Day after a high calorie day.

Options
I was over my calories yesterday - oops! Bit of a slip up but a fab party!

Am I better to just eat normally today (normal calorie level) or to eat less to account for yesterday?

Replies

• SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, you weren't over by much. Just carry on as normal! :smile:
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    just balance it out in todays calories, but general if you are over in 1 day it is no big deal, but if u are over by 300-500 calories yes account them in your calorie intake today and eat less

if u r over by less calories JUST IGNORE IT AND KEEP GOING
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it no matter what. Trying to account for an "over" day just means you'll be starving and miserable. Not worth it. ESPECIALLY when you're only "over" a small amount, and still under your maintenance. You still lost weight, just not as much.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    just balance it out in todays calories, but general if you are over in 1 day it is no big deal, but if u are over by 300-500 calories yes account them in your calorie intake today and eat less
    Why would you do this?
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    Why would you do this?

to make her feel better, as i mentioned 1 day is nothing, im just suggesting if she feels so bad about it that she can account it for todays calories or even the next 5 days just to keep her mentally motivated

and im sure you have more knowledge than me in this topic that one day wont do anything to her plan
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Just remind yourself that a pound is 3500 calories, and carry on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you were 123 cals over... really?!!?!?
  • plaingirly
    Options
    123 over is based on my estimate but I didn't take any paper so didn't write down what I ate.

Probably missed a few things!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    123 over is based on my estimate but I didn't take any paper so didn't write down what I ate.

Probably missed a few things!
    I understand how you feel. I myself went through a few days like that. Just understand that in the grand scheme of things, it won't do a bit of damage.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Only 123 calories. Pfft. That's no biggie. Just eat normally. If it makes you feel better mentally, you could cut today's calories by the same amount, but there's not need for that.
  • cw1710
    Options
    Eating less will slow down your metabolism, and have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. It can also put you into starvation mode and you will overeat again. If you want to feel better at the end of a day of going over, do an extra bit of exercise before going to bed. Jog for half an hour, do some crunches, ride a bike, etc. Just a few simple, short exercises to get your metabolism up will help you burn those extra calories for recovery while sleeping.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Just go back to your normal diet, I don't believe compensatory behaviour is a healthy mindset to have. It's just one day, it won't affect your long term progress.
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Each person is different. I personally, like to eat less the day before and day after when going over.( We have staff potlucks and fat Fridays , so I know when I may be going over). I guess it is a mind game I play with myself.

Disclaimer : I know this is not for everyone. This works for ME .I have lost almost 60 pounds in the last 19 months slowly and safely . For the first time I am keeping it off. Please find what works for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All this means is that, instead of 284 days* to reach your goal, it might take 284 days, 3 hours, 12 minutes, and 5 seconds.

IOW - don't sweat it.

* I have no idea what your goals are, nor how long it would take to achieve them. I'm just trying to illustrate a point.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eating less will slow down your metabolism, and have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. It can also put you into starvation mode and you will overeat again.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I was over my calories yesterday - oops! Bit of a slip up but a fab party!

Am I better to just eat normally today (normal calorie level) or to eat less to account for yesterday?

Usually I try to make up for it the next few days so I'm not miserable and hungry the next day. So if I ate 300 cals over yesterday, I'd eat 100 under for the next 3 days.

I usually do this on purpose though. I like to be more relaxed with calories on the weekends (but I'll do longer workouts) and then I'll stay under and be pretty strict during the week but with shorter workouts. It works for me but I know everyone's different.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP sets you up on a deficit, so if you go over by a little you're just eating a smaller deficit that day (unless you go over by more than 500, at which point you would have reached maintenance or even a gaining level of calories). However, since you're trying to eat at a deficit all the time, in the end it really doesn't matter so long as going over is not an everyday thing.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eating less will slow down your metabolism, and have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. It can also put you into starvation mode and you will overeat again.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!
    I've learned from this site that you can't stop the madness. It's like the mail.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Eating less will slow down your metabolism, and have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. It can also put you into starvation mode and you will overeat again. If you want to feel better at the end of a day of going over, do an extra bit of exercise before going to bed. Jog for half an hour, do some crunches, ride a bike, etc. Just a few simple, short exercises to get your metabolism up will help you burn those extra calories for recovery while sleeping.

NO

please go learn some basic information about your metabolism. It is not a Yo Yo and does not slow or speed up very easily.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    When I wanna burn extra calories I think really hard about hard things :happy: