addicted to chocolate...

Options
I need help with stopping eating chocolate altogether!! I need a substitute or any advice on how to stop cold turkey. I just can't/have never been able to limit myself to an acceptable amount of chocolate. I'll eat a ridiculously unhealthy amount. it's gotta go.

:(

Replies

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I heard magnesium tablets curb cravings for chocolate, but not tried them

I only buy 60%+ dark chocolate, it is hard for me to binge on that as it's so rich.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i love love love chocolate and i knew that i needed to cut back, so i gave it up for lent - i'm not really religious, but i used that as my reasoning and i haven't had any chocolate in 35 days. i really only craved it a little but it passed. i take magnesium, but i was told to take it to relax my muscles at night after a work out, never heard about it reducing chocolate cravings, but hey maybe that's part of it too!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Chromium Picolinate is supposed to help with carb/sugar craving. I have been adding chocolate Protein bars when I really crave chocolate.....it makes me feel like I got a little sweet something plus I get the added protein. Just search around and try different ones until you find ones you like, but watch the carb vs protein on them. More protein than carbs.
  • artsyuno
    artsyuno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The trick for me was to stop eating refined sugar completely. It really helped cut the cravings for sugar and chocolate.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    No need to give it up.
    Here's my fave:
    Endangered Species brand Intense Dark Chocolate with cacao nibs (it's the one with the fruit bat on the front)
    One serving is 1/2 the bar (220 cals)-I usually only eat one square (1/6 of a serving)
    The only ingredients are dark chocolate (cocoa, unbleached beet sugar, soy lecithin, natural vanilla), roasted cocoa bean pieces.
    The reason I know all this...I have a bar sitting in front of me right now. :bigsmile:
  • paige2010
    paige2010 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    why is thortons chocolate advertised when I'm reading this thread!?!?!!!?!? that's just mean!!!! Thanks for the advice - am definitely going to check out magnesium supplements, I googled them and I think they'll help. Can't go to dark chocolate, I can't stand the stuff!!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I also gave it up for lent. It was easier than I thought since I could still have candy. My skin has never been so clear.
  • bobbyvalentino
    Options
    a great fix for me that helps is organic chocolate soy milk/ still chocolate but much better.
  • alm0917
    alm0917 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A friend bet me I couldn't go a month without chocolate. That was New Year's Eve 2001. I haven't had a bit of chocolate or cocoa powder, since then. I just found alternatives. Instead of chocolate chips, I use butterscotch. Instead of chocolate sundaes, I have strawberry or caremel. These options aren't really healthy, either, :) but it's a start to curb the craving. The only time I crave it now is if I'm in closed quarters and can smell it. It's also hard explaining to people why I don't eat it. I usually just say I'm allergic to it. Much easier that way!

I have heard that the chocolate soy milk is pretty good. I know there are a lot of "diet" foods out there that are chocolate. Special K has several chocolate flavored items.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I was having self control issues with pop, I made it allowable, but inaccesible.

In other words, I didn't keep it in the house. If could work it into my calories for the day, I would allow myself the treat, but I had to walk up to the store to get it. No driving, and no "wander to the fridge" for it. :)
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How dare you post this when Im fixing to make Duncan Hines Fudge Brownies!!!! Im addicted as well but i had to learn to live with it. So i worked out hard today to get xtra cals/carbs/etc :blushing: I have decided not to give up any of my favs. I just make sure i work out and count my cals to include what i want. But i do understand your delima. Id rather give up soda or cheese before i give up choc. I know you cannot compare the two. I think it runs thru my veins!!!
  • paige2010
    Options
    I wouldn't mind allowing myself chocolate - but I just can't control myself with it. Yesterday I had 900 calories of chocolate in one sitting! It's working against my goals and its just not healthy. I try to keep chocolate inaccessible but my partner, who I live with, always buys me some, and people are work are always offering to pick me up something from the shop. I give in way too easy!! :(
  • paige2010
    Options
    I also gave it up for lent. It was easier than I thought since I could still have candy. My skin has never been so clear.

yeah I think my skin would look much better too. I'm wearing more make up than i used to :(

must... give... up... chocolate.

Is it hypocritical that as I type this my partner is at the shop buying me some..?!