Cardio, slow&long or short&fast, hiit?

Options
Hey all,

I tried doing a search for this but i could not find anything, so sorry if its a re-post.
OK so im not so sure about what cardio i should to be doing or both or all for weight loss. Some people are saying long periods(40-60min) at a slow/medium rate(keeping your heart rate steady for fat burning?) is better and some people are telling me that its better to do short intervals at higher intensity or hiit(heart rate going up and down). Ive been doing a combo of shorter intervals and hiit along w/ weight training. I haven't done much slow/medium long periods of cardio but now im thinking i should be. Any ideas, suggestions, comments..etc? Thanks all!
Ok now im even more confused than when i started writing this lol..ayi ayi:frown:

Replies

• Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, so I'm glad you asked this question. Recently I heard that you should do cardio for longer periods of time at a steady medium rate.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I should imagine that a bit of both may do the job quite nicely :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do both at different times... I'm curious to see what other answers are but this is what I do:

On strength training days, I do "lighter cardio" (I consider light to be lower in calories - so it's usually about 100-150 on strength days) and I do intervals on the treadmill but not hiit 'cause I would wear myself out going as fast as I could...so I just go as fast I can comfortably for a long time and then go back down to walking fast and back and forth.

On just cardio days, I do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical, steadily burning 10 calories per minute or higher so I'm going at a medium rate for a long period of time...

This seems to work for me as I've been losing 1 lb. per week for a few weeks now that I've been on MFP. If there's something else I should be doing that would speed up the process a little, I wouldn't mind hearing about it!!
  • GreenieBean
    Options
    I read in a couple of books including one of Jillian Michaels books that high intensity is better. I forgot why, i don't have the books with me right now...hmm
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, so I'm glad you asked this question. Recently I heard that you should do cardio for longer periods of time at a steady medium rate.

yeah me too! now i don't know what to do while at the gym lol..ive been sticking to hiit and i yesterday i did the fat burn mode on the elliptical :smile:
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OK, my first answer was flippant and not to helpfully, i feel guilty, here is what I think....

Interval training the high intensity stuff trains your anaerobic threshold or whatever it's called these days, it increases your fitness and
    ability to work hard. It burns lots of calories in a short time, but takes easy to use calories that are not mostly your fat stores, however at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it came from so high intensity stuff is good.

Steady state cardio is a slower from of training, should be mainly in your aerobic cardio zone, is great from increasing endurance and making you fitter, it uses a higher % of calories from fat especially if you do it for a long time. However as your working at a lower rate your burning calories slower.

In the end you may burn roughly the same calories doing both but use less time doing high intensity stuff. Ideally you would have time to do a bit of both as it would maximize your overall cardio performance IMO.

Some people don't like the long slow stuff because they believe it burns mussel as well, it may do a bit, but if you also do strength training then I doubt it's going to be a problem at all unless you go crazy on the slow cardio.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This may be the subject of my next blog post, but short version:

YES.

My personal feeling is that your primary focus should be on constructing an effective *fitness* program, based on your current fitness level, ability, preferences, goals, etc.

An effective fitness program includes: endurance cardio workouts, tempo cardio workouts, interval cardio workouts, plus different kinds of strength training workouts.

How each of those are defined will depend a great deal on your current fitness level and ability. To tell someone who is overweight and deconditioned to start off doing HIIT is inappropriate. To tell someone to do "fat burning" workouts is nonsense. Plus, depending on your level of body fat, a certain type of workout might have a different result.

The only "general" advice that I would give as a "one size fits all" approach is that a) your program should (must?) include cardio and strength training and b) your workouts should have a focus and a plan. That means that whatever the plan for that day is--easy, medium, hard--you have a plan and you focus your efforts to complete it. It means that you are not just doing the same workout at the same workload every day, but tracking your efforts and challenging yourself when necessary to continue to improve. With strength training it means that, whatever intensity you choose, you focus on good form and you focus yourself on working to the right level of "failure" each set at the desired intensity. With both ardio and strength, it means you progressively increase the workloads as you progress.

There is NO "one size fits all" program. There is no "magic bullet" routine that will automatically work for everyone. Much of the "research" that is done to "prove" the "superiority" of one routine over another is done for short periods of time on small groups of subjects. Very few studies compare the long-term effects of any of these programs or seriously look at long-term comparisons.

Lots of oeople have lost lots of weight without ever doing one second of HIIT. The same in reverse. People have effectively lost weight doing very little cardio. People have lost weight doing almost no strength training. Some people have lost weight without doing any exercise at all.

