Logging running/walking intervals

Options
I am just now getting back to running after having some back problems so I am on a strict program of running and walking intervals slowing increasing the run time. I am just not sure how to log that for my cardio. For instance today I alternated 3 minutes of walking and 3 minutes of running for almost 45 minutes. The only thing I saw that could maybe be similar was general cardio but i was surprised how low the number was. It was almost 200 less than the same amount of time on the elliptical, but my heart rate was way higher (170s while running and 140s while walking) so i would have thought it should be more since I keep my heart rate around 150 the whole time on the elliptical. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good way to log this?

Replies

• ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I log mine as two exercises. I figure out how long I actually run and log that, then do the same for walking.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you know the calories burned, log it as walk/run and put in your calories & how long. Then each time you do it, to get to the calories you need, just change the time to the most accurate calorie count.
  • melaniese
    melaniese Posts: 19
    Options
    best way to get the most accurate numbers is to use an heart rate monitor that will show you associated calories burned. I'm doing a running/walking program also and that's the best way to get the accurate information.
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    I saw some posts about heart rate monitors that tell you how many calories you burn and I am thinking about getting one. The heart rate monitor I have was a cheap one that only tells your heart rate and nothing else.

I didn't even think about logging 2 separate exercises. Thanks. I'll try that for now.