Sketchers Shape Ups - Any Reviews?

Options
LongMom
LongMom Posts: 408 Member
I saw these shoes, Sketchers Shape - Ups at my local sports store and I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience wearing these things. A lot of my exercise comes from walking and I need new running shoes.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've heard both pros and cons about these shoes so I won't make any suggestions. However, just for clarification....These shoes are ONLY for walking. It is NOT recommended to wear them for any running or jogging. That is why I did not purchase them myself. :(
  • bgsball05
    Options
    I have a friend who is a personal trainer and she said that they do give results, but the results are so miniscule you don't even notice.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there any good..but they sure are ugly lol. I think reebok makes something like that and there alot better looking.
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I have similar shoes from Curves. I love them for walking and for everyday use, but as the person said before, they are not for running or other cardio exercise. I wore them to a bootcamp workout and it was hard in these shoes. I am glad I have them though, because I like how it feels when I walk and stand.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this topic... I was just thinking about these this morning!

I will agree with whomever said they are ugly, also. :laugh:
  • tamwallis
    tamwallis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok shoes which are similar. I like them for walking, and they look like normal shoes, which the Sketchers do not.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I bought the Avia yesterday...yeah, they are ugly

I did 6 miles today brisk jog walk and 5 miles more leisure walk...my calves are on fire and so is my outer hips...so, they are doing something....
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    the really do look funny lol. But if they work then.... I didn't realize you can't jog in them, does that include running after the kids?
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I think the avia you can jog in...I went to their website and that's the impression I got
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    You can try jogging in them. If they are comfortable for you, then there's no problem. I just know when I was moving around a lot in my bootcamp class, my feet really started hurting wearing them and they were hard to move back and forth in. Jogging might be okay. They are really good for walking though. Like I said, I love mine. I wear them at work and when I go to the grocery store, etc. and my feet don't hurt as they usually do. As I said though, I have the Curves Toning shoes, I'm not sure how they compare to Sketchers but they are the same concept.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The NY Times had an article on these type of shoes somewhat recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/health/08well.html

"But the claim that the shoes offer muscle toning is backed by a single study involving just five people, not published in a peer-reviewed academic journal."

My 2 cents: I think you're better served doing some strength training for your legs.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the valueable info!! Looks like if I'm buying these shoes, I'll need to buy a regular pair too. That might be too much $$$ for me at this point.

I *have* to walk a lot to get to work so was thinking these shoes would compliment that but I also love Zumba etc. and if I can't use these shoes - what's the point.

Maybe I'll ask for them as a present :)
  • jenn0113
    jenn0113 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have two pair - the tennis shoe looking ones for home and the Mary Janes for work. I wear them daily and love them. They are very comfortable and have helped me with my posture. As far as toning, I can't say I've noticed a different.

As far as jogging in them, I can't even wear them at a fast pace on my treadmill without getting overly winded, lol.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I have two pair - the tennis shoe looking ones for home and the Mary Janes for work. I wear them daily and love them. They are very comfortable and have helped me with my posture. As far as toning, I can't say I've noticed a different.

As far as jogging in them, I can't even wear them at a fast pace on my treadmill without getting overly winded, lol.

Ha I was going to tell Sarah to get your opinion Jenn. Jenn, Sarah (longmom) is my BFF, Sarah Jenn is my BBBFF (bulletin board bff lol)
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes they are ugly but some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I wear them if I'm going for a walk around the neighborhood or for the treadmill if I know I'm not going to be jogging or to the grocery store or mall. I certainly feel the "burn" more in my tush and inner thighs when I wear them also I have planterfaciatus and I don't have heal pain when I wear them (huge plus for me).
  • lorivent1
    lorivent1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I just bought a pair tonight. I walked on the treadmill with them. wow! I could feel the difference. I am going to try them for a month and see if I see any results.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    I have the Avia, but I don't like them. they kill my back!!! Not sure if it means I just need to get use to them but I had back surgery a couple years ago so when I get lower back pain, I stop whatever I'm doing right away!! I could hardly walk in them for more than 10 minutes let alone try to jog!!1lol My sister got the Sketchers this week and she really likes them, but she tried jogging last night when we were at gym and that DEFINATELy isn't going to work!!! Was really funny watching her try though!!!!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I have the Avia, but I don't like them. they kill my back!!! Not sure if it means I just need to get use to them but I had back surgery a couple years ago so when I get lower back pain, I stop whatever I'm doing right away!! I could hardly walk in them for more than 10 minutes let alone try to jog!!1lol My sister got the Sketchers this week and she really likes them, but she tried jogging last night when we were at gym and that DEFINATELy isn't going to work!!! Was really funny watching her try though!!!!

I have Avia and also noticed the lower back pain; but, I think it's working the back muscles and strengthening them....strengthening your back muscles will support your spine.

I did a fast jog/walk in them for 5 miles...I definitely felt it in my ankles, booty, outer thigh and lower back