why does losing weight have to be so hard???

Options
I'm only on week one and feel like I should give up already!

Gaining weight is easy for me half the time I don't even know I'm gaining but losing is hard!! I'm always hungry. Grouchy cus I always want something carbolicious. I just need some tips or something cus by this time next week I may just order me a whole pizza and eat all of it at the rate I'm going!

Replies

• s_fehr
    s_fehr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do it! I love carbs and salt and i finally found for me i have trouble giving up the good foods so i exercise to earn them. In that i have found as i exercise and drink more water my cravings are dwindling away which makes it easier to eat salads, fruits and veggies and still have more room left for the good things.
  • smruggles
    smruggles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The first week is usually the hardest... I was hungry all the time, grouchy, and really just wanted to give up and keep eating what I love and what makes me happy.

This is about a life change, though... you're going to have to sacrifice at first. It does get much easier to eat healthier after week 1... your stomach shrinks and you start finding foods you love that are low calorie OR low cal versions of the food you love.

Also, you HAVE TO exercise as well. Eating right on it's own won't help you lose the weight or feel as fantastic NEARLY as fast as you'll lose if you add some work outs in your daily routine!! Start small... walking the dog. Walking around your work building on your lunch break, then work it up to jogging or joining your local YMCA. Honestly, the guilt of PAYING for the gym and not going is what gets me there lately. ;)

GOOD LUCK and we're here to support ya!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving the car. Filling up at the gas station isn't the high point.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    for a lot of people, the more refined carbs (sugar, flour, etc) you eat, the more you want. I would suggest trying really hard for a couple of weeks not to eat much of that stuff and eventually you won't crave it so much.

Notice I didn't say NOT to eat it, just focus on trading those things for fruit (still carbs, but more filling), vegetables, and lean proteins.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    This is about a life change, though... you're going to have to sacrifice at first. It does get much easier to eat healthier after week 1... your stomach shrinks and you start finding foods you love that are low calorie OR low cal versions of the food you love.

Ditto.

Also, you are threatening to order a pizza and eat the whole thing. Guess what? Pizza IS NOT off limits. Eating an entire pizza is. It really is all about moderation. You can make 3 pieces of pizza fit into your calories for the day. An entire pizza, not so much.

The good news is, the beginning is the hardest. This will get easier and easier and the weeks and months go on. It will become second nature to eat in a more healthful manner, you just have to be willing to put in the work. Nothing that is worth it comes easy. Rely on the message boards here for support...you can lose the weight so long as you want that end result bad enough!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving the car. Filling up at the gas station isn't the high point.

SO well put!!! What a great way to look at it. I always hate having to stop at the gas station to fill up. :wink:
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's hard because you do less putting it on than taking it off.

Sucks, I know.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't always be hungry. If you are, you need more protein.
  • Rachelle1016
    Options
    If it was easy, we wouldn't have any overweight people. As you eat better, you'll start to crave those things less and less. Eat good, feel good. You can do it!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your body fights against fat loss.

However, if you're feeling this bad after a week, there are probably some easy fixes you can make to increase your likelihood of adherence. You should open your diary so people can suggest changes.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It gets better! I promise! One of the things I did was to cut my pizza up into tiny bites and eat each bite very slowly..you than realize how filling it is and o ly eat about 1/4 of the amount. You can do this!
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Making a lifestyle change takes time. First, don't start out by starving yourself. You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE and try to start off somewhere in between those numbers. Often 1200 is way to low for people just starting out. Especially if you stomach hasn't had a chance to shrink from eating less yet. What is your weight, age and height?
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    You know the saying: Being overweight is hard, eating right is hard, being on control is hard. You choose your hard.

But as an encouragement it does get easier when you start to enjoy the new lifestyle, and acknowledge with grace the fact that you want a healthier life.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    for a lot of people, the more refined carbs (sugar, flour, etc) you eat, the more you want. I would suggest trying really hard for a couple of weeks not to eat much of that stuff and eventually you won't crave it so much.

Notice I didn't say NOT to eat it, just focus on trading those things for fruit (still carbs, but more filling), vegetables, and lean proteins.

