Clean & Lean foodmeats on a budget

Options
2»

Replies

• vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to not even consider doing this but we now buy a lot of our meat at the general store down the road. It is half the price that the large grocery stores charge! Its a little store that is clean but is old so being the picky person that I am, I was a little leery at first but we've had no problems! If there is something like this near you I would highly recommend it. Also, as someone else suggested if you can, hunting. Venison is cheap, lean and delicious!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Bulk seafood.

You can get about 16 frozen salmon fillets for $10 at the grocery store I shop at!

Similar things for other seafood, chicken, turkey, ground beef, etc.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get my meat at a small butcher shop and don't buy any of the **stuff** sold in the large supermarkets. I don't know about the price comparison, but you might as well take a look.

For other things, consider going bulk as others have suggested (Costco, BJs). Bulk seafood is very affordable.

If vegetables and fruits are too expensive, just buy in season (they are fresher too) or buy frozen. Frozen veggies stir fry just as good as fresh ones.

Meat in general is more expensive, so consider buying and eating more vegetables.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "I still don't understand why it is acceptable for you to get money to buy your own healthy food and yet there's not enough money to buy healthy food for the kids. Sorry, you either need to suck it up and cut your budget somewhere else - cell phones, cable, entertainment, personal spending - or sacrifice so your kids can eat healthy."
    [/quote]

Excellent point. I cant say this is acceptable to me because it is something I really do strugge with. I would easily choose cutting out the cable, cellphone, etc to afford quality food for all. I could have made that decion unilaterally, I suppose. I can guess how my wife would react to that! But I do try to build consensus within my family, but especially with my wife on big issues like this. They all decided in favor of cheap eats (at least on that day) but I felt glad I was allowed to carry the torch until theyI regained their senses. The fact remains that my wife does most of the shopping and cooking and spends more time with the kids. I cannot blame them if I dont get as fit as I hope to be.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    "I still don't understand why it is acceptable for you to get money to buy your own healthy food and yet there's not enough money to buy healthy food for the kids. Sorry, you either need to suck it up and cut your budget somewhere else - cell phones, cable, entertainment, personal spending - or sacrifice so your kids can eat healthy."

Excellent point. I cant say this is acceptable to me because it is something I really do strugge with. I would easily choose cutting out the cable, cellphone, etc to afford quality food for all. I could have made that decion unilaterally, I suppose. I can guess how my wife would react to that! But I do try to build consensus within my family, but especially with my wife on big issues like this. They all decided in favor of cheap eats (at least on that day) but I felt glad I was allowed to carry the torch until theyI regained their senses. The fact remains that my wife does most of the shopping and cooking and spends more time with the kids. I cannot blame them if I dont get as fit as I hope to be.
    [/quote]

whatever works in your family I guess....however my kids do not get to decide that they would like to eat nachos and chips instead of fruit....or pizza every night instead of something healthier.