Now I'm confused. :/

Options
I keep seeing starvation mode doesn't exist, and then it does..
Or to eat back your exercise calories, then...don't.
A calorie is a calorie, and then... you'll only lose weight eating healthy.
Lose 5 pounds a week, lose .5 pounds a week...
eat 900 calories a day, eat 2,000 calories a day...
you can't gain muscle if you're at a calorie deficit? (I really would like to know if this is true...)
Don't do cardio...only do cardio.

I just want to know some good, correct information..
because I'm getting more confused by the minute..

Replies

• GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Me too girl. I have a feeling the forums are mostly opinions and what works for one may not work for another.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    All of that depends on the situation.

Starvation mode is real and true, but what everyone on here CALLS starvation mode is actually malnutrition.

Weight loss should slow down the less you have to lose. There is some scientific data suggesting how much fat can be burned n a give day based on the amount of fat the body currently has. So, the less fat, the less that can be burned. When you try to burn more than you are able to, other things start to happen like muscle loss.

Eat back calories if you don't have exercise calculated into your TDEE. Don't eat them back if you calculated exercise into your TDEE.

Muscle building depends on the rate of anabolism in your body. The greater your caloric deficit, the lower the level of anabolism. The greater your caloric surplus, the higher the level of anabolism. Both of these are to a point. If your current level of anabolism can do your daily repairs as needed and has left overs basically, then you can add some muscle until there is no more left over (this is worded so poorly and unscientifically, but I am lazy and just want the point across lol).
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me too girl. I have a feeling the forums are mostly opinions and what works for one may not work for another.

This! Weight loss isn't linear.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    All of that depends on the situation.

Starvation mode is real and true, but what everyone on here CALLS starvation mode is actually malnutrition.

Weight loss should slow down the less you have to lose. There is some scientific data suggesting how much fat can be burned n a give day based on the amount of fat the body currently has. So, the less fat, the less that can be burned. When you try to burn more than you are able to, other things start to happen like muscle loss.

Eat back calories if you don't have exercise calculated into your TDEE. Don't eat them back if you calculated exercise into your TDEE.

Muscle building depends on the rate of anabolism in your body. The greater your caloric deficit, the lower the level of anabolism. The greater your caloric surplus, the higher the level of anabolism. Both of these are to a point. If your current level of anabolism can do your daily repairs as needed and has left overs basically, then you can add some muscle until there is no more left over (this is worded so poorly and unscientifically, but I am lazy and just want the point across lol).

^^^^
    This.
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    I think it comes from people who each try a different kind of extreme strategy that worked for them and then it automatically becomes the new way to lose weight after the first famous person says yes it works or no it doesn't. Eat what makes you feel good, and do whatever works best for you. If you wake up saying damn i look like hell and feel like crap you probably need to rule that strategy out. And for the question you really wanted to know about .... idk how much is true but it was interesting lol

http://manbicep.com/2012/03/18/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat/
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The problem is that everybody's body is different, so different things will work for different people. I'll address your questions to the best of my knowledge.

As far as I know, starvation mode does exist, but it's not nearly as easy to hit as people think. There are people who will panic if you have one day that's below 1200 calories. I'm not suggesting eating less than 1200, but if it happens once a while, you won't completely wreck your metabolism forever. It takes a lot more than that!

I eat back some, but not all, of my exercise calories. That's what works for me. The typical idea is that you should eat them back.

A calorie is a calorie. People have lost weight by eating only crap, AND even improved their health in other ways, like lower blood pressure, etc. There was actually a really interesting article on it here a little while ago... but I'm too lazy to hunt it down now. :P That said, you will FEEL better and more energized while you are losing weight if you eat healthy. I find a nice balance works, I'm not 100% healthy by any measure. But that's me.

A lot of people will say 1 or 2 pounds a week is the rate to shoot for, but there's actually a little more to it. My research shows that losing 1% of your body weight a week is a nice healthy rate.

900 calories is too low as a general thing. It's typically accepted that you don't want to eat under 1200 a day, but that might still be too low for you. If you've entered your info and goals correctly into MFP, it should give you an idea of where to start with your calorie count. Keep in mind, if you plan to enter your exercise separately, then choose "Sedentary" for your activity level. Otherwise you'll be counting it twice.

No, you can't build muscle mass while you are at a deficit, but you CAN tone. At least that's been my experience. So, if you are looking to be lean, you are fine. Just do your workouts. But, if you are looking to bulk up (which is typically hard for women), you will have to eat more.

Cardio is good, but so is weight lifting. If you only want to do one, I would focus on the weigh training. You won't bulk up. I've found a combination really works for me. It revs up my metabolism and helps me maintain lean muscle mass so the majority of the weight I'm losing is fat. I take a Pump Up class and a Spin class. Both work on strength and toning, while spiking my heart rate.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think the only "fact" you can count on is that no matter the topic, everyone will have a different opinion about what is "true".

Different approaches work for different people. Some people have success eating back exercise calories, some people have success not doing so. The reason it can be so variable is that most people's actual BMR and TDEE are not exactly what the formulas estimate, and most people's actual calories burned from exercise are not exactly what MFP estimates. And to make it even more complicated, the calories you're logging may not be that accurate either.

