why does losing weight have to be so hard???

Options

Replies

• 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Week one is hard... but After you get in the swing of things you'll move right along and your Mfp pals are great supporters!!! You'll have days that don't quite go your way but don't give up... you deserve this:)
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Part of the problem is having a negative mindset about weight loss. YES, it is hard. YES, you want anything that is salty, carby, and fatty. BUT you need to want to lose weight more. We have all been through it. Try to stay positive. Motivational phrases in your car, in mirrors, read the success stories in the forum. Interact with people here who are all going though it too.

In order to be successful, you have to do the work, and the work it hard---but being positive about it will make it easier. Try not to focus on the stuff you can't eat and find healthy alternatives. If you love bread, try a whole wheat pita or english muffin for your sandwiches instead...make sure that your food actually tastes good. I am obsessed with the Skinny Taste website (www.skinnytatse.com) The recipes are healthy and AMAZING. If your food tastes good (which is possible on a diet!) you won't feel so deprived.

Love this ^^^ .. I am about a week in and totally agree, it is about choices.. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, but I have a crap ton of pictures of my grand babies on my fridge reminding me that I am needed, find your personal motivation... You can do it...
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Apologies but I saw this online today and it made me laugh and it fits here....

"If weight loss was Easy..... it'd be called your Mom"
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    It is hard but once you start seeing results you won't stop!!!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You need to change your mind set. Focus on something other than food. If you're not eating in a way that you can live with the rest of your life, then it will not work. If you want carbs, eat carbs. Just eat them in moderation. Don't deprive yourself of them or you'll binge. If you're grumpy, then you're not eating enough. Up your goals to only lose 1 pound a week. This shouldn't be so hard.
  • DivaSlimsDown
    Options
    Don't give up! take it one day at a time. Its an extremely hard journey but it will be well worth it in the end. The feeling of being healthy is priceless. good luck.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be hard. Don't make it hard.

Drop that mentality.

Don't focus on the finish line. Focus on the next step. Do ONE thing today that will improve your life. Don't try to make all the changes at once.

Set smaller goals. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Choose water over soda or juice. Eat a piece of pizza, and have a salad on the side. Nothing should be off-limits. Eat what you want, just change how much of it you eat.

If you give up, you are only hurting yourself...you didn't get this way in a few weeks, you will not hit your goals in a few weeks. It takes time. Practice patience and perseverance.

It's taken me 3 years to lose over 100 pounds, and I am not even nearly at my goal yet. But I am not giving up. So you can't, either. <3
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's really simple, that doesn't make it easy to do. Losing weight is tantamount to overcoming an addiction (overeating is an addiction for many of us), and building a series of new habits.

Like any addiction or habit, patience is the most crucial ingredient. Yeah you can eat well today and exercise today. What's important is having the willpower to do it tomorrow, and the next day. You're going to have to fight against VERY strong feelings of "I don't want to". You won't want to, most of the time. But you really, really want to lose weight. That's more important than lying in bed for an extra hour or sitting on the couch or those snacks you're dying to eat.
  • Jori7071
    Jori7071 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving the car. Filling up at the gas station isn't the high point.

I love this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change is never easy, but it is very rewarding.

In RE to feeling hungry, etc...reading between the lines here tells me that you probably have your caloric goal set to low and/or your are exercising but not eating any of your exercise calories back...also, you're probably eating too many simple sugars/carbs that give you quick bursts of energy, but don't really fill you up and keep you going.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you are on the arbitrary 1,200 calorie/day diet. That's pretty hard to stick to and IMHO completely unnecessary. It may seem that it was easy to put on the weight...but believe it or not, it took time; it takes time to lose the weight as well. Shooting for a more modest .5 Lb to 1 Lb per week loss is much easier to stick to and doesn't leave you feeling like you can't open the fridge. I personally started at .5 Lb per week and did that for a couple of weeks just to get used to things and then reduced further to 1 Lb per week. Also, if you're not exercising, you should start; it doesn't have to be that intense go to the gym twice a day for 2 hours thing. Keep it simple. 30 minutes of moderately paced walking 3-5 times per week. Add in some strength training with various body weight exercises.