Consistency and focus--both in your exercise plan and your eating plan--are a hundred times more important than choosing the current "hot trend", and will have FAR greater positive results, no matter what strategy you employ.
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    OK, my first answer was flippant and not to helpfully, i feel guilty, here is what I think....

Interval training the high intensity stuff trains your anaerobic threshold or whatever it's called these days, it increases your fitness and
    ability to work hard. It burns lots of calories in a short time, but takes easy to use calories that are not mostly your fat stores, however at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it came from so high intensity stuff is good.

Steady state cardio is a slower from of training, should be mainly in your aerobic cardio zone, is great from increasing endurance and making you fitter, it uses a higher % of calories from fat especially if you do it for a long time. However as your working at a lower rate your burning calories slower.

In the end you may burn roughly the same calories doing both but use less time doing high intensity stuff. Ideally you would have time to do a bit of both as it would maximize your overall cardio performance IMO.

Some people don't like the long slow stuff because they believe it burns mussel as well, it may do a bit, but if you also do strength training then I doubt it's going to be a problem at all unless you go crazy on the slow cardio.

This is great advice - you sure know how to redeem yourself LOL :tongue:
  • fietsdebbie
    Options
    Excellent response Adzak. We all need to remember that we need to do what is best for ourselves and plan our activities and eating accordingly. Thank you!
  • emarcia28
    Options
    The only "general" advice that I would give as a "one size fits all" approach is that a) your program should (must?) include cardio and strength training and b) your workouts should have a focus and a plan. That means that whatever the plan for that day is--easy, medium, hard--you have a plan and you focus your efforts to complete it. It means that you are not just doing the same workout at the same workload every day, but tracking your efforts and challenging yourself when necessary to continue to improve. With strength training it means that, whatever intensity you choose, you focus on good form and you focus yourself on working to the right level of "failure" each set at the desired intensity. With both ardio and strength, it means you progressively increase the workloads as you progress.

Thank You!!

Crux & Azdak great reponses! I think i will stick to what i am doing and just add in some longer cardio in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I run about 3 times a week for 30-40 min and then on the days that I am not doing that I have been trying the tabata protocol on the bike. It's pretty crazy how much you feel it for only doing a small amout of work. The week that I started doing that it budge the scale outta a plateau. Try looking it up.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Very well said both Azdak and Crux.

I do High Intensity Interval Circuit Training with bodyweight and plyometrics moves. Mostly I do this because long slow cardio bores me to tears and I won't do it. But tell me that I can rip out a workout that will turn me into a pile of Jello in 20-30 minutes and I am all for it! Unless you are training for a very specific athletic goal (a marathon, a sprint event, etc.), my opinion is that the best workout (for weight loss and maintenance) is, ultimately, going to be the one you do consistently.
  • worchard
    worchard Posts: 30
    Options
    Fo rmy weight loss I have been following the interval cardio training. It is easy to do when working out to the P90 programs because Tony Horton takes your heart rate up and down throughout DVD. However, you have to "work" at it on the eliptical but can be done easily by using the different program on the machine. I use the interval one that gives me the stairstep system of incline and resistance going up each minute and then coming back down. It takes my heart rate up from 120 bpm to 145-150 bpm. By doing this about 45 minutes I'm getting into the "fat burning" and "cardio" zones and utlimately buring a lot of calories.
  • emarcia28
    Options
    I use the interval one that gives me the stairstep system of incline and resistance going up each minute and then coming back down. It takes my heart rate up from 120 bpm to 145-150 bpm. By doing this about 45 minutes I'm getting into the "fat burning" and "cardio" zones and utlimately buring a lot of calories.

Oh i will give that a try..im almost positive the machine at the gym has that mode! :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I change it up. Try to never do the same routines 2x in a row. Some days I do slow and steady on the stationary bike for very long periods. I'm sweating, but not panting, and able to read or watch tv. Other days, I do medium speed/difficulty on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes. I usually have a very red face by the end and struggle to finish. Sometimes, I do hill intervals at max level and push as hard as I possibly can during the easy parts for 15 mins. This one usually has me crawling away from the machine. Then sometimes I do the rowing machine for something different and to get my upper body involved. I alternate my cardio with strength training days.
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I typically do long cardio. I like to jog on the treadmill for 45 minutes rather than sprint for 10! Every so often I will hit a plateau. When this happens I will switch to interval or high-intensity cardio for a week, then back to my long cardio. It's enough to trick my body out of the slump! I love love love my Ab Lounger Sport. I use it for deep stretching as well as quick cardio crunches.