Trying to avoid holiday gain!

Options
Hi all,

I've tried MFP before but not seriously - I'm really going to try to exercise at least 4 times a week and watch what I eat.

I find it's especially hard when I go to visit my Mom at Christmas, since it's often so cold out where she lives in NM that we just stay inside (and no gym!). But this year I hope to keep watching the Jillian Michaels Shred videos I'm surprised how fun they are - I'm only on the second level and right now it's not possible to do it everyday.

How do others cope with holiday parties etc. - I find it really hard to avoid homemade cookies!
But maybe it just means I need to work out more when I go to NM - watch video twice in one day etc.?

I'm vegetarian but since I eat diary and sugar there are still a lot of fattening stuff out there that's so tempting!

oh if any of you want to be my friend on mfp that would be cool too :)

-Zoe

Replies

• nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how people avoid the xmas cookies too!!! I fear the same problem!
  • Christina1939
    Options
    Hi! You can add me! The way I've found it works best is you just have to track everything as mortifying as it is you ate like a bunch of cookies that way you can make up for it! I fall into if I don't log it the calories don't count LOL! So I understand. :)
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I guess it's about moderation, which isn't easy with so many temptations around! So instead of having every single thing you want, allow yourself a few treats but don't go nuts.

The other option of course, is to accept that it's just a few days and have whatever you fancy. The break can sometimes do you good and make you feel a lot more focused when you do get back to it. :smile:
  • rbotts67
    Options
    Hi,

Im just getting started myself. Because I KNEW the holiday goody tables at work would show up! The best way to handle it is to pick and choose. For example, i avoided the triple chocolate cake, but i had homemade sweet and salty homemade candy. I did not have both!

Also i checked the points on the cake first and i realized i did not want to eat 280 on that one thin slice of cake. 1/12. Knowing the calories is a huge advantage.

Lastly, Christina was correct. You have to write it down. It makes such a difference where you stand for the day and can make an adjustment for the rest of the day. Hope this helps.
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    I read somewhere that the average American gains 7 lbs between Halloween and New Year's. I joined MFP on Nov 5 to avoid this very thing, and I set a goal of losing 15 lbs by Christmas. I plan to exceed that goal! :smile:

I've been doing my very best to avoid the holiday goodies when I can, but when I do choose to indulge, I just track the calories! I received a box of individually wrapped cookies from a client the other day. I gave most of them away, but I wound up keeping 4 of them. Before I ate any, I looked up the nutritional information. Turns out they were 200 CALORIES A PIECE! So, I wrote the calorie count in huge red numbers on a sticky note and stuck it to the cookie packages. It has kept me from eating more than one in a day.

The best advice I can give is look it up BEFORE you eat it; that way, you've got no excuses! Personally, I'm a lot less likely to indulge if I know how "expensive" the goodies are, calorie-wise.

I'm always happy to add friends, so feel free! Good luck! :happy:
  • pcolbert98
    Options
    I wish I would have read this before the office xmas party today. Maybe tomorrow LOL!
  • ScarlettDam
    ScarlettDam Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Make it a rule and simply say no (before hand) to all holiday sweets and if that doesn't help. Sugar promotes aging!

Good luck!
    Scarlett
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    just my opinion but dont worry about what you eat for the one day! just get your *kitten* to the gym the next day and work hard and dont worry about it because its just one day!!!!!