Yoga DVD's and confusion?

Options
Hi guys,

I've just done a search around the forums looking for the best yoga dvd fitness as someone has recommended me the DDP yoga dvd which I can only find it coming from America and this probably won't reach me until after Christmas and ideally I want it for next week. So any recommendations (for a beginner who does zumba and also strength training with weights) would be extremely helpful!

However, while searching I have come a lot of anti-yoga comments, saying things like 'it slows your metabolism down' and 'it won't help you lose weight'. Why is this? If it is true, could someone link me to a reliable article before I make any rash decisions as this has rather put me off! I am just so confused! Success stories on what yoga has done for you (and maybe photos) would really help me out here. :)

Replies

• jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use P90X YogaX everyonce in a while. And I sweat like crazy. It's a power type yoga(my bro science opinion). So I don't think it slows down your metabolism. Lots of stretching and balance moves, not too fast so you can get a chance to see what's going on, good cues about the next move and cues about how to do the move as he(Tony Horton) does it. And I feel good after it.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've heard similar things, but science seems to say the opposite. Every article I've read has extolled the benefits of yoga, from its abilities to lower stress to the muscle definition it can give you because you're supporting your own body weight in certain poses. I've lost weight doing yoga and love it.

I think some people on here feel if you're not lifting heavy or running for miles, you're not doing "real" exercise. Don't let them get you down. :)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I use P90X YogaX everyonce in a while. And I sweat like crazy. It's a power type yoga(my bro science opinion). So I don't think it slows down your metabolism. Lots of stretching and balance moves, not too fast so you can get a chance to see what's going on, good cues about the next move and cues about how to do the move as he(Tony Horton) does it. And I feel good after it.

This is one of the ones that I see but I can't manage to find it on eBay, so I'll try Amazon at lunch time and make my decision there. I don't understand how it could slow your metabolism down because it just doesn't make sense if you're sweating and working your muscles. Surely movement = burning!? It's crazy people are making these assumptions, but it's making me feel that maybe it's not worth it when I see comments like that.

@FitFabFlirty9;; Thanks girly. I've seen a lot of articles on how relaxing Yoga can make you feel and I think that's a good sense of direction. I just want to make sure I am getting a good workout during the Christmas period as my classes for other exercise are not on, due to the schools they are held in being closed for the Christmas half-term. And I think it'd be nice to be much more flexible as I've also read!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yoga is like walking -- everyone can do it at some level...i look at it this way. - if i cant get comfortable supporting my own body weight with the right align,ent and posture why would i start picking up weights?

Idont go a single day without at least tenminutes of yoga and now i try my one leg stands through out the day whenever iget a chance.

Google barreclass on you tube...it has a lot of yoga in the many free classes available
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Yoga is like walking -- everyone can do it at some level...i look at it this way. - if i cant get comfortable supporting my own body weight with the right align,ent and posture why would i start picking up weights?

Idont go a single day without at least tenminutes of yoga and now i try my one leg stands through out the day whenever iget a chance.

Google barreclass on you tube...it has a lot of yoga in the many free classes available

Thanks! That makes me think it'll help me in all other aspects of life. Free sounds good to me!
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Anymore suggestions/enlightenment?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I did take a yoga class, and where as it's not some amazing quick fix weight loss thing, it does have its benefits, and downfalls. Benefits are it's great for building up strength to support your own body weight. It CAN tone you up (not as much as lifting). It is great for stress relief and relaxation. The stretches are still good for you. However, they can be bad and can cause injury. If you are doing a position and it dose not feel comfortable, stop. If something says to hold it for 30 seconds but you can only do 10, push for 12-15, and build up to 30 in time.

As far as slowing the metabolism, if you're just using yoga for a stretch, and you're still working out, I can't see it harming it
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I did take a yoga class, and where as it's not some amazing quick fix weight loss thing, it does have its benefits, and downfalls. Benefits are it's great for building up strength to support your own body weight. It CAN tone you up (not as much as lifting). It is great for stress relief and relaxation. The stretches are still good for you. However, they can be bad and can cause injury. If you are doing a position and it dose not feel comfortable, stop. If something says to hold it for 30 seconds but you can only do 10, push for 12-15, and build up to 30 in time.

As far as slowing the metabolism, if you're just using yoga for a stretch, and you're still working out, I can't see it harming it

Thank you! :)
  • jfthomas76
    jfthomas76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, it's been a big part of my weight loss journey so far and I've found it really helpful for everything from building my core and over all strength, streching & flexability and stress reduction. Depending on your body you'll find somethings easy and others more difficult but it's a great challange and a ablaced workout between cardio and strength training. I work with someone, one on one, every 2 weekks but in between I use a lot of the free videos on Yogajournal.com. There are all different levels and styles of instructors, they have free podcasts on itunes as well. I think you can order some of them as DVDs if you find one you like.
    Hope this is helpful - good luck!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The videos I've used have been the 3 YogaWorks videos, Budokon, and Rodney Yee power yoga. YogaWorks is great, especially if you're a beginner. Budokon combines yoga with martial arts. And the Rodney Yee videos are pretty good, though sometimes what he's telling you to do is not in sync with what's being performed on the screen. I can say yoga has helped me, I'm feel a better sense of balance and more flexible. Not sure how it could mess up your metabolism.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For the first 4 months of going on this site and working out... the only workouts that I did was DDP Yoga. I averaged about .5lbs a day lost in the first 3 months... and did the yoga workouts 6 days a week. I loved them. Now, I have transitioned to Kettlebells and DDPYoga for 6 days a week now...
  • Candique1
    Options
    Don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Yoga is fantastic for you. That's why they incorporate it into every Beachbody workout program like P90X, Slim in 6 and Yoga Booty Ballet.

