Coconut Milk

I've noticed a lot of people talk about coconut milk in the forum, I came across an easy recipe I would like to share

Homemade coconut milk instructions

Ingredients
■4 cups water
■1.5 – 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes

Instructions
■Heat water until hot (but not boiling).
■Add shredded coconut and water to blender (preferably a Vitamix!) If all of the water won’t fit, you can add it in two batches.
■Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
■Pour through a colander to filter out the coconut pulp, then squeeze through a cheese cloth
or nut milk bag to filter the smaller pieces of coconut.
■If you separated the water into two batches, put the strained coconut back into the blender with the second batch of water.
■Drink immediately or store in the fridge. Fresh coconut milk should be used within 3-4 days of making it for the best flavor and texture.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    You can buy coconut milk at the store
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

Just ended this right quick! /
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member

i find it easier to find and cheaper to buy than finding/buying the coconut flakes...especially unsweetened ones...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member

i find it easier to find and cheaper to buy than finding/buying the coconut flakes...especially unsweetened ones...

they sell coconuts at a store too...
  • Alex_is_Hawks

they sell coconuts at a store too...

they break my hammer.....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

So should I not churn my own butter, just because I can buy it at the store?

Thanks for the recipe OP, ignore the trolls. :flowerforyou:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    *bump* for future reference
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member

Why not? I milk my own cow.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Well I appreciate the recipe OP. I always prefer to make from scratch and I'm sure many others do do:) so thank you for the recipe!
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    im gonna give this recipe to my mom she might want to make some :) thank you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

Why not? I milk my own cow.

Me too
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Seems like a neat recipe. I prefer fresh coconut water/milk out of the coconut but good alternative. :)
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member

unsweetened coconut flakes are in the baking aisle of any grocery store
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member

I call BS.

They almost always only sell sweetened. Unsweetened is a heckuva lot harder to find.
  • Alex_is_Hawks

I call BS.

They almost always only sell sweetened. Unsweetened is a heckuva lot harder to find.

I agree...i have to go to the nutrition store halfway across the city to find unsweetened...

now sweetened are in ANY baking aisle of any store I walk into

jus sayin
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

I call BS.

Unsweetened coconut flakes are most times found in the bulk bins of the grocery store by the raw nuts or can be ordered online through Tropical Traditions (my favorite).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Or you can hit up your natural foods store. They will probably have them (and they're not necessarily more expensive than the grocery store would be).

To also add to this conversation: Making your own milk, regardless of how hard it is to find the flakes, will be less expensive than buying milk form the store. Coconut milk is crazy expensive!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    None of the grocery stores in my area (CT suburbs) sell unsweetened coconut flakes (I've checked)

They do, however, sell unsweetened coconut milk for like 99 cents a can
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member

i haven't been able to find any flakes anywhere around here. shredded yes, sweetened and unsweetened, and at goodness me i found chunks but they were full of sugar.
  • There are many reasons to make things yourself! I suspect that homemade coconut milk would also be fabulous, thank you for the recipe!

Also, there is nothing tastier than butter made with cream that came off the cow in the pasture. Also makes real buttermilk, not to be confused with the strange thing you buy at the store that goes by that name. Seriously. If you've not had the pleasure, then you are missing out. :)