^listen to this. I was coming here ton tell you it's not hard to lose weight. I hardly think about it anymore. A large part of my success is attributed to cutting down on simple carbs and loafing up on complex carbs. Oh, and protein and fiber are really filling so eat things that are high fiber/protein.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It does get better! Once you get into the habit of logging and looking at what you are eating, y ou start to think before you eat and make better choices. MFP was really difficult for me in the beginning, I had so many days and weeks where I wanted to give up and stop logging. I kept going and I'm almost halfway to my goal, it has taken time and I still have days where I feel like quitting, but my body is adjusting and so am I. It also helps to have people look at the food you are eating and help you to know what is good and what isn't so great for weight loss and for your body.

You can do this! It's not about just losing weight, it's about changing your whole lifestyle. It takes time but be patient and persistent!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Like has been said above, moderation, protein, whole grains. It will be hard retraining your carb cravings but it can be done. You don't say how old you are but if you want hard, try being obese for 40 years before making up your mind to change it! Do it while you're young for a long and happy life.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be hard.

Change your mindset about losing weight and it will become much easier. If you look at this as a punishment for being fat, then yes, it's going to suck and it's going to be hard. If you think of this as a lifestyle change in order to have a healthy body and look better (in the end), then it's not too hard after all. Just remember that this is long term, not immediate and you're going to have to wait for results. But that's ok.

Will some days still be horrible? Yes. Life is like that. Some days would be horrible even if you weren't trying to lose weight.

And as far as "carbilicious" food goes, you can still have pizza. I had pizza last night in fact. I had Lucky Charms for breakfast. I'm going to eat some chocolate later too. But I'm also going to make good choices today: an apple, yogurt and cottage cheese for snacks. Lean protein and veggies at dinner. Maybe a grapefruit later. It's about chosing the healthy option most of the time so you can have the not-so-healthy option some of the time.

Also - carbs are not evil. Lack of carbs does not equal weight loss. A calorie deficit equals weight loss. Carbs are a great source of energy. So, don't think you have to forego them to lose weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want carbs, eat carbs. If you want pizza, eat pizza. Just don't order a greasy ultra high calorie pizza and eat the whole thing. Make your own pizza with a whole grain crust, veggies, lean meat (optional) and reduced fat cheese. You will be surprised at the calorie difference. You can buy premade whole grain crusts if you don't want to make your own. Boboli crusts are pretty good, or I often by Kashi frozen pizzas and just add more of my own toppings (I wish they would sell just the crust!)

Unless you have a medical condition requiring you to limit carbs, there is no reason not to eat them. Stick to high fiber carbs and you'll likely feel full sooner.

Change is often hard, but you may be making it harder than it needs to be by restricting all your favorite foods. When possible, learn to make healthier versions of your favorite dishes. When not possible, eat light at your other meals and splurge now and then with the real stuff. But DO NOT give up and throw your hard work and health down the drain.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Most people gain weight slowly and then try to lose weight fast. That is why it seems so hard.

Try walking a mile and then sprinting a mile.

To fight hunger or the simple desire to munch on crap all day long, look for low calorie food options such as pickles, celery, spinach, plain popcorn, and more.

Some foods you can eat ALL day long and still lose weight.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    -Pick a moderate calorie goal.Pick the "1 pound per week" or "half pound per week" weight loss goal, it is easier to stick to.
    You will be less likely to want to go off the track because you are satisfied with what you are eating rather than driving yourself insane with a low calorie "diet".

- 80/20 rule. 80% healthy good choices, 20% treats or whatever you want. Eat from all food groups unless a medical condition
    requires you to cut something out. Work your favorite foods into your calories for the day so you don't feel the need to binge on
    them (like your pizza).

-Take a 30 minute brisk walk 3-5 times per week. You don't need a crazy intense exercise regime especially when you first
    start out. Do some push ups, squats, dips, planks. Do whatever you can to fit some activity into your day.

-Stick to it. Don't give up. Persistence and patience are the key. Don't throw in the towel if you have one slip up. Get right back on it. These things take time.