How many burnt calories make a great workout?

Options
I don't really know how to ask this question. Please stick with me. I want to know how may calories should I burn during an average work out? If I burn off say 500 does that make for a great workout? My goal is to not walk out of the gym before I workout off 500. But is that really necessary?
Does any of this make sense? Do I sound like a crackhead?

Replies

• Lukefire67
    Options
    Yes, this makes you sound like a person who is addicted to crack cocaine. Good one.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As many that gets me to my net goal with the food i want to eat!
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    I totally get what your saying xD I say that generally i try to burn anywhere from 400-700 calories at the gym before i leave, but thats just me. I can really push it, but i hardly ever burn up to 700(: Just set a personal goal for what you can handle. (:
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    push yourself! just workout hard until you hit the wall then push yourself a little farther no "calorie limit" for a good workout
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like to get to 300-600 to consider it a good workout. I can get 300 by walking for an hour at 4.0. I can get 500+ doing bodycombat class (average hr for the hour=~160).

So I think 500 is a great workout.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It really depends what results you are looking for. Weight loss, fitness, endurance, strength, power, muscle gain. Some thing that don't have high calorie burns at the time such as weight lifting are still worth doing for overall fitness and weight loss because they help retain lean muscle mass. I would never even get close to burning 500 calories in a weight session. Consider the intensity of your workout also. I think a 20 minute sprint session that has me stuffed at the end much better than plodding away on the elliptical for 2 hours. Then again I go to the gym for FITNESS not weight loss. Calorie burn is not the only thing to think about - are you getting the results you want from your workouts? Are you getting stronger, faster, fitter, better (and yes losing weight and improving body comp too)? I think one of the best ways to approach training is to set yourself fitness goals and then work towards them. Tailor your training to meet this goal. Set benchmarks that you can strive to beat. Diet for weight loss but workout for fitness
  • AshleighPhilp1
    Options
    I think its good to have an aim and 500 calories sounds like a good burn, I'm always disappointed if its less. It gives you a good goal to work towards :)
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I know if I got a good workout if I am exhausted and drenched in sweat, no matter what the calorie count is. However, I would look at it like this: you are working out. Any calorie burn is better than none. As long as you know you are doing your best and not sitting on the couch eating Twinkies (R.I.P) then you are doing better than a lot of people out there.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why people obsess about calories like this just mind boggles me.

Make your workout about improving it. run longer, lift more, run farther, etc. Otherwise you get caught up in the stasis trap.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    All depends on what you need to feel better or what you need to be in your daily calorie goal, I feel best at 1200 a day or more to burn off the day's stress, I feel like I've cheated myself if under 800.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Hmmm...I don't ever count my calories while I'm at the gym. Doesn't seem like it would be fun if I did.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exercise calorie burns are irrelevant, only useful for planning out how many calories to eat. They have absolutely no bearing on how effective a workout is for improving fitness and body composition.

Workouts should be measured in pounds or kg lifted, miles (or km) run or cycled, or time spent. Calories burned should be the last thing used to determine whether you had a good workout or not.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I miss when I was a lot heavier cause hitting those high calorie marks was much easier :-P

But I do cardio days were I end up with 2k +
  • beanerific518
    Options
    push yourself! just workout hard until you hit the wall then push yourself a little farther no "calorie limit" for a good workout

This is great advice - intensity is key. The more intense, the greater the afterburn. I can get a great strength and conditioning workout done in an hour.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Zero. 0.00. Nada. I don't work out to get a "great burn". I don't work out so that I can eat more food.

I work out to accomplish a fitness goal. To lift a certain weight a certain number of times. To run a certain distance. To do something in a shorter amount of time that I did it before. To do more reps in a set amount of time.

Did I do one or more of those things? Yes? Then I had a great workout
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Zero. 0.00. Nada. I don't work out to get a "great burn". I don't work out so that I can eat more food.

I work out to accomplish a fitness goal. To lift a certain weight a certain number of times. To run a certain distance. To do something in a shorter amount of time that I did it before. To do more reps in a set amount of time.

^^^ Ditto this! I work out to be a fit & healthy person. And, because I honestly enjoy it, it's a stress reliever and my 'therapy'. the weight loss, body composition change, calorie burn and extra food are all just bonuses!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Yup ^^^^^ this!

Diet for weight control and nutrition, exercise for fitness.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I gotcha. I'm really strapped for time during the week so I try to get as high a calorie burn as I can in like 30 minutes, which is usually around 300-350. As long as I'm huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat for a while I feel like I got a good workout. During the weekends I have more time so I try to go for 600-700 and add more variety.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 300 calories and above is a good work out for me. I am at goal weight and a very small person, so what is good for me may not be necessarily the right thing for you. 500 calories is an amazing work out!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    You burn less calories lifting heavy weights for an hour compared to doing cardio at 85% for an hour. What matters is that you stimulated your muscles and that you're within calorie deficit restrictions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition