Ankle/Wrist Weights

GiGi76
GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok i got a question.... how many extra calories do you think im burning in a 45min walk while wearing 3lbs weights on either each wrist or each leg!!! I walk one day with them on my ankles then the next day with them on my wrist. I was just wondering if its enough calories to worry with.... Thanks!

Replies

• shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    I really need an answer on this also!!!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I doubt you burn extra calories... just work your muscles a bit... building endurance.
  • lcarter01
    lcarter01 Posts: 8 Member
    This is a really good ?? I bought a Polor heart Rate monitor so I'll walk tomorrow without my 3lb ankle weights and Wed i'll walk with them Thursday. I am alot bigger that you but it will give you a idea.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    That's funny, I just spent the last 5 minutes reading the comments here:

http://exercise.about.com/b/2006/07/11/in-the-forum-running-with-weights.htm

Because I was looking for exactly the same information.

I've been hitting the treadmill with 3lb dumbells the last few days and I've noticed that it seems significantly more intense. I've never sweated so much in my life!

It seems as though there are conflicting viewpoints on the matter. Everybody seems to agree that it's more of a workout, though some people think it may be unsafe.

All I know is that I like the results. I'm eager to see what your HRM reports.
  • phern55
    phern55 Posts: 8
    Ankle and Wrist weights also help strengthen arm and leg muscles in addition to adding more "load" to carry.

As far as calculating how much more you burn, you would add the weight of the weights to your body weight and calculate how many calories a person of that weight would weigh.

If I put on my two ten pound ankle weights and two five pound wrist weights as well as my twenty pound weighted vest, I have added 50 pounds to my body weight. So instead of calculating how many calories a 260 pound man would burn, I would calculate how many calories a 310 pound man would burn.

That's my guess, anyway.
    Anyone who really knows what they are talking about is welcome to confirm or reject.
    I would be interested in knowing.
  • Яaquel
    Яaquel Posts: 90
    crazy lol I just bought mines today can't wait to walk with them tomorrow!!!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    This is a really good ?? I bought a Polor heart Rate monitor so I'll walk tomorrow without my 3lb ankle weights and Wed i'll walk with them Thursday. I am alot bigger that you but it will give you a idea.

Ok thanks!!! That would help alot!!!
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Bumping into my topics to see if there are any HRM results on this one.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Bump.
This discussion has been closed.