Am i loosing too much weight too fast???

Options
Sooooo I know this may sound crazy to most but I just weighted myself last night and was pretty much in shock!! I calculated everything and I lost 17 pounds from 11/26/2012 until now. Is this normal?? I know they say 1-2 pounds a week is the healthiest way to loose weight and I feel I have been eating and eating pretty well, just want to make sure I’m loosing weight the healthiest way and not overdoing it. Should I not go to the gym as much?? Right now I go mostly everyday except Sundays?? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated....

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating?

Honestly probably 10lbs of what you 'lost' was NOT fat loss, it was water weight, if you've cleaned up your eating. that's normal.
  • babytlow32886
    babytlow32886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1600 calories on any given day I feel the only changes that I have made is incorporating tabata classes within my workouts.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If you just started, I wouldn't get too worried. I lost half of the weight I've lost in the first 2 or 3 weeks, due to changing my diet so drastically and water weight. After the first month or so it slowed down to 1 or 2 pounds a week, which is great. If it doesn't start to level off you may want to evaluate things then.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    the more overweight you are the quicker you lose. The beginning is always the quickest, it will slow down eventually.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a few different answers but I think ... it all depends how much you have to lose, how you were eating before vs how you eat now, etc. 17 lbs in 3 weeks is a lot for someone that only needs to lose 30 lbs, but if you have 100+ lbs to lose and you were eating really bad before, I think it's "normal". You will not be losing 5 lbs every week. If you're really worried or this goes on for a few months, talk to a nutritionist or your doctor.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont freak

next month you will be asking why you are not losing anymore
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If strength goes up while weight goes down you are doing it right.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My first month I lost 14 lbs or so. Now it's zero, zero, two every 3 weeks or sometimes it's half, half ,one. But it's definately 2 lbs every 3 weeks. That's trying to lose 1.2 lbs a week so either my HRM is broken, my kitchen scale is broken, my eyes are broken when I don't have measuring spoons or a kitchen scale handy or it's just one of those things...

Your weight loss will slow down when you have less to lose as long as you are progressing, everything is still good.
  • babytlow32886
    Options
    Well I started my diet the end of August beginning of September this year and when I started I changed my diet drastically from day one. At first I was eating too little and under 1000 calories which my body didn’t agree with. Then I educated myself and now make sure I eat at least 1200 calories. I do find myself burning a lot of calories during my tabata classes and it shows when I leave and my shirt looks like I jumped in a pool of water... I guess ill be ok will just monitor my progress, just don’t want to drop too much weight to fast... trying to avoid saggy skin. And I did have 100 pounds to loose but now I’m at about 60lbs to go.
  • StarTrekkinDelta
    StarTrekkinDelta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nahh, when you first start out you do lose weight realllly fast. Then it slows down. You are on the right track. No, worries(:
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Saggy skin is something that depends on your age and your skins elasticity, and not with how fast you loose the weight. The older you get the more likely is the skin to sag and be difficult.
    If we were to say a young person lost like 60 lb in a period of 3 months and they then had saggy skin that took another 3 months to tighten then the progress of getting the wanted body would have taken 6 months, if the same person had a slow weight loss and lost 60 lb in 6 months and the person had done the same exact activities etc. then the body should look exactly the same and it would still had taken 6 months -it depends on the skins elasticity :wink:
  • babytlow32886
    Options
    Ok great information I was definitely misinformed. Thanks :-)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

no...your information was correct that 1-2 pounds is a good loss rate but it just did not include that at first, there is a lot of water weight loss that many people think is fat loss
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

no...your information was correct that 1-2 pounds is a good loss rate but it just did not include that at first, there is a lot of water weight loss that many people think is fat loss

this.

my frist week, i lost 12lbs. i was rather hoping that would keep up... it did not. damn it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!