Cycling+HRM Question

Options
I just looked up the logging options for cycling as im going to be starting to cycle tomorrow to compliment my running and I noticed that they rate it with speed as well as effort. I dont currently have a speedometer for my bike but i do have a HRM. So my question i this, what kind of range should my heart beat be on a vigorous workout. When I did C25K (WK5 D1) last week at the end of the running session my HR was between 160/165 and that was going pretty good.

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Rough estimate of your max heart rate is 220 minus your age. Easy is 70-75% of this number, Moderate is 75-80% of this number. I'm guessing vigorous would be 80-85% of this number? Sorry, I'm not an expert, I just happened to be reading the numbers regarding the moderate/easy heart rates a few minutes ago.

Also, check out www.walkjogrun.net -- it's a great tool for tracking distance for biking and especially for running.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Since you have a HRM it really doesn't matter which cycling workout you pick since you can enter how many minutes and calories you burned while on your ride. I use 2 different ones. When I go with my kids I pick the leisurely ride, and when I go to spin class or ride my road bike I go with the vigorous one. Hope this helps.
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great! I shall give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes :0)
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Since you have a HRM it really doesn't matter which cycling workout you pick since you can enter how many minutes and calories you burned while on your ride. I use 2 different ones. When I go with my kids I pick the leisurely ride, and when I go to spin class or ride my road bike I go with the vigorous one. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately my HRM doesnt give a calories burned reading :0( So i was going to use the heart rate to judge how much effort i was exerting as what i think is intensive and what really is might be two separate things lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Estimating the energy cost of road cycling is always a challenge. Not only do you have variable terrain and environmental conditions, you are often varying your pedaling effort, coasting, etc, etc.