In RE to your food, eat more filling foods...fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains and you shouldn't feel hungry. When I'm having hunger pangs, I know something is wrong...I was having this issue when I went to the 1 Lb per week and I upped my caloric goal by 40 calories per day from MFP's suggested and that set me straight and I'm still losing just over 1 Lb per week. You'll likely have to play with it a bit and tweek it. They're just estimates based on statistical data.
  • haley129
    Options
    If you can do something for 21 days it will become a habit. But you have to get to the 21 days. Its hard especially during the holidays.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you are not ready to make the changes then it is not going to happen. Do you want this? Do you want to change your lifestyle? That is what it is. It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. You have to have it in your mind that you want to make changes. Once you get to that point it becomes a lot easier, and when you a start seeing results, you will want it even more. At least that is what happened to me.

You don't have to be deprived of carbs, eat them in moderation. Do some research on some healthy recipes. There are so many options. Strength train in addition to cardio. You can do this... Eat. Lift. Be awesome!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    The same reason as to why it is very hard to become rich.

Dear that is called LIFE and unfortunately all great things never come easy. In life, you only got two options: either live with it or leave.
  • netite
    netite Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving the car. Filling up at the gas station isn't the high point.

I love this!!

It might be helpful to log what you are going to eat before you eat it. That helps me to get a reality check and often I won't eat all of it. Plus, logging brings your food to a mindful level and you are aware of what you are going to eat. I can eat hundreds of calories in a fog of unawareness, but logging first clears my head. hmmm...I need to take my own advice. :embarassed:
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Keep trying. It takes time to do this. After lossing 57 pounds it a great daily habit. This is your health. Keep the faith. Bless you
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    OP - How many calories are you allowing yourself a day? If it's too few It can leave you feeling deprived and really be a motivation killer. Open up your diary so we can see what you are eating. You'll get more valuable feedback.
  • Dean513
    Options
    Take Baby Steps. You've got a lifetime of bad eating habits to deal with, and you're not going to change them in a week. You don't have to make it hard on yourself, discover what works for you and learn how to eat all over.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    -Pick a moderate calorie goal.Pick the "1 pound per week" or "half pound per week" weight loss goal, it is easier to stick to.
    You will be less likely to want to go off the track because you are satisfied with what you are eating rather than driving yourself insane with a low calorie "diet".

- 80/20 rule. 80% healthy good choices, 20% treats or whatever you want. Eat from all food groups unless a medical condition
    requires you to cut something out. Work your favorite foods into your calories for the day so you don't feel the need to binge on
    them (like your pizza).

-Take a 30 minute brisk walk 3-5 times per week. You don't need a crazy intense exercise regime especially when you first
    start out. Do some push ups, squats, dips, planks. Do whatever you can to fit some activity into your day.

-Stick to it. Don't give up. Persistence and patience are the key. Don't throw in the towel if you have one slip up. Get right back on it. These things take time.

All of this is fantastic advice! I didn't lose my weight living on diet food and starving myself. <<<This girl is a foodie and LOVES to eat and I finally figured out the reason all my past dieitng attempts failed is because I tried to deprive myself of the foods I enjoy. So instead of not having pizza, I just switched up the crust and topping choices and cut down on how much I eat. Instead of not eating sweets, I cut down on how many and the type I was eating - no more mindlessly shoveling down crap chocolate, it has to be the good stuff to be worth it. Instead of trying to live off carbs, I figured out that proteins and healthy fats keep me fuller so I eat more of those and whole grains. Instead of not making yummy casseroles like lasagna, I just used leaner meats, more veggies, less pasta and lighter sauces.

It IS possible to lose weight and still enjoy the process. And as others have said, try getting some exercise in to help give you some wiggle room with the calories. Set your goal at a lower point (1/2-1 pound per week) and MOST IMPORTANTLY be patient. It will come off, just give it time and don't give up!!
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It took about two weeks for me to get over the cravings and the crankiness. You just need to stick it out. I found increasing my protein and healthy fat while I lowered my sugar and carb/grain intake helped a lot. I didn't give up grains because I felt I had to and I don't necessarily agree with low carb diets however since I gave up bread and pasta my stomach is less upset so that is my motivation as opposed to doing it to lose weight. The first week is always the hardest and we think we are doing what we should be and then weeks later you realize what you did wrong in your first week. Weight loss is a learning curve. You'll get there, just stay focused. I also increased from 1200 (that MFP suggested) to doing 1570 helped me. I am still losing at the same pace as I was doing 1200 but I am far less cranky and have more energy.
  • karenjean03
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!! I started in June and wasnt losing the weight - in a month I had only lost 2 pounds - I thought why am I doing this but all of a sudden in September I lost like 20 pounds all at once. So Don't Give up - It will Happen.