egg whites and pam spray

Options
does using pam spray when frying eggwhites still considered frying?

Replies

• tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on how much you are using. If you just coat the pan or glass container (if using in microwave), then that is just enough to keep it from sticking without adding excessive oil calories. If the egg sits in a 1/2 inch of Pam spray... then I guess it would be more like frying. Interesting question, though.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yes. But not the same as using butter, margarine or lard. I count them as raw egg whites unless I use an excessive amount of Pam and then I add in the Pam and the estimated amount of spray time.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I agree with Staps065 in terms of what a fried egg is. I usually associate a "fried egg" as being one that was cooked with butter, bacon grease, lard, or other similar artery clogger.
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i use a generic non stick spray that doesnt have fat, or calories or anything else in it. i would say that it could be considered frying in someones eyes because its being cooked in a pan over heat, however, sauteeing is ALSO done in a pan over heat, so it really depends on who youre talking to and what their opinion is.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    if you use PAM olive oil spray....it has 0 cal 0 fat, etc.....a light spray is not the same as frying in fat!
  • KoriBarry
    KoriBarry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a pump I got @ Bed Bath & Beyond for $10 and then fill it with olive oil. MUCH cheaper than buying the spray! The pump gets filled with the regular olive oil. The lid acts as the pump and then voila! You have olive oil spray.

Heres the link to the item @ BB&B
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11318517&RN=214
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use real oilve oil in a sprayer as well.

We need real oil in our diet in order for our bodies to work properly and lose weight.

I had real eggs for breakfast with sauteed spinach in real OO and topped with cheddar cheese and 2 jimmy dean maple sausages patties on the side.

And still have plenty of calories for lunch then a steak and baked potato dinner with ceasar salad.

Once I learned how to modify real food and make it tasty and healthy at the same time, the weight started coming off.

No egg whites for me!

Unless they are on top of my pie, lol!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have scrambled egg whites every morning using Pam spray, I never log the calories. Just a quick spray of the pan to keep from sticking.
  • maeruthumb
    maeruthumb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody, I do like the idea of the pump with olive oil. I do like real oil but then, I guess the pam olive oil is real just a little more money.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think olive oil may actually be cheaper than Pam but you have to put out the initial expense for the pump spray.

But it sure is better for you.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I have a pump I got @ Bed Bath & Beyond for $10 and then fill it with olive oil. MUCH cheaper than buying the spray! The pump gets filled with the regular olive oil. The lid acts as the pump and then voila! You have olive oil spray.

Heres the link to the item @ BB&B
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11318517&RN=214

Bump - that sprayer looks cool!