Is this an injury or just soreness?

Options
My husband and I got halfway through the Insanity program but stopped back in August. My muscles, especially my feet, were very sore until I got used to the hard workout, but other than that smooth sailing. However, we started it back up again from the beginning a few weeks ago and I have this pain I don't know what it is. It is on the inside of my shins/calves, both legs about an inch above the inside ankle bone. Every workout so far I get this very painful ache I am not familiar during the warm ups and last all night. I thought I just needed to get used to everything so I kept up with it. The past few workouts the ache is getting worse and now radiating through my ankles and up the back of calves. I stopped tonight's workout because I don't want to hurt myself. What is this pain, how do I fix it, and is there anything I can do to continue the Insanity workout?

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Is it shin splits? You could try getting new shoes or inserts. I am also doing insanity started day one today and believe me i am sore ginger tea and a banana helped
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I re read what you said that sounds like a pulled muscle see a doc just to be sure?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If the pain is starting before you do much as in during warm up then most likely it's an injury and you should get it checked out before you continue with an intense workout routine. Soreness normally happens after your workout and stays around until your muscles get comfortable doing that certain exercise, or after the muscles get enough rest.
  • KLSnyde
    Options
    Thanks guys for responding. After looking into it more I am fairly certain I have posterior shin splints. I think I was overdoing it when we first started up again and possibly headed toward a stress fracture, which I don't think I have yet. Taking a day or two off then starting back slowly again and icing those areas. If the pain doesn't go away i will see my doctor. Thanks guys!