Does weight lifting burn calories?

Options
I went over my calories for today and am planning on doing my regular weight lifting later but do I need to add cardio to my workout or does weight lifting burn calories? I need to burn about 200

Replies

• brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    weight lifting doe's burn calories but not a lot cardio is the best way
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No, weight lifting itself does not. 30 minutes on any cardio machine will burn 200 though. Weight lifting takes a lot longer for you to burn calories. It increases your muscle mass which increases your basel metabolic rate. You have to do quite a bit of strength training for it to take effect, but you need to do it. Cardio doesn't work very well by itself.
  • keffy
    keffy Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes weight lifting does burn calories. You burn calories even in your sleep. It is just that when you go on a cario machine, it is much easier to track calorie burning because the machine will estimate it for you. I find that too many females especially skip out on weight lifting due to this fact and because they don't want to 'bulk up', but weight lifting is a great way to tone and burn calories.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight training does burn calories, but you would have to do a more vigorous weight regim tonight to burn 200 calories, but if you throw in a bit of cardio, maybe 15 minutes or so, it will balance it out with the weight training for you.

Goodluck
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    As long as you can feel your heart rate racing, then I dare say you are burning something ;-).
  • jgod42
    jgod42 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes you burn calories. If you want to burn the most don't rest in between sets. Do two sets together that work different body parts. That way you don't have to rest in between.
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    thanks so much for all the input!! Awesome advice
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM yesterday when I did a bodyworks class (lighter weights lots of reps) I burned 257 calories in 45 minutes (it was an hour class but I forgot to turn my HRM on til 15 minutes into it) It showed that 33 minutes was in the fat burning zone and 12 minutes in the fitness/cardio zone. This class consists of a lot lunges, both stationary and walking, squats, and isolation weight lifting. So in answering your question weight lifting does burn calories. It has also been proven that after lifting weights you burn calories longer then when doing cardio. It's all good :wink:
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    I agree that it burns calories, but do you guys eat the calories you burn? My HRM shows that I burned 444 calories, 321 of which were during cardio and the remainder during the last 30 minutes of weight training. Do I eat them or not?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    It basically depends upon how long you rest between sets. I do circuits where I do mostly bodyweight exercises (pushups, burpees, hanging leg raises, tuck jumps, jump lunges) and only rest about 15 seconds between sets. After doing 20 minutes of this type of circuit I am about where I would be (heart-rate wise, calorie-burn wise) than if I had run for the same amount of time. The added bonus is that weight lifting of this type also has the potential for "after burn" meaning that it increases the amount you will be burning for awhile after the workout is over.