too much flab on tummy!

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you see this girl? She was already slim, but she achieved what I think you are aiming for:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818686-skinnyfat-before-and-after
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight - you may just need to tone up.

But I think most women (and maybe men) have "rolls" when they sit. I do
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I need to.eat more? I'm scared I'll gain:/

Gaining weight can be a good thing. As said below. Eat more and weight train to build muscle. Unfortunately, when you are very low weight and don't have much lean muscle mass, cutting fat won't help because your muscles aren't developed. This is where you would benefit from a bulk phase. Gaining 10-20 lbs of muscle will give you the definition and leaner look. Read the below and don't judge your success on weight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

ps- look at a program like strong lift 5x5.. you need to lift heavy and low reps.
  • foodie99
    Options
    I don't worry too much about that whole BMI crap. If you're healthy, you're healthy. I'm 5'8" and 113lbs which is technically a little bit underweight.

Wow, at 5'8" I'd look sickly if I was 113. I'm aiming for 155.

Think this is just a good reminder that we can't all be equal, our body frame influences the number on the scale and what is healthy.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like you are healthy and smart! Good for you for not accepting that ridiculous advice to lose weight. In fact, if you pack on some muscle, you may gain weight. At your body weight, if you have stomach rolls, then you probably have a higher body fat % than what you would want (if you want abs to show). I'm 5'4", and at 115-117 lbs, and 17-18% body fat, my abs show. I'm a lot bigger (maybe 12 lbs) in my profile pic now.

Crunches, yoga, plank pose, pilates. Lift weights if you want to do that (I don't, I'm a triathlete and I do that first list of stuff) so that you can build your abs under the fat, plus doing anything physical like running/jogging/biking to burn some fat would help. Keep up the hiking, it's a fantastic leg and glute exercise, plus fun! Always do exercise that is fun for you, good for you! But if you are not getting your heart rate high enough through hiking to burn significant amounts of fat, then try spin class or jogging.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you don't need a 6 pack. Of course you don't, but if you want it, then why not? I want it too, and I'm a 36 y.o. mom.
  • aordean
    aordean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried P90X?
  • foodie99
    Options
    You may gain a little at first but your body needs the extra calories to build the muscle. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale if your looking and feeling better about your body! I've read a lot on here that heavy strength training, specifically squats and combination exercises that work the whole body are great for toning your tummy. Good luck!

This! :)

Eat enough to put on some muscle. Feeling yourself getting stronger is a huge confidence boost - and you'll likely lose some of that belly fat at the same time. You can easily get too stressed out over a few pounds - would you rather be 113 and still flabby, or 125 and fit/toned? No one but you sees the number on the scale

And 125 is still a great number!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Exhibit A is lovely.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Ahh thank you all for your input. I'll make sure to lift more than I do
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You may gain a little at first but your body needs the extra calories to build the muscle. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale if your looking and feeling better about your body! I've read a lot on here that heavy strength training, specifically squats and combination exercises that work the whole body are great for toning your tummy. Good luck!

This! :)

Eat enough to put on some muscle. Feeling yourself getting stronger is a huge confidence boost - and you'll likely lose some of that belly fat at the same time. You can easily get too stressed out over a few pounds - would you rather be 113 and still flabby, or 125 and fit/toned? No one but you sees the number on the scale

I second this^^

strength training makes all the difference.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

same shirt, same weight...the difference? about 6 months of strength training.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Looks the same to me ^^^^^
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have you heard about staci?? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she is 131lbs, on the right she is actually heavier at 142lbs.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg
  • abbyface
    Options
    Lift heavy, eat more.

