How long you think it'll take to lose 15 pounds?

Options
I know about the 3500 calories deficit = 1 pound.

But, I am quite the sporty girl and I work out about 3 times a week doing 2 hours of cardio/weight lifting and another 2 hours of playing volleyball/basketball.

But I'm 5'6'' and 150 and I really want to lose 15 pounds or at least get rid of the fat by February. Do you think it's possible. It's extremely hard for me to lose weight though unless I completely stop eating though. Are there ways to help boost my metabolism so I could lose the weight a little faster?

Replies

• ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you do the math right and stick to the right amount of cals and stay CONSISTENT and log every single thing you put in your mouth and keep burning those cals at the gym and with sports, probably about 3 months.

Consistency & dedication.

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

Check that site out, it's helpful.
  • BuddhaBabeee
    Options
    One to two months.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    worest case senario

1 lb in a week = 3.5 months

2 lb in a week = 1.75 months

and if u watch your calories right you can make it in 1-1.5 month
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose it and keep it off, don't be too aggressive. I have been successful with a goal of 1 lb per week. From past experience, anything faster and the pounds return very quickly. Good luck!
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just hit the 15 pound mark and it's taken me just about two months.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    I just hit the 15 pound mark and it's taken me just about two months.

Congrats!!! My goal is 15 pounds :)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    15 pounds took me about 1.5 months and I followed my daily calories almost exact (with two or three slip ups.)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Figure about 1 lb per week.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are starting out at 150 lbs and want to lose 15 lbs, you'll probably find that the first 5 lbs go pretty fast. Most likely, you'll plateau briefly before heading in the right direction again. I agree with the comment that a person your size should be shooting for one pound per week on average. Of course, if you work out enough, you can accelerate the loss. Life is a marathon, not a sprint, and a lot of people that try to rush or take shortcuts end up failing.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The less fat mass you have, the smaller deficit from maintenance level calories you should pursue. With 15 lbs to lose, and being an athlete, you shouldn't look to dropping calories too much - maybe 375 calories lower than what's needed to maintain weight. Also, since you are very active, I hope you are eating enough calories if you are exercising 12 hours per week. There is such a thing as exercising too much which causes cortisol to shoot through the roof which adds ridiculous amounts of water weight. Go by body composition rather than scale weight.
  • foremaar012
    Options
    it took me around 2months, I think a lot of it was figuring out how I need to work out, how much i need to eat to find a balance, and what to adjust to make it drop.
  • Mrcoltra
    Mrcoltra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seems like we may have some similar fitness goals... My question is this: My RMR was measured at 1375, and I struggle with the thought of calorie restriction- which would bring me very close to 1200 cal/day; So, what did you find worked for you in terms of diet and exercise? Did you restrict ? how many calories did you burn a week? Thank you for any input/ suggestions!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    90 days girl... 90 days...

That's a healthy 1 - 1.25#/week loss on average.

I started 11/1 @ 170.2 # and it's now 1/25 and I'm at 154.8 #'s (just a few days short of 90 days).

1200 cals per day no exercise and 1600 calories if exercising

I didn't starve myself or workout like a mad-woman - slow and steady wins the race!

YOU GOT THIS!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height but around 5lbs more then you. I'm looking to lose about 20lbs, however, I think losing that much weight by February is unrealistic, sorry :( Because we are closer to our healthy weights, it will likely be slow going. I was giving myself 6 months, which is just under a pound per week, though you could likely lose a bit faster since you're so active.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    MrColta -- 1375 RMR means 1375 is the minimum you should be eating. It's what you body needs to fuel itself to do its functions. With daily movement, exercise and living -- your caloric needs are higher. Figure out your TDEE and eat somewhere btwn your RMR and TDEE.
    Seems like we may have some similar fitness goals... My question is this: My RMR was measured at 1375, and I struggle with the thought of calorie restriction- which would bring me very close to 1200 cal/day; So, what did you find worked for you in terms of diet and exercise? Did you restrict ? how many calories did you burn a week? Thank you for any input/ suggestions!