Vegetarian eating & the Engine2 diet

Options
KyleB65
KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
Moving to a vegetarian diet has been bouncing around my head for over a year. I have made a couple of feeble attempts only to circle back to my normal diet which includes meat.

I did better in the summer months when it was hot and there was an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables available. Now that the cold months are here, I find I crave meat anchored meals more.

A friend of my wife is a vegetarian and suggested I check out the "Engine2 Diet" challenge. I have heard about this and will check out the web site over the coming weekend when I have the time to peruse properly.

Has anyone out there in MFP land had any experience with this diet/plan? If so, comments? Successes? Failures? Hype? etc. etc.

I would especially enjoy reading any feedback from people who weight train. I am active in a Martial Arts, running and weights. I feel that increasing strength while eating vegetarian might be difficult?

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't know that specific diet, but I've done all my weight training as a vegetarian. I wouldn't say it's hard - I mean, it requires maybe more attention than eating a standard diet, but about the same as any other "serious" (however you define that) bodybuilding diet.

I mean, Kenneth Williams, right?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not entirely on topic but you might find the Human Kinetics text 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' by Enette Larson Meyer useful.
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any specific knowledge of the Engine2, but as someone who trains in Muay Thai and does not eat meat I can say I have not noticed any strength issues. If anything I have more energy and strength when not eating meat, and I also find you tend to eat a much better overall diet when you have to source foods that will meet your needs but are free of animal products.
    If you have doubts about MMA and vegetarianism, check out Mac Danzig.

I eat dairy, so not a vegan, but this site may be helpful http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=news