DDP Yoga? Pros and cons?

Options
I have been looking into the DDP yoga for a while. I have yet to meet anyone who has actually done it. I'm wondering if some folks here on MFP could shed some light??

I have taken a whole bunch of different yoga classes so I'm very familiar with the movements and have taken a few power yoga classes, so that's not what I am worried about. I'm wondering if it's worth the money. How different is it?

Also, my boyfriend thinks I'll hate it because of DDP (who, apparently I should know? My bad.) any comments on him?

I'm about to finish insanity next week and I want to get back into running and looking to keep toning, but I'm not quite ready to start lifting (long story).

Thoughts???

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    My first impression of DDP is he is like Hulk Hogan, but with a sticky mat. Anyone?
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Is this a bad sign?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Is this a bad sign?
    I quite like the idea!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My SO works for WWE (that's World Wrestling Entertainment) so there are a couple of people I know who do it there, Diamond Dallas Page being an "ex" "pro" "wrestler".

It's really an exercise program like any other, there are no pros or cons that you wouldn't find with P90X, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, etc. it's kind of a no-nonsense program though. As a personality, I don't really like DDP but I guess he is more of a hit with dudes than chicks.

Is it very different from any other exercise program you've done? Probably not. It's basically "power yoga". But every exercise program has a list of people who swear by it. Any decent program will at least give you a demo or a trial so you can see if you connect with the instructor and the program individually.

Edit: He's on YouTube if you want to see some examples of his stuff
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a little less than six months and I love it. I follow the work out schedule it comes with and I have had a huge change in my flexibility. I also have scoliosis and it has helped straighten out my spine A LOT! So no complaints about it from me! I have before and afters from my first three months on my page still I believe if you want to look(:
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my sister does it! shes not much smaller than me and she is looking so much more defined this past month! i started it yesterday i loved it xx
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever heard about DDP Yoga is this, and it's pretty extraordinary, but then again, so is the subject of this documentary:

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

I suggest anyone struggling with motivation watch that video, totally worth it.
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started it last week and so far so good.

I started using MFP back in March and I lost around 30 pounds in combination with using Power 90, the precursor to p90x. After finishing p90 I tried to move on to p90 Master Series but I kind of got off track and then my herniated disc starting really giving me a hard time again so when I learned about DDP I thought I would give it a try.

What got me interested was seeing the inspiration video of Arthur, the Gulf War vet that went from barely being able to walk to dropping almost 200 pounds through DDP, and the fact that DDP actually created this as a result ot the back injuries he sustained through professional wrestling.

I can't think of any cons per se other than the fact that this program probably would not lead to building the kind of muscle mass or the quick type of weigt loss, one might receive through a p90x or Insanity but it really depends on what your goals are and how focused you are on your diet and how much work you put into the routines.

The main pro for me is the fact that there is virtually no impact from doing this routine.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I remember him from watching wrestling as a teenager, I remember a lot more of his wife Kimberly. Still have a copy of a magazine she did hidden somewhere in this house...and I really wish I could find that damn thing.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just remember! It ain't yo grandma's yoga! now get on it!