I know it's all math but I'm nervous. Help..?

Options
So I've lost 9lbs since September, slow and steady like I wanted so I could eventually get my my goal and MAINTAIN. But as I get closer and closer to my goal I fear more and more that once I get to my maintenance calories, I'll just gain it all back. I sometimes even go as far as to think the 9lb lost so far is imaginary and the scale is wrong, or the inches lost aren't real, I just didn't take them right the time before. I guess you can call this an unhealthy relationship with food and my body, so how do I get past this?

I'm thinking of maintaining once I hit exactly 130lbs (I'm currently 131.4) so I can know whether or not my fears are irrational or not. Then once I know I can maintain that for a few weeks I`ll lose the rest (5-10lbs).

I did some research and it looks like for my stats and activity level, if I eat around 1800 calories/day I will maintain 130lbs, If I eat 1400 calories I will lose fat, and 1100 calories/day it will be extreme fat loss. I've been eating 1300 with success.

People with similar stats (5'2" 130lbs 22 y/o female gym 4days/week) Does this sound about right?
Anyone else nervous like this?

Replies

• ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Also want to note I plan on using MFP forever, or for a very long time at least, to make sure I'm logging and not going over maintenance calories. A lot of people get to their goal and don't come back on here until they gain all their weight back because they were eating way more than they thought. I plan on logging my maintenance calories and exercise just as I am logging now during weight loss. It's been the key to my success...
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes I am nervous too! Once I hit my goal I have no idea how to mantain?????? Would love to see everyones answers.
  • bisma91
    bisma91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, even I feel nervous that once I lose weight I'm going to gain it all back. But I have friends who have lost quite a few pounds and have been maintaining it for months now. They just stay within the calorie limit and walk around 5 days a week. So I would say just maintain at 130 for a few days for the sake of getting rid of your fears. See how many cals you consume to stay at that weight. Once you've done that you'll know your 'maintain cals' for later and can get back on track again :) Just don't stop walking or exercising even when you're maintaining. Walking always helps kill the extra cals.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'2", 126 pounds, 50 yrs (so a lot older than you are), eating 1567 cal. and losing about 1/2 to 1 lb per week. When I started out in Sept. I ate 1200 cal, but upped it after awhile due to reading more info on this site (like BMR and TDEE stuff). If you are planning to keep logging and obviously are willing to seek out information and research things, try not to worry. I think you will do very well on maintenance. I plan to keep logging too. True weight gain doesn't happen overnight, so you will have time to tweak your calories and find a balance.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!

I think you're really overthinking this - stressing yourself out way too much.

"I'm thinking of maintaining once I hit exactly 130lbs" -- how much does your weight fluctuate day to day? Once you've hit 130, you're still going to have times when you weigh in higher (and probably times where you weight in lower). Can you handle that? The way you're talking, it's like after you start "maintaining," if you weigh in one day at 132 or 133 or whatever, it's the end of the world. Your weight fluctuates! 9 pounds is awesome, but it should not be the deciding factor in your level of happiness

Honestly, you sound like you spend way too much time in front of the scale. Perhaps you should look for the advice of some of the people around here who are much more into strength training and taking measurements than they are interested in worrying about the scale. I promise, no one but you knows the difference between you being 130 and 135 (or whatever)

As for maintaining, I'd suggest gradually increasing your calories, rather than doing it all at once. Up it by 100 for a week, then another 100 next week, etc (or whatever makes sense to you). If you get to around 1800 and see the scale go up a couple pounds, you have to wait it out. Your body will take a little time to adjust to the different diet, and if you cut back on calories again because of fear of gaining you'll never find your maintenance number.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far!

I think you're really overthinking this - stressing yourself out way too much.

"I'm thinking of maintaining once I hit exactly 130lbs" -- how much does your weight fluctuate day to day? Once you've hit 130, you're still going to have times when you weigh in higher (and probably times where you weight in lower). Can you handle that? The way you're talking, it's like after you start "maintaining," if you weigh in one day at 132 or 133 or whatever, it's the end of the world. Your weight fluctuates! 9 pounds is awesome, but it should not be the deciding factor in your level of happiness

Honestly, you sound like you spend way too much time in front of the scale. Perhaps you should look for the advice of some of the people around here who are much more into strength training and taking measurements than they are interested in worrying about the scale. I promise, no one but you knows the difference between you being 130 and 135 (or whatever)

As for maintaining, I'd suggest gradually increasing your calories, rather than doing it all at once. Up it by 100 for a week, then another 100 next week, etc (or whatever makes sense to you). If you get to around 1800 and see the scale go up a couple pounds, you have to wait it out. Your body will take a little time to adjust to the different diet, and if you cut back on calories again because of fear of gaining you'll never find your maintenance number.

I think every part of this reply was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :)

I think I belong to the "who cares if you're skinny if you're not happy" school of weight loss. You're doing things right -- just take care of yourself, you will be fine. I bet you'll find that maintaining is not so difficult, it may just take time and adjustment. Good luck!
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    I'm very very similar stats to you (why I added you as a friend :) and this is actually my second go around. I lost 13 pounds and was 4 short of my goal weight and I gained it all back in a matter of two months. I completely got off track and didn't set new maintence goals like I should of. I think testing it out for a while is a great idea. Good luck to you!
  • meni79
    meni79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats as you too but I am older than you. 1800 calories to maintain sounds like a lot. But once I get to my goal, I plan on tracking my food every day too. I agree, add 100 calories a week and see what happens. Good luck to you, I hope we both can reach our goal soon :)