The Scale

Options
After today, i am really going to try not to weigh my self for 3 days. For some this may not seem like much but i am used to weighing myself 4-5 times a day. I have to stop being a prisoner to the scale, seeking its approval with even the tiniest of weight loss. and by putting this out here, i am not only accountable to myself, but now all of you to follow through with this.

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Good call! Even when you do start weighing in again, do it once a day. Your weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day, so pick a time of the day (like right when you get up), make that your one weigh-in, and go conquer the rest of your day!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh how I hear you! I weigh several times a day too. It can mess with your head!!! Hang in there girl friend!! You can do this!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I took an entire month off from the scale once. It was so nice not having a day be ruined because I wasn't happy with the numbers I saw. But now i'm back to it almost every other day. The scale can be a BAD addiction.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I took an entire month off from the scale once. It was so nice not having a day be ruined because I wasn't happy with the numbers I saw. But now i'm back to it almost every other day. The scale can be a BAD addiction.

i am close to twitching right now, and it hasn't even been a full day yet... not sure if i will make it the full 3 days.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You should get into the habit of 1-2x/week, first thing in the am, naked, after peeing. As long as you do the same routine every time you'll get a better gauge. After you eat or drink anything, it's no longer accurate of YOUR weight. It's your weight plus what you ate's weight.
  • AmandaInGA
    Options
    You should get into the habit of 1-2x/week, first thing in the am, naked, after peeing. As long as you do the same routine every time you'll get a better gauge. After you eat or drink anything, it's no longer accurate of YOUR weight. It's your weight plus what you ate's weight.

right now, i am just trying to get in the habit of not weighing myself 4-5 times a day.

It was hard this morning, but I walked past the scale and immediately drank some water so it would immediately be inaccurate. Will try to hold off weighing again until Saturday. *fingers crossed*
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this, I weigh every day, plus weigh when I go on the wii fit plus I go to a diet class and weigh there too. Every morning I try not to weigh so I try and walk pass the scales but always jump on them first thing. I've even been known to weigh myself, have a poo and then weigh again. :-)
    Good luck with your " NOT SCALE 3 DAYS" I will try too, infact I will try and not weigh until Monday because that is the day I enter my weight on here.
  • AmandaInGA
    Options
    Second morning, avoided the scale!! Now, if i can just get through today then I can weigh myself tomorrow :)
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I failed, I weighed this morning and put on 0.8 lbs, am determined not to weigh during the weekend.
    Well done on not weighing AmandalnGA. XX
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't get this philosophy...do you think if you get on various times a day the weight will come off faster? It won't. The only thing that will make the weight come off is a calorie deficit (either in food or exercise). That's it. No hocus pocus. Hard work and determination is the only things that will work. Seriously.

Hide the darn thing, take the batteries out and forget it's there. I just don't understand the joy of seeing the number fluctuate. Women can fluctuate 2-5 pounds normally in a day, for no reason but water weight.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The scale is not your friend, the tape measure is. If your lifting weights you can gain muscle while losing fat so the scale won't move, but your measurements will change.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The bathroom scale has its own unique limitations that make it imperfect. Its absolute accuracy could be questionable (most consumer market scales are) and its repeatability could fluctuate by up to a pound or more. The common bathroom scale uses load cell technology which is affected by relative humidity. And where do we keep our bathroom scales? Probably in the bathroom where it will be affected by shower steam and the resulting high relative humidity.

If you're following this site's recommended water intake (8 cups of water which is 64 ounces or 4 pounds daily), then weighing yourself many times each day will quickly frustrate you with an illusion of steady weight gain throughout the day. Much of the water we drink is lost due to respiration and perspiration, a good deal of which occurs during rest periods (sleep). So weigh yourself in the morning before consuming anything and before jumping in the shower.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hide mine either in the laundry room under the folding table or under my husband's dresser and only weigh in once a week. I rely more heavily on the tape measure. More accurate reading of the inches lost.
  • AmandaInGA
    Options
    I failed, I weighed this morning and put on 0.8 lbs, am determined not to weigh during the weekend.
    Well done on not weighing AmandalnGA. XX

Well I weighed in this morning and since Wed, I have gained 3 lbs. don't think this would have happened if i was weighing with the same frequency as before. I would have been able to stop it.

#FML