Nuts

Options
TAS82
TAS82 Posts: 19 Member
What are the best nuts to buy? I need a protein packed snack and I was wondering which nuts were the best and healthiest options?

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    soy nuts if you actually want protein...otherwise find a better protein source...nuts suck.
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    pistachios! My favorite snack!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I love almonds and the "Heart Healthy Planters Nutrition Nut mix"... I limit myself normallly to 200 calories per day.
  • libbyevans7
    Options
    For a healtier option I would suggest dry roasted edaname. It has fewer calories and fat and a much higher protein content.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Go with what you like and compare the stats. Personally I love almonds so I'm more likely to actually eat them rather than have them sit in the cabinet so that's what I buy.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a pretty crap source of protein; more of a fat source.

You'd be better off with some boiled eggs, jerky, canned tuna, etc.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    soy nuts if you actually want protein...otherwise find a better protein source...nuts suck.

Agreed high calorie for protein and calories.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Most nutritionalists will point you to almonds, cashews, walnuts, and peanuts all raw...no salt, no sugar. Great for you in more ways than just protein. I keep a canister here in my office full of the above and even add sunflower seeds (raw as well) and just eat when I need. Superb health benefits and will help burn fat. Portion control :)

And yes on pistachios, edamame, and the Planter's Health series...good call.

Google the health benefits.....

Good luck and go nuts!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    LOLZ
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat the ones that you like the best! I like peanuts, cashews, and almonds, so those are what I eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    all raw...no salt, no sugar.

But not like this ^^^

Eww... Gotta have that salt, and occasionally, dipped in chocolate
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just about every nut is healthy. Which is healthiest for you would depend on what else you are eating. I eat mostly almonds because they taste yummy and are usually a lot cheaper than most other nuts except for cashews and peanuts. I'm not a fan of peanuts but peanut butter is on my most frequently used list.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Edit: I get it now; you meant they suck as a source of protein. Correct. (But soy is not a nut, and soy sucks in general imo.)

Nuts are an excellent source of healthy fat. I eat walnuts and macadamias mostly because I'm picky about what kinds of fat I eat (ie less omega 6). I always eat raw and unsalted nuts because I'm concerned about health foremost and, yes, they DO taste good. Roasting damages the quality of the fat and salt makes it easy to overeat them imo.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Edit: I get it now; you meant they suck as a source of protein. Correct. (But soy is not a nut, and soy sucks in general imo.)

Nuts are an excellent source of healthy fat. I eat walnuts and macadamias mostly because I'm picky about what kinds of fat I eat (ie less omega 6). I always eat raw and unsalted nuts because I'm concerned about health foremost and, yes, they DO taste good. Roasting damages the quality of the fat and salt makes it easy to overeat them imo.

Double like and totally agree. Nice.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Walnuts = Awesome:smile:
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tend to use nuts as a fat hit with secondary protein. I generally have peanuts, cashews and almonds. I weigh them too because they are very calorific.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Walnuts = Awesome:smile:

Yeah they are, they also have double the antioxidants of any other nut. I like almonds too though and have about 5 containers and huge bags in my desk at work...but every morning I'll add walnuts to my overnight oatmeal