Elliptical Question!

Options
I've noticed this problem....

Let's say I do cardio on an elliptical for 40 minutes at the gym and it says my calories burned is a little over 300. Then I come on here and type in 40 minutes on an elliptical and it automatically calculates 408 calories burned. Which is correct? Do I just accept the 408 or should I say I only worked out for say 32 minutes so that the calculation is what it says at the gym? It just sucks doing that because then I could be under my workout minutes for the week even if I actually did all the minutes!

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you usually do?

Replies

• mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    you can change the calories burned amount. i usually just change mine if i know what the amount from the machine is :)
  • s_parziale
    Options
    After you enter your minutes you can adjust the calories burned too. Then you still get credit for them all!!
  • shanna618
    shanna618 Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks...definitely didnt realize you can do that...being a newbie and all :blushing:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It depends on you... I do 33 minutes and it varies from 410 to 422 depends on how my heart rate is and how many strides i take... I just input my weight and age and it does the rest for me.. however when i add 33 min in my eliptical on here it comes up 606 automatically...
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    The machines and MFP calculations for calories aren't accurate- Best way is to get a HRM but if you don't have one then I would underestimate just to be on the safe side especially if you are eating back your calories..
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good HRM that you set specifically for yourself...(age, height, weight). God made all of us different and we all burn calories differently. The machines at the gym always put me higher so I take the calories burned from the reading I recieve on my HMR and that is what I log into my excercise journal.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good HRM that you set specifically for yourself...(age, height, weight). God made all of us different and we all burn calories differently. The machines at the gym always put me higher so I take the calories burned from the reading I recieve on my HMR and that is what I log into my excercise journal.