Yoga will help you attain more strength and flexibiity, which we all need to stay healthy and avoid injury, relieve stress, tone muscles, digest food better, sleep better, improve glandular and lymphatic health and can even increase your metabolism. See this article: http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/top-10-yoga-poses-increase-metabolism

Also, there are many different types of yoga. Kundalini yoga, for example, has amazing health benefits and will definitely boost your metabolism. Try "Fat Free Yoga" with Ravi Singh and Ana Brett.

For more traditional yoga, try "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason.

There is a hatha based yoga workout on Denise Austin's "fat-blasting yoga" Her voice might annoy you though.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Yoga is fantastic for you. That's why they incorporate it into every Beachbody workout program like P90X, Slim in 6 and Yoga Booty Ballet.

Yoga will help you attain more strength and flexibiity, which we all need to stay healthy and avoid injury, relieve stress, tone muscles, digest food better, sleep better, improve glandular and lymphatic health and can even increase your metabolism. See this article: http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/top-10-yoga-poses-increase-metabolism

Also, there are many different types of yoga. Kundalini yoga, for example, has amazing health benefits and will definitely boost your metabolism. Try "Fat Free Yoga" with Ravi Singh and Ana Brett.

For more traditional yoga, try "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason.

There is a hatha based yoga workout on Denise Austin's "fat-blasting yoga" Her voice might annoy you though.
    I started yoga years ago with yoga for weight loss. Really good for the beginner. I like Suzanne Deason as a teacher. I am currently working on Yoga conditioning for women. I have such poor balance and this is really helping me to learn to focus.

I am a big fan of anything Rodney Yee. Yoga burn and power yoga are in my regular rotation right now.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    People who say that yoga isn't exercise or good for you have not tried yoga, or at least haven't given it a serious try. It improves strength (especially core), flexibility, balance, and it's good for your mind almost like meditation. I can't do the full P90X yoga yet, it's too long and I get tired. I usually do Tony Horton's One on One Patience Hummingbird.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    People who say that yoga isn't exercise or good for you have not tried yoga, or at least haven't given it a serious try. It improves strength (especially core), flexibility, balance, and it's good for your mind almost like meditation. I can't do the full P90X yoga yet, it's too long and I get tired. I usually do Tony Horton's One on One Patience Hummingbird.
    My good friend has inspired me greatly to get into good shape. He spoke always of how important lifting and HIIT was for good health. I had been doing yoga for years and he tried to say that I would never get anywhere doing a workout like that.. He called them powder puff. Anyway I finally talked him into joining me in a yoga. Ha his arms shook so hard and the sweat soaked his shirt straight through. We got about 40 min in when he said he had to stop. It was just too much. Fast forward 2 years and he still does bi weekly classes. The report I get is that he is able to do more in his other workouts because of it. And that if he has any body aches or imbalances he knows how to fix them.

I think he does the P90x yoga mostly.
  • KazzaLee13
    Options
    On the slowing metabolism thing I think they say that because yoga is relaxing so with less adrenalin in the body everything is going to slow down a little. But I see it as a selling argument adressed to those super stressed people with hyper tension who need to relax a bit. For them yeah it might slow down their metabolism. And I don't think they're talking about power yoga but about not challenging easy routines.
    As far as I'm concerned, I've gained flexibility, core strength and I love it! :)
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try looking up DDP yoga on youtube. I think they have some things posted. Good luck :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

However, while searching I have come a lot of anti-yoga comments, saying things like 'it slows your metabolism down' and 'it won't help you lose weight'. Why is this? If it is true, could someone link me to a reliable article before I make any rash decisions as this has rather put me off! I am just so confused! Success stories on what yoga has done for you (and maybe photos) would really help me out here. :)

The article people are talking about is actually from a book called "The Science of Yoga" by William Broad.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/02/10/146697650/the-science-of-yoga-the-risks-and-the-rewards

even he says the science is sketchy. He's a writer for the NY Times. He caused a big uproar in the yoga community early this year when he published an article (basically a way to sell books) called "How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body". Short form: you can get hurt doing yoga, be careful. Broad still practices yoga. The benefits outweigh the risks.

As far as yoga dvds go, I like Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden. The DDP stuff is too gimmicky for my taste, but I'm sure it has a lot going for it.

Any other questions? There's a yoga group on mfp that is open to all:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group