Losing the Inches before the Weight

Options
Granted, I've only been really faithful with this journey now for two weeks with eating and working out. I have lost a total of about 5lbs or so, but I have lost some inches and I can feel it in my clothes. My issue is when does the weight really start coming off...I mean, I'm focused and encouraged to keep moving, but how do I not get discouraged (although my MFP friends keep me motivated).
Any suggestions, I'm open~

Thanks much

Replies

• 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I have lost anything cuz I did not weigh myself but when I look at my pictures it really encourages me to keep on moving :p keep it up even if it feels like youre stuck!! My MFP friends are the BEST they always tell me to keep it up and keep moving forward!!
  • Megzfitlog
    Options
    It took me a couple of months before I threw out my scale. I decided to just weigh myself once a month for MFP statistics. The scale was messing with my head. At the time, it had only shown an 11 lbs loss, but I had dropped nearly 4 pant sizes. Even though the difference was obvious in how my clothing fit, I felt like a failure because of what the scale said. For me, the scale was the discouraging part. I feel much better since ditching it.
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost more inches than pounds myself. It can be frustrating not to see the scale move, but the feeling of being able to get into smaller clothing is amazing. :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first. My first week I lost 6 pounds but the second week I lost 1 pound. I was so bummed by it that I started to weigh myself every morning. Well, that upset my bf so he now hides the scale from me and let's me weigh myself once a week. That may seem harsh but even though I lost 1 pound I had lost inches all over and went down a size in pants. I figured I was probably retaining a bit of water because I hardly ever drank water before this new lifestyle and now its all I drink. Just remember to be patient and dont give up. Don't weigh yourself too much because the scale can be deceiving. When you slip those jeans on and button them without having to do the funky jean dance, you'll know you're on the right path!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple of months before I threw out my scale. I decided to just weigh myself once a month for MFP statistics. The scale was messing with my head. At the time, it had only shown an 11 lbs loss, but I had dropped nearly 4 pant sizes. Even though the difference was obvious in how my clothing fit, I felt like a failure because of what the scale said. For me, the scale was the discouraging part. I feel much better since ditching it.

^^^^THIS! My bf recently threatened to throw it away because it was upsetting me even when slipping into smaller pants! Now I just weigh myself once a week when he brings it out of hiding.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Granted, I've only been really faithful with this journey now for two weeks with eating and working out. I have lost a total of about 5lbs or so, but I have lost some inches and I can feel it in my clothes. My issue is when does the weight really start coming off...I mean, I'm focused and encouraged to keep moving, but how do I not get discouraged (although my MFP friends keep me motivated).
    Any suggestions, I'm open~

Thanks much

Wait, what? You've lost five pounds in two weeks. It already started! :flowerforyou:
  • Clarice530
    Options
    Thank yo my MFP friends, you guys are some of the BEST People around. The encouragement and understanding is so valuable during this process. Thank each of you for your advice and support.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ckleczka
    ckleczka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not focusing on the numbers moving - or NOT moving - on the scale has been the hardest part of this whole process for me. To get past it, I really started to focus on the inches being shed. Then I stopped avoiding the mirror and really started to look at myself noting the changes happening. This has been a revelation, no lie! Now it's the little changes like the fat on my back disappearing, my waist getting smaller and my belly shrinking. It is awesome to not avoid the mirror anymore. And the more I measure and watch the changes, the less important that slow moving - or not bloody moving at all- scale is becoming.

And btw, 5 pounds in 2 weeks is outstanding. Congratulations!

Caley
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everybody's BODY function is very different. A victory could be a measurement change or it could show on the scale. I agree with the poster that said she threw the scale out the window because it will mess with your head. The whole point of the journey is about you feeling better, and feeling better about how you look. Does that feeling come from a digital number?
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I go through the same feelings. I lost 3lbs my first week and then in the last 3 weeks have only lost less than 2lbs. I am getting stronger at the gym, I am building my endurance, I feel better and my sleep has improved. I don't get headaches like I used to now that I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. My Fiance is threatening to throw out our scale for fear that it not budging will cause me to fall off track rather than celebrating the accomplishments in strength and endurance and just overall feeling a lot better. I think this is the main problem for women and why we fall off track. We put too much into what the scale says to determine our success, we need to take it from the men who normally don't care about the scale and gauge their success on how the look/feel and there progress in the gym. Good luck to everyone on their journey :) Feel free to add me as well if you'd like another friend to do this journey with :)