Seriously, lifting 3x a week has done more for me in 2 months than 20 minutes of crunches 5x a week for 6 months.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    Will do:)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Have a look at 30 day shred. Either DVD or its on YouTube. I have done just 11 days of it and I have lost 3 inches and a couple of rolls of fat from my stomach. Loads of people getting results esp in stomach area, people of all weights & sizes
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I agree that the more hardcore workouts could give you a six pack, such as p90x but considering your age you might nor want to fork out a huge amount of cash. Alot of these popular workouts are on youtube for free. I also personally like fitnessblender on youtube. Eating protein will also help your muscles develop. But like everything on the internet, especially on forums take everything with a grain of salt. Just because someone lost 50 pounds doesnt make them an expert. Im sure alot of people on here do some unhealthy things, including myself from time to time and what works for one person might not work for you. I think myfitnesspal forums have alot of good information on them but also alot of bad so try to get your technical resources from an actual fitness trainer/doctor/nutritionist. Many of these professionals have online blogs and articles that are easily available.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I really want to tone up my stomach. When I sit... I have some fat rolls.

everyone does.

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/uncategorized/truth-of-six-pack-abs/

The much sought after and often media-hyped glorious stupendous supposedly guaranteed to make panties melt… six pack abs.

What a f@cking crock of sh#t.

The truth is that six pack abs will not bring you fame or fortune or anything more than the passing lust-filled glances of buxom beauties. And even more counter-intuitive, they often won’t bring you improved performance in athletic endeavors. Allow me to put on my lawyer hat and submit Exhibit A:

StanleyWETKings1.jpg

The above picture is of the recently crowned National Hockey League Champions, Los Angeles Kings. Maybe one guy in the bunch is lean enough to sport a six pack. But every single one of those guys are complete bad *kitten*. Imagine speed skating on ice, repetitively slamming into opposing team players at top speed night after night as you strive to show that you are at the top of your game. Those guys are at the proven pinnacle of their professional sport, and very few of them are sporting the coveted six pack abs. Dropping their body fat to a level that flaunts six pack abs simply does not comply with their goals. Does it really comply with yours?

Why do you really want six pack abs?

Is your desire for the coveted abs ego or performance based? I will concede that there are some endeavors where dropping your body fat to the level that displays a six pack is favorable. Notably this includes weight-class athletes such as boxers, wrestlers, MMA fighters, judokas, and other combat sport participants. But for most of us, the beautiful intersection of performance, aesthetics, and health does not necessarily include six pack abs.

So why do it?

There are several cliches about how the journey is more important than the destination. And acquiring six pack abs, for those of us of average genetics, is truly a journey. It involves sacrifice. It involves dedication and discipline and a host of other attributes that can carry over to areas of life that far exceed looking good at the pool in summertime.

But truth be told, I’ve never met anyone who wanted to get six pack abs to develop their character. They simply want to “look good naked”. I suppose there’s nothing wrong with that… but at the same time I personally crave more depth for my ambitions.

All of that being said, I know many people will still want to get their damned “six pack”. And having achieved that goal more than once myself (and having helped others achieve it as well) I understand the quest. If you really want to “get ripped” be prepared for the following:

What you eat is more important than any workout. So many people seek the “killer workout”. And that is such bullsh#t. The killer of body fat resides in your diet. It would be great if 30 minutes of exercise effort could erase 23 and a half hours of nutritional debauchery but it just doesn’t work that way. Six pack abs are built with your fork, not your damned workouts.

Be prepared to get light as hell. Especially if you have never achieved the coveted six pack abs, be prepared to get much lighter than you expect. My personal “walk around” weight is between 160 – 165 lbs. And I need to drop down to the mid 140′s to have a six pack.

Nearly any exercise protocol will work. My personal preference is to focus on strength training, even when trying to get lean. I like to supplement strength training with high intensity interval or circuit training. I rarely do (or recommend) any direct abdominal training. I feel long slow cardio is unnecessary but if you enjoy it, then it can be worked into a successful fat loss program. What I’m saying is that nearly any exercise protocol can work to get you lean as long as your diet is dialed in. Sure some protocols may work better than others, but I’m skeptical as to just how much better one is over the other for the express purpose of getting lean.

