Cardio vs. weight training

Options
I have a significant amount of weight to lose, about 106 lbs. Would it be best for me to start off doing a good amount of cardio only until I lose a good portion of the weight and then introduce in the weight training? Or should I be doing both from the start?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    both from the start.

It should also be a goal that every time you work out, you try to improve on your previous workout. If the body is not being challenged, why would it put effort into adapting and changing when it can just instead stay the same.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    both from the start.

It should also be a goal that every time you work out, you try to improve on your previous workout. If the body is not being challenged, why would it put effort into adapting and changing when it can just instead stay the same.

^^This.

You'll burn more calories and fat by doing both.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    both is good but balanced. don't get caught up in watching the scale. the scale is not your friend, a measuring tape, and healthy diet are.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do both :) Check out Lee Labrada's 12 week leanbody trainer, It incorporates both strength training and cardio.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer-intro.html

I'm currently following it, and I've also done Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer from the same site. Add me if you have any questions about either. I love weight training.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said - do both!!!
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    Both!!!!
  • kblpn
    kblpn Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help. I figured both was best and that is what I started doing, but I wanted a few opinions. I know what to do and how to do it (SUPRISE.. lol) Actually DOING it is the problem.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Both definitely. Also - don't rule out strength training without barbells and dumbbells - kettlebells will increase strength adn give a great calorie burn at the same time and don't think that bodyweight exercises are the poor relation of strength training - they can be quite addictive in their own field. Mix it up to keep the motivation going.

All best to you!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I also have a lot of weight to use, and this time decided to invest in a personal trainer. His help and encouragement are invaluable. He has me doing both cardio and strength, and I'm seeing results.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    use=lose
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Both is the best answer.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lifting and a calorie deficit for sure. Cardio is an OPTIONAL way to help create the deficit.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help. I figured both was best and that is what I started doing, but I wanted a few opinions. I know what to do and how to do it (SUPRISE.. lol) Actually DOING it is the problem.

Here is what I've found. If you make it a habit it will eventually become very to do, it will become part of your daily routine. Now, habits don't start easily. for several months you must make a significant effort to be active. (You don't need to go to the gym everyday, all kinds of activities get your heart rate up.) After 3 or 4 months exercise will be part of the fabric of your life.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do both. I wish I would have at 379 pounds. If I would have kept the most muscle I had and just burned of the fat I would be a lot farther ahead then I am now...Find a good trainer and do what needs to be done right away. You will be happy you did.
  • laurajean120
    laurajean120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    both . get heart rate up then do the weights.