Trial and error is the only way to figure out what approach will work for you, and it's really best to diligently follow one strategy for at least a few weeks before determining if it works for you or not. Treat it with the same level of exactitude that you would a science experiment (measure, weigh, keep notes of your progress).

But here are my thoughts on each of your questions (note that I am not an expert):

*Starvation mode - I think metabolism can slow on severe calorie deficits. Ensuring that you consume enough protein to supply your muscles with fuel should theoretically prevent that, but generally it's wise not to cut calories too low, mostly because it's harder to sustain as a lifestyle.

*Eating back exercise calories - here's where trial and error is important. My philosophy is that if I do vigorous exercise for more than an hour in a day, you'd better believe I'm going to need to eat more. If I take a walk for twenty minutes, no real need to fuel up.

*A calorie is a calorie - physics will tell you that this is true. Biology will tell you that those calories should be nutritionally dense for optimal health. I eat a lot of unhealthy and fat-laden foods on the weekends because I live in a hotbed of culinary activity and it would be a crime to eat boiled chicken breast and kale every day. But nutritionally dense calories tend to be more filling and make me feel good, so I try to get plenty of those too. Balance between the two keeps me sane (and keeps my cholesterol and blood pressure low!).

*Weight loss speed - I think it's probably wise to think of it more as a % of your total weight rather than pounds. If you weigh 130 pounds and you're trying to lose 5lbs a week, you'd better cut your arm off because it's the only way you'll get there. If you weigh 300 pounds, 5lbs a week is not impossible.

*How much to eat - see Trial and Error mentioned above, but use BMR as a baseline. From 6 months of monitoring my own intake/output, I found that my true BMR was lower than the calculators estimated. The only way to tell is to diligently track and then compare how much you actually lost to what your projected loss would have been over the same several weeks. Then you'll know if you need to adjust calories up or down.

*Can you gain muscle at a calorie deficit? I think so (I have, personally), depending on the composition of the calories you're getting, the timing of when you're eating those calories vs. when you're exercising, and the type of exercise you're doing.

*Cardio - it has its merits... good for endurance, good for heart health. Personally I like a combination of cardio, heavy weights/body weight strength training, flexibility and just plain fun. So one day I'll do zumba (fun/cardio) and then a shoulders & arms weight circuit (strength). Another day I'll do yoga (flexibility) and a leg circuit (strength). Another day I'll swim (cardio) and then go dancing (fun). The workouts you choose should vary based on your goals and based on what's enjoyable to you.

Yes, it's confusing. There are tons of theories, but at the end of the day your personal metabolism does not necessarily match what a calculator is estimating. So monitored trial and error is the best way to tell what is the right strategy for you.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think the only "fact" you can count on is that no matter the topic, everyone will have a different opinion about what is "true".

This is so true!!! Everyone is different, every body is different, and there is a lot of unprofessional advice being dispersed on the forum. Often with well meant intentions- but bad nonetheless.

I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what has worked for me. Knowledge. Knowledge of your body and what it needs, what makes you gain weight? What are your trigger foods? Everything that makes you gain weight (for me its potatoes in any form- and I love them!!! :grumble: ). How did you get where you are now? Didn't happen overnight right? Start making small changes. Don't worry about what everyone on here is saying- outside of practical suggestions. I advise you talk to your dr, let him/her know your goals, and tell them what your challenges are. They will be able to assess what you should do medically.

I teach fitness classes 5+ times a week- (often more). Cardio benefits include (for most) weight loss, stress relief, increased endurance, (plus many more- these are what keeps me going). Weight training- essential to those who want to do more than drop weight- a muscle that has been worked out will continue to burn calories past the workout- thats a win win for me.

But #1 for all of us who have dealt with weight loss is diet. What you eat is your key factor to what you are losing or not. Thats why so many can work out like crazy and not lose weight, and why people who don't work out can still lose weight if they change and monitor their diet faithfully. Exercise is a componate to the results- but likely not much will change if diet is not changed.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes everyone is unique. If you post your height, weight, age, activity level and goals I'm sure you'll get some advice tailored just for you if that's what you are looking for.

One point I'll comment on can you build muscle in a deficit....wel no not really but for ladies we probably don't wan tto build much anyway. I'm proof though that you can tone muscle while in a deficit (if you get enough protein and add some weights to your cardio)which is awesome because you tone what's underneath and as the fat starts to melt away what you are left wiht is 100% better!

So my advice is always do some weights with your cardio...Actually my favorite is boot camp and body weight exercises...I hardly ever lift an actual weight but I can now see defined muscles in my bicepts that I have never seen before.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love this topic and am so glad you posted it. I got called out last night for being 53 cals under 1200 like it was the end of the world. I wasn't hungry anymore so I didn't see the big deal. I normally eat a decent amount, so when I'm not hungry, it's pretty rare. I think, like what most people are saying here, that it's best to do what feels right for you. Burn a little more than you eat. Make healthier choices and move your body. I think those are the key points to weight loss (of course, that's MY opinion!!).

As much as it's good to be concerned for people, especially when we're all here to support one another, I think we should all make sure to not jump on someone if they were a little off for what "they" think is right. We all have different bodies!