High Heart Rate While Working Out

Options
So, I weigh around 165 and I am 5'1. According to many sites, while working out my heart rate should be around 160. However, when I am working out, my heart rate is usually around 180-185. According to the machine and online sites the heart rate I am at is way too high. So, I try slowing down to keep my heart rate around 160. When I do this though I feel like I am not working out, I am doing more of a slow tread than anything else. Suggestions?

Replies

• NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Invest in a personal heart rate monitor (HRM). The machines are running some kind of generic algorithum and are RARELY correct.

After I bought mine, I found that most of the time the machines were telling me my calories burned and heartrate were WAY higher than my HRM was calculating.

BTW, Most people will recommend the Polar FT series HRM's.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My HRM shows my own heart rate to be similar. I feel fine even if it says 185 so I've never been too concerned about it. I had a stress test for my job, I figured they would have mentioned it if there was an issue.

Not sure if that's the "right" answer or anything...
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Another point to consider, is what you are trying to achive. There is a difference in target heart rates for "Fat Burning" and "Athletic Training" be sure you are using the appropriate number for your goal.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old. If you're otherwise healthy you should have no problem handling a HR of 180-185. I do and I'm 37. Do you have reason to worry? Any warnings from your internist or cardiologist? Do you have caffeine or other stimulants before a workout? are you typically well rested and well hydrated? Do you ever have chest pain or feel light-headed, nauseous, or have other odd symptoms?

Guidelines out there are extremely conservative. It's more important to listen to your body. According to the CDC website someone younger than me should workout in the 130-157bpm range. I'd be barely breaking a sweat in that range. It's far too light a workout for me for cardio. It's more like what I might see in some weightlifting routines. This is even true for what I consider "fat burning" workouts. For those the duration of the workout is what does it. Not phoning it in at a lower intensity.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    There is no specific HR that we should be in, it depends on the person and the goal you are trying to achieve. There is HR that is good for aerobic work and burning fat, and there is HR that is good for anaerobic work and power. Read this:

http://www.endurancefactor.com/Articles/article-heartintro.html

Find your LT and the right zone for you.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    mine gets that high too.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    At 20 years old your max HR is around 200 so working it at 180 is fine unless you have heart problems. I'm 47 and run mine around 160 (my max is 174)
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I never feel chest pains or any other aches, I just thought maybe there was something wrong because every time I got on the machine it was blinking at me telling me it was too high. Thank you for the help everyone!