Low fat dressing, I banish you!

Options
I banish you to the depths of diet hell. I will eat you no more. You taste like crap and are full of salt. From this day forth, I decree that only full fat olive oil and vinegar shall grace my salad, and you shall nevermore see the light of day! Let the Real Food Revolution... BEGIN!!!!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I am with you!!! Hate low-fat dressing...it's awful flavor

Good housekeeping good food vinegarette (romaine, tomato, cucumber, feta)

Marie's poppy seed dressing (spinach, goat cheese, almonds & strawberries)
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    Agreed!! I mix 2 parts balsamic vinegar with 1 part purely Canadian maple syrup!

Yummy!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Yes! I use 1 part oil (usually olive or sesame) to 1 part acid (vinegar or lemon juice). Tastes great and I actually know what I am putting in my body. I would rather have a simple dressing made of real ingredients than a "lite" dressing full of sugar and unpronounceable fillers any day.
  • mebras3775
    Options
    How do you add you ticker to the bottom of your response? I am new here and I dont know how to do that. I would try the wishbone salad spritzers. each spray is 10 calories and you dont need by 10 sprays, if that to coat your salad.
  • healthbug
    healthbug Posts: 21
    Options
    Hooray! Lemon juice, olive oil, and cracked pepper make for good eatin' too!
  • lauribear
    lauribear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me too!! The homemade combinations are endless, it takes all of 15 seconds to make and best of all, I can pronounce all of the ingredients!

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. I'm going to try that tonight. Is it just those 2 ingredients, no oil?
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    1 egg yolk
    1 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    parsley, finely chopped
    cayenne pepper
    1/2 lemon, squeezed (lime works, too)
    1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix egg, mustard, and balsamico. While mixing, add olive oil in steady stream. Add in parsley, shallot, and spices.

This will make enough dressing to last you a week, for two people, and it stores well in the fridge.

I LURVE this dressing. Make it all the time at home. Goes especially beautifully over spinach salad with dried cranberries. The tanginess works.
  • audiophile
    Options
    Aghhh, the low-fat stuff always tastes like BO! Horrible to say, but true!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    How do you add you ticker to the bottom of your response?

Follow the "signature" link up above the message board and then over on the right side is a link to "tickers". I think that is where it is at least.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    Me too!! The homemade combinations are endless, it takes all of 15 seconds to make and best of all, I can pronounce all of the ingredients!

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. I'm going to try that tonight. Is it just those 2 ingredients, no oil?

No oil. It's sweet and tangy. Although perhaps adding a little oil would help it stick to my salad better instead of sinking to the bottom of the bowl :frown: