South Beach Diet Friends?

Options
Hi! I'm not new, but I'm trying something different. I have always felt that my biggest pitfall is my inability to control my own eating. I won't be hungry, but I'll be unable to pass up food. I also find that this happens especially with carbs and greasy foods. I'm not tempted to eat extra lean meat or vegetables when I'm not hungry, but I can't walk through my kitchen, or sit in my room, without stopping for a bite of bread, or pita chips, or a granola bar. Leaving the room or keeping only whole grains in the house doesn't help either since I'll obsess about them. So, I'm trying the South Beach Diet to try to rework how I think about food. I'm hoping that the two weeks without carbs and sugar will reset my system so the cravings stop, and then I will be able to add them back in slowly without getting out of control. Please, before you criticize this diet plan, understand that it is not permanently cutting out any food groups, whole grains and fruit are encouraged after the first two weeks, it's more about learning how to eat the right foods and stop eating when you're full. I do understand how to create a balanced diet and I plan to eat all food groups as soon as the two weeks of phase 1 are over.

Is anyone else following this diet? Would you like to be friends to help me keep on track?

Replies

• ScarlettDam
    ScarlettDam Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the south beach diet but I wish you lots of luck.

I do have a question or observation. you said " I can't walk through my kitchen, or sit in my room, without stopping for a bite of bread, or pita chips, or a granola bar"... if this is how you feel how does doing a diet change that? I mean isn't deciding to eat no carbs for 2 weeks the same as deciding to eat no more than 1200 calories a day.

What I am getting at is this: if you have the will power to follow a strict diet then you have the will power to be successful at calorie counting that means as long as you stay under your daily calorie intake goal you'll lose weight.

In the end it all comes down to will power and making this choice is the first step.
    Again good luck

Scarlett
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I started South Beach prior to Thanksgiving. I found after day 3 of the first two weeks, I felt great and wasn't hungry. Two weeks wasn't hard as long as you plan and shop ahead of time. Week 3 was easy adding back food. Then Thanksgiving hit.... I really like the program. I have a friend that has lost 50 lbs in one year on it and eats lots of foods. I felt great on it and plan to go back on it after the holidays. Best of luck to you.
  • mikaelmckendrick
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs in 15 days on this diet. While it's a quick fix, unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated, it's difficult to sustain. I did this and then the Paleo diet (I had an event to attend). Bottom line: It was HORRIBLE! It all goes back to "everything in moderation." Limiting yourself to certain foods and having a list of "no-no" foods is just putting more stress on yourself. You can have the pasta, just make sure it's whole wheat and only 1 cup, not the whole box. You can have ice cream, but try the sugar free sorbet instead. And only 1/2 cup, once a week. We all know over-indulging isn't about the actual food, it's the underlying issues. Good luck on your path to good health!
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The idea for me (backed up by the promotors of the diet, some scientific literature, and my and my mother's experience with cutting out sugar) is that cutting out the carbs and sugar will get rid of my cravings for them. As I understand it, our brains are wired so that we eat as much calorie-laden food as we can find, a relic from when humans didn't have high calorie foods readily available and would need them to bulk up. Except now, we have the foods everywhere and are moving less and eating more, and our brains are still giving us the signal to eat high carbohydrate foods as much as we can. I'm hoping that taking these out of my body can reduce this urge to eat them, so it really is a decision to "not eat carbs for right now (2 weeks, but hopefully the cravings will go away before that)." For me, this is a much easier fight against will power than the fight to eat less than 1,200 calories per day for months. If this works, and the cravings go away, I can be satisfied on a 1,400 calorie diet (including healthy whole grains, rice, fruit etc) without a constant urge to binge on unhealthy food.
  • mikaelmckendrick
    Options
    On a side note, due to the high fat that is allowed in the SB diet, make sure you have your MD check your labs before you start and during. If you are obese and have a family history of heart disease this may not be the diet that is best for you.
  • Tupelo64
    Tupelo64 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there..

I am just finishing my 2 weeks on Phase 1. I have done this diet before and it works for ME. I am 48 and going thru Menapause a'natural so my belly fat is out of control.. and I exercise 3 days a week. Last year I joined had a personal trainer and worked out 5 days a week - hard.. kept my eating at 1200 calories a day.. and joined a weight loss biggest loser team. I worked out the hardest, ate the leanest and loss the least. UGH. My trainer said that my hormonal changes made it difficult (not impossible) but difficult to lose and targeting belly fat is difficult.

I tried SBD with a friend about 7 years ago when I just started to get a belly and was amazed at the results.. I had a friend and that helped because breaking the sugar addiciton is just about as bad as any addiction. So back on it I went again.

I am on the end of week 2.. and what helped me is my OCD.. I planned every dinner, prepped on the weekend for my snacks.. and became super hyper disciplined about no sugar. I am like you a "grazer" I can eat, munch, etc all day long.. I grew up skinny and could eat this way until I hit 40.. then I had to educate myself quickly on nutrition. So you can friend me if you like and take a look at my diet plan if that helps you.

So results.. 2 weeks in and I have lost 2 lbs but even better I have lost 2" off my belly.. and yes I realize that it will come back if I load back up on sugar.. so really my motto is snack on protein or veggies when I can.. snack often and ward off the munchies.. eat a good protein and 2 veggies every night for dinner. Remember sugar is like cigs... you will rationalize anything for just one smoke or one hoho lol :)

I have read folks who are cruel in their posts in the name of educating others.. but be nice everyone please.. if you did not need support you would not be on this site. Grace given is Grace received!

Best of luck to you!
  • Tupelo64
    Tupelo64 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs in 15 days on this diet. While it's a quick fix, unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated, it's difficult to sustain. I did this and then the Paleo diet (I had an event to attend). Bottom line: It was HORRIBLE! It all goes back to "everything in moderation." Limiting yourself to certain foods and having a list of "no-no" foods is just putting more stress on yourself. You can have the pasta, just make sure it's whole wheat and only 1 cup, not the whole box. You can have ice cream, but try the sugar free sorbet instead. And only 1/2 cup, once a week. We all know over-indulging isn't about the actual food, it's the underlying issues. Good luck on your path to good health!

So greatly put! My quick fix will hopefully reset my mindset to everyting in moderation and really just help reset my sugar habit!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm on phase 2, loosely. If I have to have something sugary or not a complex carb, I work it into my day.
    I will never give up sushi, and we go generally twice a month. I have not seen any negative impact on my loss.
    I wish you all lots of luck! :)
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss on the SB diet. Actually my doc recomended it as it fits well with a gluten allergy until you have to add back in whole grains. I ended up going to a nutritionist who tweaked the diet for me. You can check out my diary. After 2 years and 185 lbs lost I am quite pleased, however, the diet requires a huge amount of time chopping,dicing and baking. I shortcut some of this by pan sauteing in a nonstick pan. I used to have quite a sweet tooth and have learned over time to do withou sugar and salt and really taste the goodness of fresh foods. I still have cravings for sweet things I just do them occassionally. The craving part never seemed to go away and it isn't easy to stay on 1200 cals for a long time. But I can honestly say the price I paid was worth it.
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • charitycrafter
    charitycrafter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did SBD for about 2 years with great success, lost 45 pounds. Then slowly the occasional foods became more frequent over time. I say it's a great way of eating. Plan ahead, do as much prep work for your veggies as you can when you have the time.

I found the first few days were absolutely horrible, headachey, tired, just an over all feeling of yuck. It helps to add beans daily in the first week to get some healthy carbs, because remember that South Beach isn't a low carb diet, it's a good carb diet.

I still use some of the guidleines- eat brown rice instead of white, sweet potatoes instead of white, eat lots of veggies.

Good luck
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me today that I should try the SBD. I checked out the book from the library and will read through it over the weekend. I don't have a problem doing that, I just hope the calories aren't too low because I do a lot of exercises.
  • shaycg21
    Options
    I love SB and had started it again a few months back...then all the family birthdays came, thanksgiving and now Christmas... I have got to change my mentality, when I "cheat" I have got to remember to get back on at next meal instead of going 2 months!! Add me as a friend if you like. I am meal planning to start the two weeks of phase 1
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I forgot my towel.
  • breakinrecords
    Options
    I did SB over a year ago lost 20 pounds and was doing well, until i started dating someone who eats like poo. I have gained everything back plus a few and started back on phase 1 today. I may do better if i have support too. add me if you are still looking for friends :)
  • shecasper
    Options
    I have used SBD in the past and was successful with my husband. We lost about 100 pounds between us. It is a very sustainable program if you are aware of what you are doing. It is not a "diet" really, it is a healthy way of eating. We know that and understand that. The first two weeks are the most restrictive, but it is doable. I encourage you or anyone that wants to learn about it to check out the books, web site or even FB and learn about it before you bash something you dont known about. Go beyond personal experience. Not every program is for everyone. that is why some work for some and other programs work for others. Losing weight is not a one-size-fits all idea. We each find what works for us and go with it. I would love to be your buddy and work with someone through this process again. We have had a lot of changes in the last 12 months and need to lose some of the weight gained back because of our own issues not because the program is faulty. Eating right is what south beach is all about, we dont count calories, carbs or anything else. We eat healthy, exercise and are not hungry if done right.
    Ginger
  • zlm1987
    Options
    Hey!

Are you still thinking of following South Beach? ( I call it South Beach because like some others said its more a healthy lifestyle change than a diet, after Phase 1 anyway!!)
    I first started it in October, Phase 1 went really well - im not sure how much weight i lost as i didnt weigh myself, i began Phase 2 and then my partner was involved in an RTA, quite a serious one and i lost the focus. Other half is now well on the mend and has returned to work, thank god!
    I am about to have another serious go at weight loss, becoming fitter, and hopefully giving up smoking, due to booking my wedding :)
    X
  • jaenetty37
    jaenetty37 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do you not feel hungry all the time? I am in phase 1 also of SB but feel hungry constantly... now on day 5
  • zlm1987
    Options
    Hey!
    I did have my days like that, and im sure im about to have them again :/
    I made sure i had salad bits in the fridge all the time to nibble on, - i add red onion for loads of flavour - not too great for the breath though!!
    Also cut loads of little chunks of cheese and have them in a tub in the fridge.
    Low fat yogurt,
    Hard boiled eggs,
    and - fat free jelly. Lime is my favourite flavour.

Theres no limit on portion size with South Beach so you can have a dinner, then a jelly, then later if you're still peckish try a bit of cheese or egg.

Keep trying! You will lose the cravings soon, and then when you add in carbs again you will find you eat smaller portion sizes. Thats what i found anyway, and i liked the diet for the benefits it has on the heart and reducing the risk of diabetes.
    Let me know how you're getting on and ill let you know how i get on :)
  • dblk19
    dblk19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started SBD on Sunday...I have read all the literature and many posts both positive and negative. Personally, I thought I would have great difficulty staying away from bread, pasta, etc, but honestly, I am on Day 3 and feel great! I have not had any cravings and my energy level has stayed consistent throughout the day. I am looking forward to continuing on this diet and adding back in various foods that I have abstained from, but I truly don't miss them as much as I thought. I am still tracking my calories on MFP to make sure I am not going over, but we have approached this diet as a lifestyle change and not a "fad" diet. Best of luck to all of you trying it and feel free to add me as a friend to share stories, recipes, ideas, etc......:smile: