoping to assemble some sort of inspirational book for him by Christmas.

I appreciate all of you!

Replies

• Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump..

my dad is the same..and he has diabetes and some kidney troubles..so he has some restrictions with his diet..
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I can help with the marriage and kid thing, but my dads also old and overweight and very unhealthy. I'm gonna miss the *kitten*, but if he doesn't want to change I don't want to stress the rest of my life with him around nagging him to do something he doesn't want. Even with the changes I have been through he still lives to eat. Just my opinion.
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not 62. I'm 50, but my son is your age. I am about 6'1" and started at 312 pounds. That was November 22, 2011. I've lost 91 pounds so far, without a lot of exercise - some, but not a lot. I did it because of a diagnosis of diabetes. I dodged that bullet and brought my blood sugar and blood pressure into normal range. I still have a ways to go, but I'm heading in the right direction.
    I would say that it's never too late to be healthy. Heck, you might as well be getting healthy as anything else. My knees certainly do appreciate it. I don't have an account with a picture place to be able to post yet. You are more than welcome to go to my page and look through the before and "so-far" pics, though. You can also friend request me and I'll send a private message with more info for him.

Endeavor to persevere!

Edited cuz I got the year wrong. :-)
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not 62. I'm 50, but my son is your age. I am about 6'1" and started at 312 pounds. That was November 22, 2011. I've lost 91 pounds so far, without a lot of exercise - some, but not a lot. I did it because of a diagnosis of diabetes. I dodged that bullet and brought my blood sugar and blood pressure into normal range. I still have a ways to go, but I'm heading in the right direction.
    I would say that it's never too late to be healthy. Heck, you might as well be getting healthy as anything else. My knees certainly do appreciate it. I don't have an account with a picture place to be able to post yet. You are more than welcome to go to my page and look through the before and "so-far" pics, though. You can also friend request me and I'll send a private message with more info for him.

Endeavor to persevere!

Edited cuz I got the year wrong. :-)

I appreciate your response. 91 pounds is incredible for a years work. Congratulations, I am really happy for you.

I like what you said "you might as well be getting healthy as anything else" that's very true. I will look through your photos and snatch a couple to put in my inspiration folder for him. Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

I am hoping these real world situations will help him realize he can do it. He's not too old, he's not too far gone. He can do it, and better his life, and be here for another 20 to see me grow, and to see his current and future grandkids grow.

Take care and good luck finishing your journey! :)
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options

This is incredible. Thank you very much for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!