Lifting / Strength Training Recommendations for Women?

Options
I have almost hit my weightloss goal, and I would like to rev up my strength training to add definition to my muscles. I have been doing Zumba and running for my cardio for the last 8 months with a little strength training - planks, push-ups, and crunches. I would really like to find a program that I could do at the gym. I am open to either free weights or to using the machines.

I pulled my IT Band a month ago by doing too many squats after running, so I am a little scared to do squats and lunges I am healed. I am looking to tone my arms, abs, back, legs, and butt...just about everything. I like yoga, and I am adding that to my routine as well. I might do the Ripped in 30 if all else fails. I got bored with the 30 day shred, but it is a good program.

What has worked for you? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• lilborrower
    Options
    I'd be interested in the answer to this too.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I switch up my bodybuilding regime from time to time, right now im switching between 4 weeks hypertrophy, followed by 2 weeks strength. If you are looking to build some strength and toned, i recommend a hybrid of both hypertrophy and strength 5x5 rep rep range using 80% weight. And don't fall into the common misconception i hear a lot of women talk about "i don't want to get too bulky". I'm just going to say that it is not possible for women to become masculine like males as your bodies do not harbour the require testosterone levels. The only way to get bulk is through the use of anabolic steroids and HGH.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would like to know more about this too. And the above posting is waaay over my head. For myself at least, I need to start with the basics.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    A lot of people recommend the NROLFW book.. .If thats the right acronyms....

New rules of lifting for women? (Sorry if I'm wrong)

I haven't read it. I don't have a consistent lifting plan.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Some of the popular lifting programs include Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I, personally, do a bunch of lifts that I learned from a trainer. These include several bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, deadlifts, rows, squats, overhead press and a few shoulder things I don't know the names of.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I would like to know more about this too. And the above posting is waaay over my head. For myself at least, I need to start with the basics.

sorry im used to talking to males about this sort of training that i throw a lot of terms out there. Hypertrophy means growth training parametres (you work within a 6 - 12, rep range for each exercise, typically with a moderate to heavy weight), Strength training parametres you exercise within (generally) 1 - 3 reps, using heavy heavy weights. Hypertrophy is used in order to stimulate growth of the cellular membrane of the muscles, where strength training is primarily focused on stimulating the efficiency of the CNS (Central Nervous System). 5 x 5 (5 sets of 5 reps) is considered a basic parametre for beginners to resistance training, where it combines the two concepts.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    sorry im used to talking to males about this sort of training that i throw a lot of terms out there.
    Hmmmm, she is simply new to the words. A beginning male would also not know them. :smile:
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    sorry im used to talking to males about this sort of training that i throw a lot of terms out there.
    Hmmmm, she is simply new to the words. A beginning male would also not know them. :smile:

correction again, im used to talking to intermediate/ advanced resistance trainers*
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am going to look up the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had a trainer when I first started my weightloss journey but she is no longer at my club. I really do not feel like getting a new one after doing all of this by myself so far. Summer is only 6 months away, and I want to look amazing when it gets here.

bdamaster60 - Thanks for your suggestion. I think I understand it.

This is going to take some more research. I am still open to more suggestions.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com for my workouts. I started with the one below and found others to incorporate for a more intense and longer workout. I do a weight training routine 3 days a week and run 5 miles the other three days. Hope this helps :)

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Weight-Training-for-Fat-Loss-33-Minute-Functional-Strength-Training-Workout/ar/
  • mrskchris
    Options
    I love fitnessblender.com for my workouts. I started with the one below and found others to incorporate for a more intense and longer workout. I do a weight training routine 3 days a week and run 5 miles the other three days. Hope this helps :)

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Weight-Training-for-Fat-Loss-33-Minute-Functional-Strength-Training-Workout/ar/

Thanks! Your schedule is exactly what I am looking for. Do you ever do combine cardio and weight training on the same day? I'll check out the site too.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No problem! :)
    When first in the middle of losing weight, i was running 6 days a week but once i hit my goal I realized i wanted to incorporate strength training to reduce bf%. So I researched it a lot and read a lot of forums on here which highly recommend lifting weights. I've been maintaining for a few months, and I love the results from weight training. I keep the cardio and weights on separate days because u need to let your body rest. And on days when the weather is bad and i can't get out to run (even though i have a treadmill, but find it incredibly boring lol) I do the 40 minute HIIT training video from the website and maybe some other shorter ones as add ons. Hope this helps :)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

this isn't strength training. this is cardio with some endurance work.
  • aebennett
    Options
    I'm a big fan of body pump. It might not be the best long term solution, but instructors are trained in proper form, it's upbeat, and not intimidating. Most areas have classes - and if you travel a lot, the classes should be the same everywhere. There's something to be said for consistency.

Good luck!
  • mrskchris
    Options

Thanks for the link. It's going to be a busy morning from going through all of this. Great information!