Fat from Nuts, Seeds & High-Fat Veggies

Options
Hello! In examining my diet, I have found that I'm eating a LOT of fat from nuts, seeds, and veggies rich in fat like avocado. I know that these are polyunsaturated fats versus the monunsaturated fats found elsewhere, but I'm still definitely concerned. I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and I absolutely love avocados, nuts and seeds but don't want to overwhelm my relatively low-calorie diet with an abundance of fats.What really alerted me to this problem was that I typically eat way over the 20 grams of fat I should be eating a day... Does anyone have any insight, infromation or advice they can offer? I guess the most obvious suggestion is just to eat less of these foods or only enjoy them a few times a week. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thosesorts of fats are actually pretty healthy for you and a lot of them help fight body fat. OMEGA 3s for example. I try to eat some sort of nut every day. You could limit them to once a day or 1/2 the serving. :)
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What made you decide on the 20 grams of fat a day? I try and eat a balanced 40%-30%-30% carbs, fat, protein diet and at 1500 cals that's 50 grams of fat a day.

I think that fat from nuts, seeds and veggies will help fill you up and it good for you :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over the recommendation for fat too, but it is mostly from extra virgin olive oil and nuts. I just don't find I am satiated with less fat in my food so I've tried to stop worrying about it.

BTW - I'm pretty sure most of the fat in avocados is mono-unsaturated, which if good because it's very healthy.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    20 grams is way too little. double that at the VERY least. The fat sources you mentioned are all healthy fats and are great when fit into your calorie budget.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have nuts every day, but just one serving. When I have it, I eat about 1/4 of an avocado, too. I also have a tablespoon of ground flaxseed if I am eating something I can put it on (oatmeal or smoothie for instance) and generally cook something in olive oil. I am never over my fat goal.

My issue is sugar, but I don't really worry about it, either. If I have a 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/2 onion (not together, lol), a piece of whole wheat bread, a tomato, and either an apple or banana during the course of the day, I am over my sugar goal even without putting a tablespoon of honey in my afternoon smoothie. I also like to have dried apricots for the potassium conent. I really don't see a way to cut my sugar or fat without sacrificing the other good things in those foods. I don't mean to start the Great Sugar Debate again, I am just saying I pay more attention to getting the nutrients I need than I do to cutting anything and I do pretty well.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and nuts as well. Recently I cut back on them and limit myself to a small serving occasionally. I also use no added fats in my diet. I eat very low fat because of health related concerns.
  • gabriellerae
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the helpful responses! I think the only way to figure it out is to reduce how much I'm eating now and then add it back to my diet gradually. But I really appreciate all the info everyone's provided and it's helpful to know I probably don't have to worry. Thanks!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's such a thing as a high fat vegetable.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Thosesorts of fats are actually pretty healthy for you and a lot of them help fight body fat. OMEGA 3s for example. I try to eat some sort of nut every day. You could limit them to once a day or 1/2 the serving. :)
    Actually nuts and seed are mostly an omega 6 source and over half the fat in avocados are mono fats, but the poly fat found in them is mostly omega 6's. I'm mentioning this just so there's no confusion for someone who may use that info for dietary advice considering omega balance is fairly important.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's such a thing as a high fat vegetable.

soy beans, edemame are high fat, as are peanuts, technically a legume not a nut.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's enough fat. I have my macros set at 60% fat (I eat a paleo diet.) No problem losing weight, my bloodwork is fantastic. Especially since it's healthy fats, I don't think you need to worry. Just my opinion.

ETA: agree with previous commenter about the nuts re: Omega-6, though.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat and there is no reason to worry about fats from whole-food plant sources. Just stick to a wide variety of whole-foods or mostly whole-foods and you're eating essentially an ideal diet.

Personally I don't limit these foods. The reality is that you can only eat so much of them, especially if you're eating a lot of other kinds of veggies, beans, legumes, pseudo grains, and fruit. I reach for these fats and try to eat more whenever I feel sluggish.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    As long as you get enough protein I wouldn't worry about going over on fat
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable.

Yeah but like a tomato it's botanically a fruit (or actually a berry with a single seed) but it isn't sweet so for culinary purposes they are both usually thought of as vegetables. Most grocery stores follow this "incorrect" convention and group these items with vegetables instead of other fruit or berries. Dietarily these distinctions are inconsequential and pedantic.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too much fat, try increasing your intake of other food, like fruits and veggies.