I need some of your favorite Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
Hi I am kinda new at Vegetarian cooking and while I am googling like mad and loving what I see I want to see what the great folks on Myfitnesspal have to offer :)

Replies

• rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    First almost any recipe can easily be made vegetarian.When making chili or lasagna just use meatless crumbles instead of beef.Check out some free recipes online and at cookbooks from the library.Make sure you are getting enough protein,vitamin B-12,iron,and healthy fats for your body to function properly.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am also taking a multi vitiamin :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I stick to healthy alternatives to vegetable fritattas, quiches, pasta bakes, fried rice, pizza... pasta salads, sanwhiches, protein supplements.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    foodgawker.com has really good vegetarian recipes! I've definitely spent a good hour or two on their in my day...
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegatarian meals are:

Breakfast:
    Soyrizo and Eggs with a brown rice/eziekiel tortilla

Lunch:
    Kitchen Sink Salad (whatever fresh veg/nuts/seeds/sprouts i have go into the salad, on occasion some fruit as well)

Dinner:
    Lightly sauted veggies with garlic and onions. Fried egg on top (i use coconut cooking spray to keep it low cal).

Snacks:
    Raw Vegan Bars
    Protein Shake
    Fruit
    Greek yogurt/ Soy yogurt
    Hummus + Crackers
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    We just made the most AWESOME lentil curry soup last night! It was so freaking good! We added unsweetened coconut flakes to it too, and it was just to die for.

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/09/28/coconut-red-lentil-soup/
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    GIANT stuffed portobello mushroom cap.

Scrape the gills out and cut off the stem. Chop up whatever you want to put into your mushroom (I used roasted red pepper, spinach, and the stem of the mushroom). Heat some olive oil in the pan and sautee your stuffings. While your stuffings are softening, scoop cream cheese and bread crumbs into a bowl (I added pesto to mine too). After your stuffings are softened, mix them in with your cream cheese and bread crumbs. Then scoop this into your mushroom cap and sprinkle more bread crumbs on top. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 mins.

sweet potato, chickpea, and spinach burgers.

1/2 can of chickpea (drained), 1.5 tbs of mayonnaise, a cup of spinach, salt, pepper, dill, and a tbsp of olive oil into the food processor until everything sticks together. I microwaved a skinned sweet potato during this process. After the sweet potato is cooked (7 mins), I mashed it in a bowl. I then mixed the contents of the food processor into the mashed sweet potato mix. Form the burgers into 4 patties, wrap in foil, and place in the oven at 350 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and heat the burgers for 20 more minutes. Flip, then heat for 10 more minutes. Serve on a bun :) Delicious!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Bump.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    In for curiousity's sake.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Tonight I made Quinoa, Lentil, Blackeyed Pea Veggie Loaf. The left overs can be used as a protein replacement for tacos spaghettis sauce, chili. I served the loaf shephard pie style. I made mashed potatoes, vegeterian gravy, and added corn with cheddar cheese on top. The loaf makes alot and Quinoa is know as a super protein. It also gluten free which is great for people who have Celiac's disease. I love to cook.
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Stew!!

Chickpeas Garbanzos, 1 container
    Quinoa, 0.5 cup dry
    Pacific Natural Foods - Organic Veg Broth, 1 cup
    Frozen Butternut Squash, 1 container
    Robert Mondavi Woodbridge - Pinot Grigio, 7.5 oz.
    Sunflower - Organic Coconut Oil-Expeller Pressed, 0.5 Tbsp
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    GARLIC!
    Cinnamon
    Tumeric
    Cumin
    Cayenne

Mix all together and simmer and BLAM!!! AMAZING!:heart:
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I like your recipe except for the mayo. Most are made with eggs so I would use Nayonaise or Veganaise. I guess it just matters what kind of vegeterian you are. My hubby doesn't eat eggs so I am careful about recipes with the Mayo. Nayonaide or the Veganise can be found at most grocery stores. I haven't found it at Walmart though.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    thank you for asking this question cuz now i can try some of the recipes too!!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Every recipe site that I've ever used has had tons of vegetarian recipes, and most have vegan recipes too. You can vegetarianize many things, veganizing is somewhat more difficult.

Also, google Chocolate Covered Katie, Post Punk Kitchen, and Vegan Heartland. All have great recipes. (Personally, I LOVE Vegan Heartland.)

Enjoy!
  • slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try recipes from herndonjessica - she is vegan and makes the most delicious food!!!!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I goggled some recipes did you add recipes
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetarian food blog you can check out: goudamonster.com It's a young blog so it's not overloaded with recipes yet or anything, but there are a few pages now. :)

Also my diary is open and I'm willing to try and explain how I cook any of the dishes you see in there, if something strikes your fancy.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Cassie you might be eating too many carbs. I didn't realize when I started cooking for my hubby Pasta, Rice too many carbs. Looks like you need to up your protein.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I am cooking vegeterian for the family next week but my son isn't happy about it. He isn't going to realize I will be sneaking in lentil quinoa loaf for taco's salad. My daughter likes lentil salad so that is on the menu as well.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My favourites are all here: http://familyfriendlyveg.wordpress.com/ and I'll be adding more