cooking vegetarian around my allergies?

Options
da_sammit
da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
hiya! im looking to get into more vege recipes (meats getting a bit too exxy for an everyday meal item) and was wondering if anyone can help me!!

i suffer from allergies to most veg so these are the ones i cant use (trust me, i LOVE half of these things on this list and would happily eat them if they didnt make me stupidly sick and in some cases, dead):

- beans/lentils/chickpeas/ peas
- garlic/onions/leaks/spring onions/ shallots/ chives- basically anything that tastes or smells like an onion
- all melons/ dates/ oranges
- cauliflower/ broccoli/ cabbage/ chinese veg/ brussel sprouts/ lettuce

there are probably more but these are the ones i have to avoid at all costs. im not really a picky eater but there are things i will avoid (ie corn, eggplant, capsicum) but im pretty good with eating and trying new things..

can anyone help either with some recipes i can try/alter or point me in a good direction?? most recipe sites i have found tend to use about 90% of the things that will kill me and im yet to really find anything other than a warm spinach and pumpkin salad and a sweet potato and tomato pizza.

Replies

• Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I wonder if spanicopita (sp) would work for you. It is quite tasty. I am sure that you could remove onions or any of the things you couldn't eat. It is basically spinach pie with cottage or ricotta cheese and filo dough. You can use spinach or swiss char. You are allergic to things I can have so it is hard to help you out.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Zucchini / Carrot Slice... (add mushrooms if you like them too)...

Carrot soup (puree the carrot and just have that with some toast)

Pumpkin soup

Sweet potato chips (chop them up and roast them)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Can you have tofu? Almonds? Important to find something with a higher protein content - although you can get quite a bit from grains.

What about something like risotto and put into it whatever veggies you can eat.
    Same goes pasta.
    If you can eat cheese that can be the protein source for both of these meals.

Also quinoa is a very high protein grain/seed. Really yummy. Use it as you would rice and just mix in whatever veggies you can have.

Fried rice with whatever veg you can have (and tofu)

And if you don't already maybe try some things like pearled barley which is super filling and maybe spelt.

Basically i think if you are alergic to so many veggies, don't want eat meat then focus alot on grains, and get protein also from dairy and eggs which are cheap (assuming you can eat those).

If it is just about cost a 1kg packet of kangaroo mince really doesn't cost very much. Neither do cuts of meat like lamb shanks or osso bocco or anything really that needs long slow cooking.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How about a frittata or quiche? Eggs plus maybe cheese would get you your protein, and you can pretty much use whatever vegetables you want.

This is more of a side, but is kasha available where you live? It's buckwheat, and you can usually find it in either the kosher section of the supermarket or in a Russian market if there are any near you. It's a great, fairly low-calorie source of whole grain with relatively a lot of protein.

You might also want to look into ways to stretch meat out. For example, you can use chicken to make a soup, and then save whatever you don't eat in the soup to make pot pies.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • Marigenous
    Options
    Can you eat soy and seaweed? I find that miso soup is a great cheap meal (homemade only though - restaurant versions will have onion) - miso paste, tofu, soy sauce, shredded seaweed/kelp, and optional add-ins like mushrooms.

Indian food is cheap, flavourful, and versatile. Recipes like saag aloo (a spinach and potato curry) will often call for garlic or onion, but since the rest of the dish is so seasoned, you'd be fairly okay to eliminate it.

For something more filling, try looking into things like vegetarian barley soups. Again, I'd suggest more heavily spiced soups that rely on much more than onion or garlic for flavour. Be careful of vegetarian soup stocks, since most will contain items you're allergic to. Instead, try nutritional yeast. It's easy to find in health or vegan shops and adds a lovely umami taste.

Roasted vegetables like beets, carrots, parsnip, potato, asparagus, zucchini, etc. with a balsamic glaze and served with baguette and cheese is always lovely for a special occasion.

For protein, make sure to eat plenty of things like tofu, eggs, cheese, milk, nut milks, tempeh, yogurt, nuts, seeds, barley, quinoa, etc. Even some veggies like avocado and spinach aren't bad sources.
  • Marigenous
    Options
    Also! Veggie stir-fry with soba noodles or rice, tofu, a garlic/onion-free sauce, and your favourite veg

A nice breakfast is swiss muesli. Equal parts raw rolled oats and fat-free plain yogurt with one shredded apple your choice of toppings. I find good ones include banana, dried fruit, seeds, or fresh berries. It's nice for people like me that can't stomach traditional breakfast foods and starts the day with a nice kick of protein.
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    its a money thing and also im trying to up the healthier vegies rather than just relying on meat and carbs like i do right now. my doctor recommends a diet change towards a bit more veg to help my system get back into normal function. ive been so sick this year because im so run down (surgery, pain, cant walk, keep getting infections) that my body just needs a big kick start for a few months and hopefully i can keep this going long term.

so basically im doing this 1) for health and 2) because it may be a better alternative to my budget to make things stretch further.

so open to all ideas!!

so far no allergies to dairy or grains/pasta/gluten.