Coconut Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    They sell marinara at the store but I still like to make my own. They also sell pies but I like making my own.

Thanks for the recipe OP.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You can buy coconut milk at the store

i find it easier to find and cheaper to buy than finding/buying the coconut flakes...especially unsweetened ones...
    unsweetened coconut flakes are in the baking aisle of any grocery store
    I call BS.

They almost always only sell sweetened. Unsweetened is a heckuva lot harder to find.

I agree...i have to go to the nutrition store halfway across the city to find unsweetened...

now sweetened are in ANY baking aisle of any store I walk into

jus sayin
    do you have a kroger in your area? kroger brand makes unsweetened flakes so i would think all kroger stores would carry them.
  • Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Indian grocery stores carry shredded unsweetend coconut.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks. I'm not a fan of coconut but I've been considering trying coconut milk or water. (I love the oil)
  • charitycrafter
    charitycrafter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the recipe.

Over the weekend I saw that Whole Foods has the unsweetened coconut flakes. I've also found it at asian markets.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

i find it easier to find and cheaper to buy than finding/buying the coconut flakes...especially unsweetened ones...
    I call BS.

They almost always only sell sweetened. Unsweetened is a heckuva lot harder to find.

I agree...i have to go to the nutrition store halfway across the city to find unsweetened...

now sweetened are in ANY baking aisle of any store I walk into

jus sayin
    do you have a kroger in your area? kroger brand makes unsweetened flakes so i would think all kroger stores would carry them.

nope....i don't...i'm Canadian....Kroger isn't up here. But thanks for helping...I do appreciate that! :smile:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

I call BS.

Unsweetened coconut flakes are most times found in the bulk bins of the grocery store by the raw nuts or can be ordered online through Tropical Traditions (my favorite).

My grocery store doesn't have bulk bins or raw nuts. I don't have internet access to order online, can you order it for me and have it shipped to my grocer?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

I call BS.

Unsweetened coconut flakes are most times found in the bulk bins of the grocery store by the raw nuts or can be ordered online through Tropical Traditions (my favorite).

My grocery store doesn't have bulk bins or raw nuts. I don't have internet access to order online, can you order it for me and have it shipped to my grocer?

While you're at it, let me email you my entire grocery needs. I prefer everything from one source.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The Silk brand is tasty! I buy that, and almond milk for various things. Almond milk is lower in cals & I use it with my protein shakes. Coconut milk I drink straight with meals or when I have a craving for something sweet.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

So should I not churn my own butter, just because I can buy it at the store?

Thanks for the recipe OP, ignore the trolls. :flowerforyou:
    Why not? I milk my own cow.

I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe OP. I make my own shredded coconut. Their easier to process if you freeze them. Depending on the amount

of water in the coconut it will generally crack itself in the frozen state. ( ice water expands) After this happens I remove the coconut

and place it in a pan to collect the water as it thaws. Then pry open the coconut with a large spoon or a couple of raps with a

hammer. using the spoon I pare out the meat of the coconut and then shred it in the food processor. Then put it in the food

dehydrator over night. Once the shredded coconut is dried I place it in mason jars and put a lid on it. I use shredded coconut

daily on salads and homemade Greek yogurt. I buy a lot of coconut milk, so I figure I'll give your recipe a go. Thanks for

sharing.:smile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I call BS.

While you're at it, let me email you my entire grocery needs. I prefer everything from one source.

Wow, so pathetic for both of these comments to be snarky when I was merely stating where you can find unsweetened coconut flakes.

Tropical Traditions isn't sold in grocery stores and obviously you have internet access somewhere because you are posting online.

I will bow out of these forums for the day before I say something that will get me banned for life.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Wow, so pathetic for both of these comments to be snarky when I was merely stating where you can find unsweetened coconut flakes.

Tropical Traditions isn't sold in grocery stores and obviously you have internet access somewhere because you are posting online.

I will bow out of these forums for the day before I say something that will get me banned for life.

You are right, there is no need for this to get nasty.. Common guys :angry:
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find unsweetened coconut flakes. I just buy it in the store.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

So should I not churn my own butter, just because I can buy it at the store?

Thanks for the recipe OP, ignore the trolls. :flowerforyou:
    Why not? I milk my own cow.

I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?

I made milk once...