xbox kinect and weight loss.

Options
Did anyone lose weight while using the kinect? (Such as zumba, dance games or anything like that)

Replies

• ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    *bump* - Im interested also, I asked for a kinect for xmas. :P
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We are getting one for the kids for Xmas. I had DH get Zumba rush for me.
  • cocodiva31
    Options
    its a great tool to use if u wanna stay at home and workout
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I'm interested too! I asked for one for Christmas as well. I have a gym membership, but on days that I don't feel like going out (especially during the cold winter months) it would be great to mix it up and do something fun!
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    YES!! I use quite a few of them and the muscles you use are unreal. The Your Fitness is good it works through your goals and has certain work outs for target areas but it takes a bit of getting used to. Honest the Kinect Adventures is really good fun and a great workout!!

Fin x
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    To answer your question...No.

Although I intend on it. We have one at home and every time I play it I work up a heck of a sweat. There's actually a thing on there you can download that will count your calories burned playing certain games. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We have a kinect and he just bought me Zumba. I'm so not coordinated for that. lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    As long as it's burning calories, it wouldn't matter if you were playing with the kinect or watching Food Network. If you have a HRM, use it while you're doing the dance dance / whatever else. Get the heart rate up and you're golden.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've personally known a lot of people who have bought a kinekt for weight loss. None of them lost weight.

This isn't because Kinekt is a bad tool for getting your body moving, and I am sure there ARE people who used it effectively... it's because a lot of people buy it because they think a game will make it easier to lose weight without putting in real, frequent effort.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Well I go to the gym so I can't say my weight loss has been totally because of kinect but boy does that thing kick my *kitten*. I do zumba, dance central, and the sports game that came with the console. If I stay home then I do one of the games for a half hour *it is even better that dance central has a workout setting*. It really makes me sweat and I do enjoy doing them. Would I cut out my lifting or classes at the gym? No.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Heck yes I did! The zumba game is fun and they also have other fitness games (YourShape Fitness evolved is amazing and HARD!) that are great.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    I've personally known a lot of people who have bought a kinekt for weight loss. None of them lost weight.

This isn't because Kinekt is a bad tool for getting your body moving, and I am sure there ARE people who used it effectively... it's because a lot of people buy it because they think a game will make it easier to lose weight without putting in real, frequent effort.
    Oh I know I need to put in the work. It just seems so much more fun than traditional workouts. I am a gym member and find it so dang boring.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh I know I need to put in the work. It just seems so much more fun than traditional workouts. I am a gym member and find it so dang boring.

If you make it work for you, that's what matters... Before I was able to really make progress, I tried games to lose weight and failed. Personally I feel more engaged at the gym or at a class, it's too easy for me to escape a session with the xbox LOL
  • gypsyrose85
    Options

If you make it work for you, that's what matters... Before I was able to really make progress, I tried games to lose weight and failed. Personally I feel more engaged at the gym or at a class, it's too easy for me to escape a session with the xbox LOL

for me I sometimes go just to use the hot tub. I can not stay engaged there at all though I have used it to just get away from home. I also have no work out buddies. (I have 5 kids so the gym is something I started to do just to get away for a little while but it is SOOO hard to stay focused.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I sweat more with Zumba on my kinect than I do with Insanity by beach body, and that's intense. The Zumba games are fun so it makes it easy to do. I also have dance central that makes me sweat. I love to dance so when I want extra cardio I'll put them in. I use UFC trainer now and then but the sensor is off and it pisses me off every time in use it.
  • lmcgrad
    Options
    Hey! I am a college student in the mountains of nc and my roommate has the xbox kinect and she has a game called YOur Shape Evolution which is awesome once I started using it! It has boxing,cardio,jumping rope,and aerobics along with warmups and stuff. It feels like games but it tells you the calories you burn and it talks to you. It is really fun! You get a great workout and it doesnt even feel like youre working out, it just feels like youre doing games. I would reccommend it! I only got to do it for a week then I went home on Christmas break and I am finding that I dont look forawrd to any other exercise like I do that game. I have never been into exercising but I woke up the whole week and just couldnt wait to do it!