So what does it all mean? It means that if you have the itch then scratch it. Just don’t expect that successful scratch to make any monumental difference in your life in and of itself. Six pack abs will not cure what ails you, but acquiring them might provide you with tools that can transfer to other more worthy areas of your life. And I suppose that’s why I can still produce guides and programs that help people achieve their six pack goals with some semblance of peace of mind.

Why is this being ignored???
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

everyone does.

The much sought after and often media-hyped glorious stupendous supposedly guaranteed to make panties melt… six pack abs.

The truth is that six pack abs will not bring you fame or fortune or anything more than the passing lust-filled glances of buxom beauties. And even more counter-intuitive, they often won’t bring you improved performance in athletic endeavors. Allow me to put on my lawyer hat and submit Exhibit A:

StanleyWETKings1.jpg

The above picture is of the recently crowned National Hockey League Champions, Los Angeles Kings. Maybe one guy in the bunch is lean enough to sport a six pack. But every single one of those guys are complete bad *kitten*. Imagine speed skating on ice, repetitively slamming into opposing team players at top speed night after night as you strive to show that you are at the top of your game. Those guys are at the proven pinnacle of their professional sport, and very few of them are sporting the coveted six pack abs. Dropping their body fat to a level that flaunts six pack abs simply does not comply with their goals. Does it really comply with yours?

Why is this being ignored???

because people don't focus on positive information around here.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why do it? Because **** you thats why. *even more determined after reading this post* LOL

But to OP, you dont want a six pack, right? You just don't want to have an excessive amount of visible fat? I suggest you continue on your caloric deficit and strength train. Give it time. Lots and lots of time. :)

everyone does.

StanleyWETKings1.jpg

Is your desire for the coveted abs ego or performance based? I will concede that there are some endeavors where dropping your body fat to the level that displays a six pack is favorable. Notably this includes weight-class athletes such as boxers, wrestlers, MMA fighters, judokas, and other combat sport participants. But for most of us, the beautiful intersection of performance, aesthetics, and health does not necessarily include six pack abs.

So why do it?

There are several cliches about how the journey is more important than the destination. And acquiring six pack abs, for those of us of average genetics, is truly a journey. It involves sacrifice. It involves dedication and discipline and a host of other attributes that can carry over to areas of life that far exceed looking good at the pool in summertime.

But truth be told, I’ve never met anyone who wanted to get six pack abs to develop their character. They simply want to “look good naked”. I suppose there’s nothing wrong with that… but at the same time I personally crave more depth for my ambitions.

All of that being said, I know many people will still want to get their damned “six pack”. And having achieved that goal more than once myself (and having helped others achieve it as well) I understand the quest. If you really want to “get ripped” be prepared for the following:

What you eat is more important than any workout. So many people seek the “killer workout”. And that is such bullsh#t. The killer of body fat resides in your diet. It would be great if 30 minutes of exercise effort could erase 23 and a half hours of nutritional debauchery but it just doesn’t work that way. Six pack abs are built with your fork, not your damned workouts.

Be prepared to get light as hell. Especially if you have never achieved the coveted six pack abs, be prepared to get much lighter than you expect. My personal “walk around” weight is between 160 – 165 lbs. And I need to drop down to the mid 140′s to have a six pack.

Nearly any exercise protocol will work. My personal preference is to focus on strength training, even when trying to get lean. I like to supplement strength training with high intensity interval or circuit training. I rarely do (or recommend) any direct abdominal training. I feel long slow cardio is unnecessary but if you enjoy it, then it can be worked into a successful fat loss program. What I’m saying is that nearly any exercise protocol can work to get you lean as long as your diet is dialed in. Sure some protocols may work better than others, but I’m skeptical as to just how much better one is over the other for the express purpose of getting lean.

So what does it all mean? It means that if you have the itch then scratch it. Just don’t expect that successful scratch to make any monumental difference in your life in and of itself. Six pack abs will not cure what ails you, but acquiring them might provide you with tools that can transfer to other more worthy areas of your life. And I suppose that’s why I can still produce guides and programs that help people achieve their six pack goals with some semblance of peace of mind.