Am I doing this wrong? (Cardio only)

Options
I am trying to lose weight/inches before I start to tone with weights. I need to build strength as well.
I am on a strict budget however, I use Just Dance for Wii (they have a workout option), I also have Wii Fit, and I own a workout ball, and a two-in-one elliptical/bike machine.
These have been my tools for the past two days (just starting out)

Will this work? and should I be toning or first work on cardio to drop pounds and then work on muscle tone and strength?
HELP!

Replies

• camajade
    camajade Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I believe you start with what you have... start moving, you can't go wrong if you start moving. Good luck.
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that waiting to lift/tone isn't as productive as lifting when you can all along. Lifting weights burns lots of calories WHILE it's toning. You should be doing cardio too. If all you have right now is access to cardio equipment then definitely start there, but don't be afraid to incorporate lifting as part of the overall path to a healthy & smaller body.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Do both. Do some moderate cardio AND start in on the weights. Strength training not only helps to make you more tight and compact, it also signals your body to retain the muscle you already have while you're losing weight.

As for equipment, use what you have. Even if you don't have a single dumbbell you can do push ups, curl a gallon of water, do squats/lunges with some weight in your hands, and even do pull ups or chin ups if you can find a good playground or get one of those pull up bars that you put in a doorway.

Cardio. If you have shoes and access to a door that leads outside you can run or walk. Running is my cardio fix and it burns more calories than just about anything but swimming. Just start out slow and don't worry about your speed. Just do it. (I know, lame but true)

Eat the proper amount of calories (Your MFP goal) and try to keep your protein up to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. If you don't like the math just do 1 gram per pound of body weight.