Is it just me?!

Options
Morning all!

Just wanted to check it wasn't me this has ever happened to?! I have significantly cut down my eating habits this week and exercised every day for the first time in months and for the first time in about 2 years properly and yet the scales tell me I have lost nothing, nada, not even 1.2 lb?! Is this normal?
xx

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    We need to see your diary to help and also your starting weight, goal weights, stats etc :smile:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It has happened to THOUSANDS of people. You need to understand that all bodies respond differently.

If you continue to expend (through living + exercise) more energy than you consume (eating and drinking), you will lose weight.

For some people it can take 3-4 weeks to start to see any movement on the scales, whils for some others it happens overnight. Personally I regularly go for 3-4 weeks with no movement, then get a loss of a couple of pounds at once, then nothing again for a while.

Just follow the process and be patient!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    forks over knives
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on MFP who does everything right and doesn't lose every week. But she is toning and going down in clothes sizes, so I think that the saying muscle weights more than fat is true. I know when I used to exercise regularly I was the same weight as when I didn't but I was a smaller clothes size and much more toned. Don't worry about it, just keep doing what your doing and it and you will get where you want to be. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Twinkle230786
    Twinkle230786 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all, I was just wanting to check it was normal and that I would eventually see something change, guess a week isn't much really after a year of abuse (overeating under exercising!)
    x
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You probably gained muscle and might see the scale go up the first two weeks. Weight gain is not a bad thing. Fat gain is.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all, I was just wanting to check it was normal and that I would eventually see something change, guess a week isn't much really after a year of abuse (overeating under exercising!)
    x

Good attitude!

For future reference though, we can give you a lot more meaningful feedback if we can have a peek at your diary. If you find yourself still stuck in a couple of weeks then perhaps ask for some feedback on that.

Also, take measurements! Somewhere in this process you will realise that the scale is a lying little *kitten* and often not a good measure of progress. Taking pics of yourself and regular measurements are the base ways of ensuring you stay on track!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Yup. Definitely normal. I actually GAINED 2 pounds last week. I did everything pretty good all week except for one day. I weighed myself a couple days later and the 2 pounds were gone. Your weight will fluctuate, but if you keep doing what you are doing, it will trend down.
  • Twinkle230786
    Twinkle230786 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How do I share my diary?! Hadn't thought about the muscle thing. And one of the main things is I feel a lot better in myself even after a week so onwards and upwards! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You probably gained muscle and might see the scale go up the first two weeks. Weight gain is not a bad thing. Fat gain is.

no.

you need to keep going longer than a week, and exercising EVERY day is not necessary - you need at least one day rest per week!
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah...don't worry about it just keep doing what you doing, stick to your cals, exercise regularly (no need for every day) and you will see the weight will start coming off in week or 2 :smile:
  • bdamaster60
    Options

no.

you need to keep going longer than a week, and exercising EVERY day is not necessary - you need at least one day rest per week!

1. Where did i say stop at 1 week?
    2. For resistance training I would agree with you because the CNS requires more time to recover then any other system in the body. Cardio such as running and walking does not require much CNS effort therefore you can workout everyday. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

no.

1. Where did i say stop at 1 week?
    2. For resistance training I would agree with you because the CNS requires more time to recover then any other system in the body. Cardio such as running and walking does not require much CNS effort therefore you can workout everyday. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Regardless of everything else, nobody gains muscle just doing cardio on a calore deficit. Initial weight gain or no loss is usually due to water retention as muscles repair and adapt to new stresses.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sucks huh! It happens to me too.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Regardless of everything else, nobody gains muscle just doing cardio on a calore deficit. Initial weight gain or no loss is usually due to water retention as muscles repair and adapt to new stresses.

After not exercising 2 years properly, even a jog or fast sprint on the treadmill would be enough resistance to initiate small amounts of hypertrophy response would you agree? even if it was minimal growth.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

After not exercising 2 years properly, even a jog or fast sprint on the treadmill would be enough resistance to initiate small amounts of hypertrophy response would you agree? even if it was minimal growth.
    Wouldn't call it growth IMO. More likely swelling and glycogen being routed there when it hasn't been needed for years.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    fair enough, but you can't deny there is some stimulation.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle but it could very well be water retention from the new exercise program.
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    This is EXACTLY how I felt this morning. I've been working out steadily for 2 months now and today I just feel like I am STUCK forever. So discouraging. But I know from previous experience that this is just part of the journey. Last night I busted my @$$ working out doing an insanity work out...thought I was going to die I pushed so hard. This morning when I stepped on the scale and it didn't budge I felt like it was all for nothing. You're not alone! ;)
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    x

Good attitude!

For future reference though, we can give you a lot more meaningful feedback if we can have a peek at your diary. If you find yourself still stuck in a couple of weeks then perhaps ask for some feedback on that.

Also, take measurements! Somewhere in this process you will realise that the scale is a lying little *kitten* and often not a good measure of progress. Taking pics of yourself and regular measurements are the base ways of ensuring you stay on track!

^^This - lying little *kitten* indeed!! Measurements will be your best way to track progress. The scale might not budge, but you'll notice that all the sudden you're down a dress size! It's a fantastic feeling! :) Just keep at it! We're all here with ya!