Syrup anyone??

Options
any body have suggestions for a low cal/ low fat syrup that won't kill me on weight watchers but doesn't taste like cough syrup???

Replies

• cullensbrunette
    Options
    I dont know if its good for WW but I use Aunt Jemima Lite Syrup. It has half the calories as regular syrup (100 per serving instead of 210 per serving) and it has no artificial sweeteners. It tastes the same as regular syrup.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    sounds great! thanks!!! :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in as another fan of the Aunt Jemima Light Syrup. I like the butter flavor. Just had some this morning, in fact, for my weekly pancake! :heart:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Log Cabin Lite is the only low calorie syrup (at this point) without High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. It's the only not-real syrup I'll buy.
  • danerider
    danerider Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just had Vermont Sugar Free this morning, really low on calories and not super sweet. I have always prefered real maple syrup because the Aunt Jemima types have been far too sweet for me.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of real maple syrup. It's only 50 calories. Hate all that processed fake stuff.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who would prefer to use a small amount of real syrup. I've also been known to take a cup of frozen blueberries (Wyman's wild blueberries are amazing and sweet) and cook them down on the stove top for a few minutes until a lot of the water is gone and toss that on my pancakes. I might add just a sprinkle of raw sugar if I need a little more sweetness. Delicious.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've also been known to take a cup of frozen blueberries (Wyman's wild blueberries are amazing and sweet) and cook them down on the stove top for a few minutes until a lot of the water is gone and toss that on my pancakes. I might add just a sprinkle of raw sugar if I need a little more sweetness. Delicious.

Yup. I do this with frozen strawberries & raspberries, too. YUM! Plus, it adds valuable nutrition. :wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of real maple syrup. It's only 50 calories. Hate all that processed fake stuff.

I completely agree. I come from an area that is heavily populated by maple sugar camps, so real maple syrup is what I live for. Maple syrup is about as good as it gets. It's an all natural sugar, so it's way better for you than the table syrups (like aunt jemima). Just use a little and load some berries on top for extra flavour.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have only used 100% pure maple syrup my whole life and recently attemped to switch to these "lite" brands and they are disgusting IMO, so thick and fake tasting...real maple syrup is runny, so anything that advertises "thick and rich" is promoting it's "fakeness!"

Give me one that says "we are thin and runny, just like real maple syrup" and I will buy that one!

But REAL is the way to go, nothing else will do, I'll just have to jog an extra mile on waffle day.....
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I use the Hungry Jack sugar free syrup because it has the least sugar alcohol of all the sugar free varieties I've found. It also tastes really good on my whole wheat frozen waffles. YUM!
  • sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a complete REAL maple syrup snob myself. It is just something I wont' give up. And, unfortunately, I like a lot of it. I do homemade pancakes only on occasion and I just know that my breakfast will be way over on that day. I have tried to cut back on the amount of syrup a bit.

I have been known to pass on any kind of pancake or french toast in a restaurant if they do not serve maple syrup. My friends laugh at me. But that thick stuff is just not even close.